BT problems, web traffic

Old July 13th 06, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dobson

Default BT problems, web traffic

Anyone else having problems with traffic over port 80 this morning with
BT? Have a customer who can't connect out over the web, but everything
else is working.

I can remote into their DC, ping/tracert addresses fine. DNS works;
names are resolving to IP's.. Connecting to web servers on non-standard
ports (e.g. 8080) works.. Connecting to other services (POP3, IMAP) works..

...but anything over port 80 does not. I've tried connecting to a POP3
server on a remote host running on ports 80 and 110.. The 80 connection
fails while the 110 goes through.

Anyone else suffering from this?

BT demand I visit the site to carry out tests, Remote Desktop via VPN
isn't good enough for them it seems.
Old July 13th 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Gouge

Simon Dobson wrote:
Anyone else having problems with traffic over port 80 this morning with
BT? Have a customer who can't connect out over the web, but everything
else is working.

I can remote into their DC, ping/tracert addresses fine. DNS works;
names are resolving to IP's.. Connecting to web servers on non-standard
ports (e.g. 8080) works.. Connecting to other services (POP3, IMAP) works..

..but anything over port 80 does not. I've tried connecting to a POP3
server on a remote host running on ports 80 and 110.. The 80 connection
fails while the 110 goes through.

Anyone else suffering from this?

BT demand I visit the site to carry out tests, Remote Desktop via VPN
isn't good enough for them it seems.

Hi Simon,

Having exactly the same problem here at the moment. Everything else
(RDP, USenet, ftp, pcanywhere, skype etc) is working fine, just Web
Access. What is very strange though is that one of the pcs plugged into
our bt business router is working fine and the other (using ISA Server
for the lan) is not. Haven't had chance to swap things over yet to
investigate.
Old July 13th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Gouge

David Gouge wrote:
Simon Dobson wrote:
[...]

Update: We have a block of 5 ips. Our first IP has the problem with
the web access not working. The other 4 are working fine! Called BT
and the helpdesk chappy said that he's had 4 similar calls today and
that the engineers are working on the problem.

So now we play the waiting game.
Old July 13th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Update: We have a block of 5 ips. Our first IP has the problem with
the web access not working. The other 4 are working fine! Called BT and
the helpdesk chappy said that he's had 4 similar calls today and that the
engineers are working on the problem.

So now we play the waiting game.

Why don't you just change IP and see if you can find a working one?

Just change the part of your login name in front of the @ sign and it should
change it.

Or disconnect for a while and see if it picks up another IP on reconnection.
I used to do that when I was with BT to get a better speed. Not all servers
are made equal.

Old July 13th 06, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

It's Me wrote:

Just change the part of your login name in front of the @ sign and it should
change it.

No, that'll just mean that he doesn't authenticate and will then have
no connection...

Old July 14th 06, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

It's Me wrote:

Just change the part of your login name in front of the @ sign and it
should
change it.

No, that'll just mean that he doesn't authenticate and will then have
no connection...

Actually, "It's Me" is correct. See my shortcuts option 0d/a and 0d/b

--
Andy
----

Thanks for the support Andy, I know it works I used to change mine every day
when I was with BT, its the only thing I miss now that I am with Zen and a
fixed IP.

Old July 14th 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Andy wrote:

Actually, "It's Me" is correct. See my shortcuts option 0d/a and 0d/b

Sorry, I am correct. With 5 static IP addresses we are talking about a
business customer - username is going to be ,
you cannot randomly choose which hg you use and you definately aren't
going to be able to authenticate successfully choosing random network
IDs. Your site info in this regard is only applicable to residential
customers.

Regards

WIllie MacLeod