How to find out if you can get ADSL

Old July 13th 06, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Carlyle-Clarke

Default How to find out if you can get ADSL

Where I live, I get a 512Kb service due to my distance from the
exchange. My parents are even further away than me from the same
exchange, and they are now muttering about getting broadband. I'd like
to know if they will be able to get it or not.

Now, one way I suppose is to go ahead and order it and see what happens
-- that's probably the accepted wisdom?

However, their neighbours did exactly that and 6 months later have no
working ADSL. They started with AOL who were worse than useless, and
then switched to Plusnet, who were were willing, but AFAIK it still
does not work.

Simililary in a school up the road where I do some IT work, BT managed
to install and activate ADSL on an ISDN2e line with no master socket
fitted. Clever eh?

So I have no confidence in the standard activation procedure to
correctly survey the line's capabilities.

Is there any way to get a good survey?
Old July 13th 06, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

"John Carlyle-Clarke" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Suggest that your parents try to place an order with BT - they will at least
tell them quickly if a connection is not possible. There is no reason why,
although further away from the exchange, your parents would not have a
better line than yourself.

Old July 13th 06, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

What do you mean by a "good survey"? Assuming you are talking about a BT
line then you really are in the hands of BT.

Why not start here?

http://www.btwholesale.com/get_broadband/index.html

Take a look and report back fwith the results for further advice

Peter Crosland

Old July 13th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

Suggest that your parents try to place an order with BT - they will at least
tell them quickly if a connection is not possible. There is no reason why,
although further away from the exchange, your parents would not have a
better line than yourself.

That does not make any sense. I can think of lots of reasons why their
line might be worse than his.

DAve

Old July 13th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
[...]

Since you already have ADSL on your line it would be useful to know
some of the line statistics from it particularly Downstream
Attenuation and Downstream SNR. It may turn out that your line will
support much higher than 512 (despite what any checkers say) and from
that you will get an idea of how your parents line might perform.

If you are going with the lets order it and see then I suggest using
someone who has a support line which is able to deal with problematic
installations - from my experience that rules out BT, Plusnet, AOL,
Tiscali but I would recommend Zen.

JP
Old July 13th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tym

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:08:49 +0100, John P wrote:

Since you already have ADSL on your line it would be useful to know
some of the line statistics from it particularly Downstream
Attenuation and Downstream SNR. It may turn out that your line will
support much higher than 512 (despite what any checkers say) and from
that you will get an idea of how your parents line might perform.

Are there any software packages that can provied this info? My old
router had it built in - but the new Netgear one doesn't and I want to
know!!!

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~
Old July 13th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:58:42 UTC, gort wrote:

Suggest that your parents try to place an order with BT - they will at least
tell them quickly if a connection is not possible. There is no reason why,
although further away from the exchange, your parents would not have a
better line than yourself.

That does not make any sense. I can think of lots of reasons why their
line might be worse than his.

I can think of reasons why it might be better. So?

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old July 13th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

Tym wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:08:49 +0100, John P wrote:

Since you already have ADSL on your line it would be useful to know
some of the line statistics from it particularly Downstream
Attenuation and Downstream SNR. It may turn out that your line will
support much higher than 512 (despite what any checkers say) and from
that you will get an idea of how your parents line might perform.

Are there any software packages that can provied this info? My old
router had it built in - but the new Netgear one doesn't and I want to
know!!!

Waht model of Netgear do you have ? Most have these figures under
Router Status then Show Statistics
Old July 13th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:52:39 +0100, Tym wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:08:49 +0100, John P wrote:

Since you already have ADSL on your line it would be useful to know
some of the line statistics from it particularly Downstream
Attenuation and Downstream SNR. It may turn out that your line will
support much higher than 512 (despite what any checkers say) and from
that you will get an idea of how your parents line might perform.

Are there any software packages that can provied this info? My old
router had it built in - but the new Netgear one doesn't and I want to
know!!!

That surprises me. I thought all netgear routers had it built in.

Which model is yours?
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Space is an illusion, disk space doubly so.
Old July 14th 06, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Carlyle-Clarke

John P wrote in
:

Since you already have ADSL on your line it would be useful to
know some of the line statistics from it particularly Downstream
Attenuation and Downstream SNR. It may turn out that your line
will support much higher than 512 (despite what any checkers say)
and from that you will get an idea of how your parents line might
perform.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 56 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 24 db

As far as I know, that is not good enough for 1 meg.

When we were all on dialup, I used to achieve between 36 and 40 kbps
approx. They never connect above 28.8. Not conclusive, but indicates
likelihood of a worse line to me. They also regularly have problems
with trees causing damage to cables along the way, which suggests a few
inline repairs by now maybe?

You seem to highly rate Zen... interesting, as I'd like to move on from
Plusnet myself.