MaxDSL - How fast should I get - 1.46km from exchange ??

Old July 13th 06, 01:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.amstereoradio.info

Default MaxDSL - How fast should I get - 1.46km from exchange ??

Surprise surprise my connecion has gone up on day 10 to...3.91Mbit. But
should'nt I get more than this ? What about you if you are the same distance
as me or nearer even what speed are you getting ?

Old July 13th 06, 03:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

"www.amstereoradio.info" wrote in message
Surprise surprise my connecion has gone up on day 10 to...3.91Mbit. But
should'nt I get more than this ? What about you if you are the same
distance as me or nearer even what speed are you getting ?

I'm 1.56Km from the exchange and sync at the full rate of 8.128Mb/s. Note
the distance quoted is as the crow flies which is more tha likely the
distance you attained. The length of the cable can be much longer as they
normally follow roads.

To get a better indication of line length/quality post your line stats your
modem/router is reporting.

Dan

Old July 13th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Dan" wrote in message
news

"www.amstereoradio.info" wrote in message
Surprise surprise my connecion has gone up on day 10 to...3.91Mbit. But
should'nt I get more than this ? What about you if you are the same
distance as me or nearer even what speed are you getting ?

I'm 1.56Km from the exchange and sync at the full rate of 8.128Mb/s. Note
the distance quoted is as the crow flies which is more tha likely the
distance you attained. The length of the cable can be much longer as they
normally follow roads.

To get a better indication of line length/quality post your line stats
your modem/router is reporting.

Yes it is as the crow files, connection has now gone dowen to 379kb ??? The
line is still in training mode I'm told

Do you mean these stats :-

Operation Data
Upstream
Downstream

Noise Margin
18 dB
25 dB

Output Power
12 dBm
20 dBm

Attenuation
21 dB
36 dB

Old July 13th 06, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

www.amstereoradio.info wrote:
Surprise surprise my connecion has gone up on day 10 to...3.91Mbit. But
should'nt I get more than this ? What about you if you are the same distance
as me or nearer even what speed are you getting ?

Length of cable run is only part of the equation. Line quality, proximity to
other lines with ADSL, proximity to sources of interference, weather, type of
cabling, number of joins in the cable, sunspot activity, humidity, temperature,
time of day, and the number of birds sat on the overhead line all contribute to
overall line quality.

My recently enabled max line pegged itself at 8128k flawlessly for several days,
then just before the 'training' period ended, a dirty great thunderstorm
knackered by line rate down to 6800k, from which it is yet to recover.

I'm about the same distance away from the my exchange as you you, possibly
slightly less in terms of straight line distance, but BT cabling engineers do
not believe in straight lines, so allowing for bends, kinks, and downright
insane amounts of looped wiring, it's probably about right.
Old July 14th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"www.amstereoradio.info" wrote in message
Surprise surprise my connecion has gone up on day 10 to...3.91Mbit. But
should'nt I get more than this ? What about you if you are the same
distance as me or nearer even what speed are you getting ?

Is your modem plugged directly to your master socket, or have you got any
form of extension between the two??

my connection gained an extra 1mb when connected directly to the master
socket (directly to the test socket), and the margin stabilised...

Just because your current connection functioned on 2mb or lower, dont assume
the same with maxdsl... as I found to my surprise!!!

Stuart

Old July 15th 06, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.amstereoradio.info

"Stu C" wrote in message

"www.amstereoradio.info" wrote in message
Surprise surprise my connecion has gone up on day 10 to...3.91Mbit. But
should'nt I get more than this ? What about you if you are the same
distance as me or nearer even what speed are you getting ?

Is your modem plugged directly to your master socket, or have you got any
form of extension between the two??

my connection gained an extra 1mb when connected directly to the master
socket (directly to the test socket), and the margin stabilised...

Just because your current connection functioned on 2mb or lower, dont
assume the same with maxdsl... as I found to my surprise!!!

My connection has just finished this daft training mode..I'm now stuck on a
1.41Mb connection BUT on my routers stats screen it sas 6688 Mbit so don't
get this. DSL zone etc says I should get al least 3.5Mbit, guess I have to
wait yet more days for speed to go up....

Old July 16th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.amstereoradio.info

No one wanting to reveal their connections then, come on don't be shy !

Old July 16th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

www.amstereoradio.info wrote:
No one wanting to reveal their connections then, come on don't be
shy

Your question is meaningless as to many variables, both internally &
externally, will affect the speed you get.

!