ADSL activation time

Old July 13th 06, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
StarEye

Default ADSL activation time

Hello,

last week, in a moment of insanity, I decided to apply for a virgin.net
adsl connection . Four days later they gave me the actvation date and
sent me the connection kit.

On the day of the activation date I received the following email
message:
_______________________

Dear Customer

Thank you for registering with Virgin.net Broadband.

Unfortunately, there's going to be a slight delay in delivering your
broadband service as BT have system problems with your order. No
resolve date given

_______________________

After several phone calls to the virgin.net customer service line I
discovered that it will take at least 10 days for BT to start working
on the "system problem" related to my ADSL line.
The problem here is that I need a broadband connection rather quickly
in order to be able to work from home.

Do you have any piece of advice? Do you know a broadband operator that
has a proven track record of quick activation times?

Cheers
Luke

Old July 13th 06, 06:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

"StarEye" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What you need is an ISP that can get BT to pull their finger out.
That's called a miracle.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old July 13th 06, 07:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:20:25 UTC, "StarEye"
wrote:

Unfortunately, there's going to be a slight delay in delivering your
broadband service as BT have system problems with your order. No
resolve date given

Do you have any piece of advice? Do you know a broadband operator that
has a proven track record of quick activation times?

That usually means that the exchange has capacity problems. In other
words, BT need to installl extra equipment before any more ADSL can be
installed.

If that's the case, it won't make a blind bit of difference which ISP
you use.

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old July 13th 06, 08:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

"StarEye" wrote in message
[...]

It may be unfashionable but you are far more likely to get a quick broadband
connection from BT themselves - by this I don't necessarily mean a fast
speed, but a faster activation.

Old July 13th 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
StarEye

Christopher wrote:
"StarEye" wrote in message
[...]

What about these new Wimax operators like Now broadband? They make
short contracts. Do you think it would be a good option during the wait
for a proper ADSL connection?

Old July 13th 06, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Do your homworl before signing up to an ISP. Basically you are just going to
have to wait. All ISPs using BT lines are dependant on BT to do the work and
the chances of hurrying them up are negligible. Trying to change to another
ISP at this stage is likely to make the process even longer because Virgin
will have to agree to release the line to the other ISP.

Peter Crosland

Old July 13th 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"StarEye" wrote in message
[...]

If there is a problem supplying you broadband from virgin.net, its likely
that the same problem would exist when ordering with another third party
ISP. You are just going to have to wait IMO. I can't imagine that you are
that desperate for a broadband connection....... Use a dial-up for a few
days..... When I work away I do all serve all my work IT needs on a Pocket
PC/Laptop with GPRS. My home location was one of the last areas around here
to have ADSL. I had to wait 18 months or more for ADSL, after all the
neighbouring properties were already being supplied ADSL. Im sure a few
days is no big deal is it?

Old July 13th 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

StarEye wrote:
Christopher wrote:
"StarEye" wrote in message
[...]

How is it going to get delivered to your house....If it's copper then
it depends on BT....

The only way which may get you on line faster will be to go the LLU
route (wash my mouth out), the only problem is that most, is not all
the LLU ISP's have got extremely bad reputations & you will most
probably have to port your telephone number over as well... This of
course will depend on what is causing the hold up with BT if it's
ionternal network congestion then yes you may be able to bypass by
using LLU, BUT if it's a DACS then even going with a LLU operator
won't get you anywhere faster.

Old July 16th 06, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 13 Jul 2006, "Tony" wrote:

If there is a problem supplying you broadband from virgin.net, its likely
that the same problem would exist when ordering with another third party
ISP. You are just going to have to wait IMO.

Weren't people being "put off" when trying to get a connection on Tesco.Net
some time back, being told there was a delay (sometimes a long delay)...

Since both Virgin.Net and Tesco.Net go back to NTL, if they're still using
Datastream then there's a chance that it's a capacity problem for NTL and
might not affect all other ISPs. Without knowing the OP's exchange it's
a bit 'hit and miss' as to what the problem might be... Peter M.
Old July 16th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
StarEye

poster wrote:
On 13 Jul 2006, "Tony" wrote:

If there is a problem supplying you broadband from virgin.net, its likely
that the same problem would exist when ordering with another third party
ISP. You are just going to have to wait IMO.

Weren't people being "put off" when trying to get a connection on Tesco.Net
some time back, being told there was a delay (sometimes a long delay)...

Since both Virgin.Net and Tesco.Net go back to NTL, if they're still using
Datastream then there's a chance that it's a capacity problem for NTL and
might not affect all other ISPs. Without knowing the OP's exchange it's
a bit 'hit and miss' as to what the problem might be... Peter M.

In the mean time (waiting for virgin.net) I subscribed to Now
Broadband. Now Broadband is delivering internet wirelessly through the
3G network (I was wrong when I was mentioning WiMax) and so it's
completely independent from my ADSL activation
They deliver a 1Mbit/s connection for 18/month. This will keep me
going for a while, waiting for a proper 8Mbit/s ADSL connection.

The service will be activated tomorrow morning... let's see