Porting numbers to VoIP

Old July 11th 06, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news.rcn.com

Default Porting numbers to VoIP

Despite everyone's insistence to the contrary, I have just discovered that
my BT number which I wanted ported to VoipFone is actually held by Onetel
(and as it was mine, naturally isn't being used, but Onetel says is
available to me. Except that BT wont let them have it's use as BT says that
the exchange is not usable any more by me. So I have to use a porting
service to get it onto VoIP)

VoipFone insists that they haven't got a porting agreement with Onetel so
they say they cannot ASK for this number to be ported to them. This seems
somehow illogical but I was wondering if there was any other way of handling
this porting problem? Does anyone else have a porting agreement with onetel
or do they need one or must I somehow port it back to BT to port it to
VoipFone?

Or does anyone know if Onetel is starting some VoIP service in the near
future?

Old July 11th 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

news.rcn.com wrote:
Despite everyone's insistence to the contrary, I have just discovered that
my BT number which I wanted ported to VoipFone is actually held by Onetel
(and as it was mine, naturally isn't being used, but Onetel says is
available to me. Except that BT wont let them have it's use as BT says that
the exchange is not usable any more by me. So I have to use a porting
service to get it onto VoIP)

VoipFone insists that they haven't got a porting agreement with Onetel so
they say they cannot ASK for this number to be ported to them. This seems
somehow illogical but I was wondering if there was any other way of handling
this porting problem? Does anyone else have a porting agreement with onetel
or do they need one or must I somehow port it back to BT to port it to
VoipFone?

What is the number range? You can use this to confirm it is a Onetel number.

Voipfone can, at their option request a porting agreement with Onetel,
but if they are just getting all of their PSTN services from another
company, it will be that company which must have the porting agreement.
There may be commercial reasons why any provider might not want to
bother setting up a porting agreement with another.

You cannot port the number to BT and then from BT to another provider -
the port will always be from the range holder (Onetel) to the new provider.
Old July 11th 06, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news.rcn.com

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message
news.rcn.com wrote:
[...]

Everyone agrees that this is a Onetel number 'cos BT ported it to them
presumably a few years ago

Voipfone can, at their option request a porting agreement with Onetel,

They say this will take 6 months (if they could be bothered to do it)

but if they are just getting all of their PSTN services from another
company, it will be that company which must have the porting agreement.

They say none of 'their' companies have a porting agrement with onetel

There may be commercial reasons why any provider might not want to
bother setting up a porting agreement with another.

You cannot port the number to BT and then from BT to another provider -
the port will always be from the range holder (Onetel) to the new
provider.

I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.

Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

Old July 11th 06, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
er.

I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.

Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short
period?

I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the
line back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you
can spend in , you don't actually have to wait 3 months before
porting to your VSP.

Old July 11th 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

news.rcn.com wrote:
"Paul Cupis" wrote in message
Voipfone can, at their option request a porting agreement with Onetel,

They say this will take 6 months (if they could be bothered to do it)

Correct.

but if they are just getting all of their PSTN services from another
company, it will be that company which must have the porting agreement.

They say none of 'their' companies have a porting agrement with onetel

Okay, so you are basically out of luck unless you can:

* convince them or one of their suppliers to request and implement a
porting agreement with Onetel
* find a supplier who does have a porting agreement with Onetel (or who
will get one)

Good luck with that.

There may be commercial reasons why any provider might not want to
bother setting up a porting agreement with another.

You cannot port the number to BT and then from BT to another provider -
the port will always be from the range holder (Onetel) to the new
provider.

I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.

It's either a Onetel range or a BT range - it cannot be both. You've
just said it a Onetel range, so BT have nothing to do with it.

Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

What? I don't understand what you are saying, but I'm fairly confident
that the answer is no.
Old July 11th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Jono wrote:
news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
er.
I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.

Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short period?

I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the line
back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you can
spend in , you don't actually have to wait 3 months before porting to
your VSP.

If it is a BT number, he can port is to Voipfone or wherever directly
from BT - he should not have to jump though hoops getting a BT number etc.

However, he has stated that it is definitely a Onetel number.

Then again, he has not given us the number range so we can check for
ourselves, so...
Old July 11th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

on 11/07/2006, Paul Cupis supposed :
Jono wrote:
news.rcn.com wrote on 11/07/2006 :
er.
I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since 1959.

Can Otelo assist me in getting it back/ported/registered with VoipFone?

If it's a BT number, can't you just take it back to BT for a short period?

I suspect all you need to do is call BT up and get them to take the line
back. You will have a minimum term with BT of 3 months - which you can
spend in , you don't actually have to wait 3 months before porting to
your VSP.

If it is a BT number, he can port is to Voipfone or wherever directly
from BT - he should not have to jump though hoops getting a BT number etc.

However, he has stated that it is definitely a Onetel number.

Then again, he has not given us the number range so we can check for
ourselves, so...

Well, I doubt that it was originally a Onetel number as he says
"I assume the range was a BT range as it had been a BT number since
1959"......yes, I kow BT wasn't around in 1959 and the number would
have been two or more digits shorter........

Old July 11th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Jono wrote:
[...]

He also says:

"Everyone agrees that this is a Onetel number 'cos BT ported it to them
presumably a few years ago"

which doesn't even make sense.

To the OP - can you please give us all but the last 3-4 digits of the
telephone number in question?
Old July 11th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Paul Cupis has brought this to us :
Jono wrote:
[...]

He said in March "We need to retain the number we have had for fifty
years" - must be a BT number that hasn't /ported/ to Onetel, merely,
they're porviding him with Wholesale Line Rental.

What good would knowing the last 3-4 digits do......? do you mean 1st 3
or 4 plus STD?

It's a London number according to the earlier posts.

In October last year he said "We used OneTel. Someone has connected the
flat up to a new phone and BT tried to tell us that we can't retain the
number we have had for fifty years. (OneTel told me that I can but I
now can't seem to be able to contact them by phone from New York) When
I threatened to change service, BT re-transferred the number
immediately.
"

BT re-transferred the number where?

Come on news.rcn.com, give us some more info........isn't New York
awake yet?

Old July 11th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jono:
Jono wrote:
[...]

They didn't ask for the last 3-4 digits, they asked for all BUT the last
3-4 digits.