AVG FREE

Old July 12th 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default AVG FREE

Visiting a company today I notice that their AV protection on their desktops
was the free version of AVG. As good as AVG might be, is it sensible to use
it in a business enviroment?

David Bradley
Old July 12th 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

Surely they are infringing the licence.
Which is a pity because in the end AVG will stop supplying it free to
private individuals.

Retired

Old July 12th 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

David Bradley wrote in
:

Visiting a company today I notice that their AV protection on
their desktops was the free version of AVG. As good as AVG
might be, is it sensible to use it in a business enviroment?

David Bradley

Apart from the licence infringement, yes.
Old July 12th 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , David Bradley
writes
Visiting a company today I notice that their AV protection on their desktops
was the free version of AVG. As good as AVG might be, is it sensible to use
it in a business enviroment?

David Bradley

Not at all at least from the licensing point of view.
--
Clint Sharp
Old July 12th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Frazer Jolly
Goodfellow writes
David Bradley wrote in
:

Visiting a company today I notice that their AV protection on
their desktops was the free version of AVG. As good as AVG
might be, is it sensible to use it in a business enviroment?

David Bradley

Apart from the licence infringement, yes.

I've recently disinfected a few machines and AVG is just not catching
enough. Of the 9 suspicious files I found AVG triggered on just 1, best
were Dr Web and Kaspersky (8/9) followed by VBA32 (6/9), AntiVir (4/9),
BitDefender (3/9), ArcaVir, NOD32, Fortinet & VirusBuster (2/9), AVG &
Norman (1/9), Avast, ClamAV & UNA missed the lot. Files were submitted
via Jotti's Malware Scan http://virusscan.jotti.org/

And yet, it is a license infringement.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Old July 12th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I've recently disinfected a few machines and AVG is just not catching
enough. Of the 9 suspicious files I found AVG triggered on just 1, best
were Dr Web and Kaspersky (8/9) followed by VBA32 (6/9), AntiVir (4/9),
BitDefender (3/9), ArcaVir, NOD32, Fortinet & VirusBuster (2/9), AVG &
Norman (1/9), Avast, ClamAV & UNA missed the lot. Files were submitted
via Jotti's Malware Scan http://virusscan.jotti.org/

Interesting - have you tried throwing Sysclean at the infected files ?

If you still happen to have the infected file(s) I wouldn't mind a copy
to test for myself - is it possible the virus was a new variant that
hadn't been added in at that point in time ? (many will update
themselves regularly when they manage to take hold to try to avoid
detection)

Unmunge the following for a working email address:
[email protected] (if you could put "newsgroup" in the subject
line it'll help it bypass my filters too :-) )
Old July 12th 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Colin
Wilson writes
[...]

Sorry I haven't tried Trend. I was disinfecting a machine and was looking at
running processes and run settings in the registry before letting the tools
work and was surprised at a few being left behind on a multi-infected
machine. That made me submit the leftovers to Jotti with the interesting
results, top marks to them and the virus engines that have permitted their
tools to be used in that way.

I do have the culprits from the latest clean, most in evidence is zlob and
generic trojan downloaders, the last packaged with Virtumonde,
mytoolbar888 & somethingfraud adware/spyware but forgive me for
being a bit anal in not being prepared to distribute them. If it helps, m/c1
was infected through chat, m/c2 was through over zealous porn delving and
m/c3 through crack site downloads. If you're looking for sources of
malware then a trawl of cracks for popular programs would be a good
starting place but I'd do any experimenting on a well quarantined machine.
Old July 13th 06, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

but I'd do any experimenting on a well quarantined machine.

I know what you're saying, I practise safe hex :-)

I tend to know about the latest variants several days before they're
picked up by the AV vendors due to the level of spam I get - I also try
to give pointers to the uninitiated on locking down machines on my site
at http://www.coreutilities.co.uk (ignore the crap html :-))

AFAIK I was only "infected" once (a trace, not the actual virus though!)
and i've had at least one system online 24/7 since 1993, and two up 24/7
since about 1998 - and I never found out how it happened. Something had
managed to alter an .ini file on a Win98SE box - it was networked,
firewalled, and had password protected drives in read only mode. No-one
else had access to it, and no "unknown" software had been used on it.

I can't remember what alerted me to it, but the behaviour described by
the AV vendors when they added it to their signatures a week or so later
bore little resemblance to my knowledge of it.
Old July 13th 06, 03:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Depends on a number of factors which no one seems have picked up.

Firstly it is not licence infringment if the software is used for
business as there is a trial before buy period in most such software.
Another is that AVG does allow the free version of it's software to be
used beyond the period it just turns to crippleware ( dangerous in a
business environment you understand), another factor is that AVG as a
whole is crap. There are better AVs out there. I have used Fsecure for
years now and there is no antivirus that has came close to it in terms
of system resource use and set- and-forget abilities.

My advice? An antivirus is a must BUY piece of software. Use the trial
versions to find one that suits you and your budget.

Old July 13th 06, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

David Bradley wrote:
Visiting a company today I notice that their AV protection on their desktops
was the free version of AVG. As good as AVG might be, is it sensible to use
it in a business enviroment?

David Bradley

And yet I STILL come across PCs that have no AV present! Yes trial versions
are out there to try, but if you decide not to buy they can be extreemly
difficult to remove to load another AV product on your PC. In a relatively
short space of time the products have risen quite substantially in price and
for a small company having, say, six machines this can represent a significant
yearly outlay. Knowing which product to run with is not easy, since there are
no tests that you can subject the product to and thus determine its ability to
do what it says on the tin. What basis a local computer shop, or for that
matter a hardware supplier, uses to say that one product is better than
another is entirely unknown and probably more to do with profit margins.

OK in my company I use NIS2006 on all machines and I am not happy about the
way it seems to take over the PC and while appearing to be configured the same
on all machines there are frustrating differences that inhibit desired working
practices. Switching products seems a good idea but will it be out of the
frying pan into the fire?

David Bradley