AVG + Email on Orange Broadband

Old July 11th 06, 09:57 AM posted to alt.comp.anti-virus,uk.telecom.broadband

Default AVG + Email on Orange Broadband

Just changed my Orange broadband to using a 'Livebox' However, every
time I switch the computer on AVG tells me that 'Email scanning is not
fully functional'. I then have to configure in the AVG control centre
and it's OK. How can I set up my AVG so that I don't get that 'not
fully functional' message.

Not a major problem, just a bit irritating!

Me

Old July 11th 06, 10:52 AM posted to alt.comp.anti-virus,uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just changed my Orange broadband to using a 'Livebox' However, every
time I switch the computer on AVG tells me that 'Email scanning is not
fully functional'. I then have to configure in the AVG control centre
and it's OK. How can I set up my AVG so that I don't get that 'not
fully functional' message.

It's an AVG defect and needs fixing. If you google for it you'll find that
a lot of people have been having the problem for ages. I get it every
reboot and either just leave it alone and it'll go to the fully functioning
state after a few minutes or get the email scanning properties box and just
click OK.

Old July 11th 06, 11:03 AM posted to alt.comp.anti-virus,uk.telecom.broadband
Noel Paton

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just changed my Orange broadband to using a 'Livebox' However, every
time I switch the computer on AVG tells me that 'Email scanning is not
fully functional'. I then have to configure in the AVG control centre
and it's OK. How can I set up my AVG so that I don't get that 'not
fully functional' message.

Not a major problem, just a bit irritating!

Turn off email scanning (or preferably uninstall it) - it brings no real
benefits in any AV, and merely increases the risk of failed connections.

In AVG, you can turn off the 'not working' notification of any of the
module, by r-clicking on the module in the Control Center, and selecting
properties - then selecting the "Ignore faulty condition..." box and click
OK

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Old July 11th 06, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.anti-virus,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Not a major problem, just a bit irritating!

From experience (sorting out other peoples' infected machines) i`m not
impressed with AVG.

I use Avast myself (also free). Looks even better with the MacLoverOSX
skin :-)
Old July 12th 06, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.anti-virus,uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just changed my Orange broadband to using a 'Livebox' However, every
time I switch the computer on AVG tells me that 'Email scanning is not
fully functional'. I then have to configure in the AVG control centre
and it's OK. How can I set up my AVG so that I don't get that 'not
fully functional' message.

Not a major problem, just a bit irritating!

Happened to me as well. I uninstalled AVG and then re-installed it using
the latest download - problem gone. I saw someone said that they found
infection on a machine using AVG. Curiously, when I first switched to AVG
it found infection that Norton had missed.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old July 12th 06, 07:59 PM posted to alt.comp.anti-virus,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Happened to me as well. I uninstalled AVG and then re-installed it using
the latest download - problem gone. I saw someone said that they found
infection on a machine using AVG. Curiously, when I first switched to AVG
it found infection that Norton had missed.

That`s because Norton blows goats :-}

My first suggestion for anyone with a potentially infected machine -
particularly if they`ve got Norton or AVG installed is to run Sysclean
from Trend Micro

The files are linked from my site at http://www.coreutilities.co.uk
(second link from the top on the front page, then hit "sysclean")