remote admin

Old July 11th 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bootneck

Default remote admin

Hi all

Q Please does anyone know of a remote desktop admin program or that can be
set to use dns, that does not use static ip addresses.

I run dns from my broadband router so therefore everytime a machine is
logged on a new ip address is given. I have tried setting the two pcs as
static ip addresses but they then lose the internet.

I used ramin remote admin until I changed to dns, but with 7 pcs on my LAN I
thought it was easier to go to dns.

any help would be most welcome

Bootneck ( all networking learned through books so the not that clued up)

sideways, Champagne in one hand -- strawberries in the other screaming WOO
HOO

Old July 12th 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Davies

bootneck wrote:
Q Please does anyone know of a remote desktop admin program or that can be
set to use dns, that does not use static ip addresses.

Do you mean Dynamic DNS services like those offered by dyndns.org and
no-ip.com?

Chris
Old July 12th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bootneck

HI Chris

No my BB router allows me to set a range of IP addresses for my networked
PC,s as a pc is logged on the DNS gives them an ip number from the range I
have pre set in to the router.

I do it this was for ease as I have pcs on the network which are in another
building, but on the same lan.

What I need to do is control the backoffice pc in my shops office, so I can
work on it from home, ramin remote admin allows me to do this, but now I
have gone to dynamic ip addressees it does not work.

Old July 12th 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
james

"bootneck" wrote in message
.. .
HI Chris

No my BB router allows me to set a range of IP addresses for my networked
PC,s as a pc is logged on the DNS gives them an ip number from the range
I have pre set in to the router.

You mean DHCP, not DNS, right?

I do it this was for ease as I have pcs on the network which are in
another building, but on the same lan.

What I need to do is control the backoffice pc in my shops office, so I
can work on it from home, ramin remote admin allows me to do this, but now
I have gone to dynamic ip addressees it does not work.

OK, so your PC's are all being issued with various internal IP addresses and
you need to connect to them via remote admin or similar. How did you have
it set up before - did you have the router "forwarding" the radmin port to
one of the machine IP addresses specifically? If you only need to Radmin
into one machine, you could look at setting up a DHCP reservation for it -
assuming your router allows it - or alternatively give that machine a static
address in the same subnet but outside the lease range... for instance:

Router = 192.168.0.1
radmin pc = 192.168.0.2
DHCP range on router = 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.50

It's reasons like this I tend to not use the DHCP built in to routers as it
is a bit limiting. Works fine for giving internet access to a bunch of
computers but once you have stuff coming in then you're stuffed (usually).

James.

Old July 12th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bootneck

Thanks James

Yep I did mean DHCP , bit hard of thinking today I think

So It either set static ip address and stop using DHCP or
I do run a server on a static ip address for backup and testing web pages ,
I could use that ,

Thanks for the answer , I think in the short term I might just reset ind ip
addresses

Thanks
Bootneck