BBC: Net phone services falling short

Old July 13th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default BBC: Net phone services falling short

http://tinyurl.com/m5ru5
I didn't think much of this report. They lumped in Sipgate with a lot
of computer based, Skype, type providers.
They claimed that it wasn't possible to go beyond 'on net' without
paying, which, in the case of Sipgate, is absolutely untrue. Just
adds more fuel to the confusion, already there, for the non-technos.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 13th 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

wrote in message

I presume that the para that you are unhappy about is
Quote - All the services tested offer free calls between the users of
that particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour, going beyond this
immediate community meant paying for calls. - end Quote

As the only FOC calls from Sipgate are Sip I do not see that as
unfair or inaccurate.

It's definitely inacurate.

Old July 13th 06, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Messiah

"Jono" wrote in message
.uk...

It's definitely inacurate.

"All the services tested offer free calls between the users of that
particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour, going beyond this immediate
community meant paying for calls."

Well with Sipgate I can loads of Sip providers for free, not just Sipgate
customers...

Old July 13th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"The Messiah" wrote in message

"Jono" wrote in message
.uk...

It's definitely inacurate.

"All the services tested offer free calls between the users of that
particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour, going beyond this immediate
community meant paying for calls."

Well with Sipgate I can call loads of Sip providers for free, not just
Sipgate customers...

Exactly.

Old July 13th 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message
.uk
"The Messiah" wrote in message

"Jono" wrote in
message
.uk...

It's definitely inacurate.

"All the services tested offer free calls between the
users of that particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour,
going beyond this immediate community meant paying for
calls." Well with Sipgate I can call loads of Sip providers for
free, not just Sipgate customers...

Exactly.

I feel a complaint coming on..! Anyone see a link to reply to the authors
of that so-called "report" as I couldn't see one.

Ivor

Old July 13th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:48:06 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Jono" wrote in message
o.uk
"The Messiah" wrote in message

"Jono" wrote in
message
.uk...

It's definitely inacurate.

"All the services tested offer free calls between the
users of that particular service. But, said Ms Gilmour,
going beyond this immediate community meant paying for
calls." Well with Sipgate I can call loads of Sip providers for
free, not just Sipgate customers...

Exactly.

I feel a complaint coming on..! Anyone see a link to reply to the authors
of that so-called "report" as I couldn't see one.

Ivor

I sent a message via 'contact us' on the bottom of the page.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 14th 06, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-07-13, Brian A wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/m5ru5
I didn't think much of this report. They lumped in Sipgate with a lot
of computer based, Skype, type providers.
They claimed that it wasn't possible to go beyond 'on net' without
paying, which, in the case of Sipgate, is absolutely untrue. Just
adds more fuel to the confusion, already there, for the non-technos.

What appears to be the original article is on www.which.co.uk. Under
Reports and Campaigns there is Audio Visual, which leads to VOIP in the
Phones section. It's obviously much more detailed than the BBC news
item so there is more there to form a balanced opinion.

Brian.