Virgin ISP

Old July 11th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Default Virgin ISP

Anyone on Virgin? If so how have you found it? I'm thinking of leaving Pipex
for a new ISP and thought Virgin looked reasonable.

Old July 11th 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Geoff wrote:
Anyone on Virgin? If so how have you found it? I'm thinking of
leaving Pipex for a new ISP and thought Virgin looked reasonable.

May i suggest you look a little bit deeper & find whose network they
are reselling...

Old July 11th 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

In article , meaningless34
@hotmail.com says...

[...]

...and thought Virgin looked reasonable.

In what way?
Old July 12th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Reasonable in that:
- only one month's contract
- decent newsgroups
- better speed than Pipex are prepared to offer on my line
Unless someone has experience to the contrary? Or can suggest a better
alternative.

"Tx2" wrote in message
In article , meaningless34
@hotmail.com says...

[...]

Old July 12th 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter James

"Geoff" wrote in message
Reasonable in that:
- only one month's contract
- decent newsgroups
- better speed than Pipex are prepared to offer on my line
Unless someone has experience to the contrary? Or can suggest a better
alternative.

Virgin is NTL or NTL is Virgin, depending on which way you want to look at
it ;-) Having said that I have been with them for 2 months with no
problems, and my son has been with them for over two years, again with no
problems.

The one month contract does carry a penalty in that you will be expected to
cough up the connection charge if you cancel within 12 months.

--
Peter

Old July 12th 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"kráftéé" [email protected] you know what'sgoodforu.pus.com
wrote in message ...
Geoff wrote:
Anyone on Virgin? If so how have you found it? I'm thinking of
leaving Pipex for a new ISP and thought Virgin looked reasonable.

May i suggest you look a little bit deeper & find whose network they are
reselling...

Reselling ?

Virgin.net is wholly owned by NTL, and has been for nearly 2 years ;o)

Old July 12th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Al

Geoff wrote:

Anyone on Virgin? If so how have you found it? I'm thinking of leaving Pipex
for a new ISP and thought Virgin looked reasonable.

Fecking ace! They just gave me a free upgrade from 512 K to 1 Mb (Plan
3) and now I get my porn at twice the speed! Let me tell you, if you
like binary newsgroups, it doesn't get any better than this for £15.

Old July 15th 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Bergin

"Geoff" wrote
Anyone on Virgin? If so how have you found it? I'm thinking of leaving
Pipex for a new ISP and thought Virgin looked reasonable.

I've been with them since last October and generally they have been very
reliable and good value for money.

However, over the last few days the connection has been dropping quite
often. I sent a query and they replied;

"Thank you for your email. We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing
problems with your broadband connection.

When your up to 1 Mbps service is newly activated, you will experience a
period where your line speed and service reliability fluctuates for about 10
days. This is because we are testing your phone line to establish the
maximum speed your phone line can handle.

Please switch your modem or router off and on again a couple of times during
this 10 day period, to ensure that you are receiving the highest broadband
speed possible.

Once this 10 day period is over, your broadband line speed will be set to
the maximum speed your phone line can handle whilst still delivering a
reliable service.

If you haven't had up to 1 Mbps broadband speeds activated on your line in
the last 10 days, you may find the following could be causing your broadband
service to become unreliable:

Interference from electrical equipment:

Phone lines that pass near electrical equipment giving off a high level of
interference could be affected - this may have detrimental impact on your
broadband signal.

Devices that can affect the broadband signal are (and no, we're not winding
you up):

Christmas tree lights

Microwaves

Central heating boilers

Timed power switches

Generators

Environmental noise e.g. radio frequency interference:

If you live near an antenna, such as a mobile phone receiver mast or a radio
transmitter, this may have a detrimental effect on the broadband signal."

Not being a techno bod I'll leave it a few days to see if it improves.

BTW can a central heating boiler affect a broadband connection??

Sean

Old July 15th 06, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Sean Bergin wrote:

BTW can a central heating boiler affect a broadband connection??

A lot will depend on the electronics, so it's a maybe if you want a
truthful answer...

Old July 15th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheeky

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:31:43 +0100, "Geoff"
wrote:

Anyone on Virgin? If so how have you found it? I'm thinking of leaving Pipex
for a new ISP and thought Virgin looked reasonable.

Been with them two years and they have been fine for me. Currently
awaiting a free upgrade to 8mbps and all for the same price I started
on.