How to connect a 2nd wireless pc

Old July 10th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Brown

Default How to connect a 2nd wireless pc

I'm using talktalk and I've connected my laptop using a router (the laptop
appears to have an inbuilt wireless receiver). I've got another pc in
another part of the house and I want to connect that via the router. I've
plugged in the Netgear USB adaptor to the USB port at the back of my pc and
it's now connecting to the talktalk network.

Trouble is: how to a tell Internet Explorer to connect to the Internet using
this wireless connection? When I go into IE connections I only get the old
connections (two old dial up connections). I don't have the option to click
"use the wireless connection". How can I do this?

I would appreciate any help

Peter

Old July 10th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

Well, you don't need to tell IE anything !
Which operating system are you using ?
If it is XP and the wireless is switched on - then the laptop would tell you
that there is an available connection.

Old July 10th 06, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Peter Brown wrote:
I'm using talktalk and I've connected my laptop using a router (the laptop
appears to have an inbuilt wireless receiver). I've got another pc in
another part of the house and I want to connect that via the router. I've
plugged in the Netgear USB adaptor to the USB port at the back of my pc and
it's now connecting to the talktalk network.

Trouble is: how to a tell Internet Explorer to connect to the Internet using
this wireless connection? When I go into IE connections I only get the old
connections (two old dial up connections). I don't have the option to click
"use the wireless connection". How can I do this?

I would appreciate any help

Peter

You shouldn't need to. IE should pick up the Wireless connection
automatically assuming it's set up correctly.

If you're getting old dial up connection prompts then try selecting the
option to never dial a conection or dial whenever a network conection is
not present.

Kind Regards,

--
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old July 10th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Peter Brown wrote:

I'm using talktalk and I've connected my laptop using a router (the
laptop appears to have an inbuilt wireless receiver). I've got
another pc in another part of the house and I want to connect that
via the router. I've plugged in the Netgear USB adaptor to the USB
port at the back of my pc and it's now connecting to the talktalk
network.
Trouble is: how to a tell Internet Explorer to connect to the
Internet using this wireless connection? When I go into IE
connections I only get the old connections (two old dial up
connections). I don't have the option to click "use the wireless
connection". How can I do this?
I would appreciate any help

Peter

Isn't there an option to connect via your LAN? If so, use that. [In effect,
your router and 2 wireless PCs constitute a Local Area Network].
--
Cheers,
Roger