Wireless Router recommendation please

Old July 10th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Curtis

Default Wireless Router recommendation please

My Netgear 814 is displaying problems and I think it is time for a
replacement. (a borrowed router is working fine!)
Planning ahead I suppose I should go down the wireless route.

I need a minimum of 3 ports and since the main use will be for internet
sharing are the 108's any real advantage?
Alternatively can someone direct me to a review site please! (adslguide
didn't seem to have any recent ones).

Regards
Chris Curtis

Old July 10th 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Chris Curtis wrote:
My Netgear 814 is displaying problems and I think it is time for a
replacement. (a borrowed router is working fine!)
Planning ahead I suppose I should go down the wireless route.

I need a minimum of 3 ports and since the main use will be for internet
sharing are the 108's any real advantage?
Alternatively can someone direct me to a review site please! (adslguide
didn't seem to have any recent ones).

Regards
Chris Curtis

My own experience has shown the 3com officeconnect to be reliable, in fact
one of the only budget level sets of routers to be reliable. Then
netgears...

Whatever you do, do not buy a Belkin, they are dreadful, unreliable and
buggy.

Gaz

Old July 11th 06, 01:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Gaz:
Planning ahead ...

To be ready for all likely future use, you should consider ADSL2+, wifi
router with VoIP port(s).
There are very few to choose from, here are two to start with:
Draytek Vigor 2800VG, possibly the best available, and utterly reliable, but
~£180.
Zyxel 2602HW, very good, ~£155.
( I just happen to have New and Boxed one for sale, open to offers...)

108Mb/s would only be useful if you want to stream video between your own
computers.
Regards,
Martin at gsoft dot freeserve dot co dot uk

Old July 11th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doz

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:38:50 +0100, Chris Curtis wrote:

My Netgear 814 is displaying problems and I think it is time for a
replacement. (a borrowed router is working fine!)
Planning ahead I suppose I should go down the wireless route.

I need a minimum of 3 ports and since the main use will be for internet
sharing are the 108's any real advantage?
Alternatively can someone direct me to a review site please! (adslguide
didn't seem to have any recent ones).

Regards
Chris Curtis

Take look he www.ebuyer.com
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/store/8/cat/Wireless - plenty to choose from and they
have buyer reviews...

Myself, I use cable.. with a safecom cable wifi router - never failed me and
it's on 24/7 with WPA etc...

http://bravo.homeip.net/CustomGraph/panel.htm
Old July 11th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Martin?" wrote:
Gaz:
Planning ahead ...

To be ready for all likely future use, you should consider ADSL2+, wifi
router with VoIP port(s).
There are very few to choose from, here are two to start with:
Draytek Vigor 2800VG, possibly the best available, and utterly reliable, but
~?180.
Zyxel 2602HW, very good, ~?155.
( I just happen to have New and Boxed one for sale, open to offers...)

My experience with a Zyxel 2602HW was that the software isn't perfect
if you try and use all the 'extras'. In my case if I used the Media
Bandwidth Management I found that it needed rebooting every day or so,
if I turned off Media Bandwidth Management it was fine.

I now use a Speedtouch 716WL which doesn't have *quite* all the extras
of the Zyxel but is very reliable.

--
Chris Green

Old July 11th 06, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Curtis

"Martin²" wrote in message
Gaz:
Planning ahead ...

To be ready for all likely future use, you should consider ADSL2+, wifi
router with VoIP port(s).
There are very few to choose from, here are two to start with:
Draytek Vigor 2800VG, possibly the best available, and utterly reliable,
but ~£180.
Zyxel 2602HW, very good, ~£155.
( I just happen to have New and Boxed one for sale, open to offers...)

108Mb/s would only be useful if you want to stream video between your own
computers.
Regards,
Martin at gsoft dot freeserve dot co dot uk

Many thanks everyone.! Gives me something to think about.
I've had the 'pleasure' of setting up a Belkin for a friend; the range was
appalling!

Chris