A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

BT line rerouted?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 13th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iwan Davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default BT line rerouted?

Until recently, my 1Mbps connection was relatively stable - on the margins,
but I could cope with rebooting the modem every now and then. I know I'm on
the limits for the service, and previously 512Kbps was more stable.

Anyway, as of about three days ago, my SNR figures have changed
dramatically dropping from a fairly consistent 10-11dB to between 3-4dB. At
the same time, Fujitsu has been out and about doing work on behalf of BT
putting in lines for a small new complex of houses and flats just down the
road. Is it likely that this work has seen my line unclipped from its
previous route (which the DSL engineer deliberately chose to get me the
best possible connection 12 months ago) and put on a less favourable route
for me. The line is now dropping frequently (100 drops in 7 hours... since
I last rebooted the modem), and nothing has changed internally to affect
this.

If the work that has been done has adversely affected my service, do I have
any rights in respect of it being put back to how it was (assuming
something has changed)? How do I even go about finding out if something has
changed?

Cheers

Iwan
  #2  
Old July 13th 06, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default BT line rerouted?

Iwan Davies wrote:
Until recently, my 1Mbps connection was relatively stable - on the
margins, but I could cope with rebooting the modem every now and
then. I know I'm on the limits for the service, and previously
512Kbps was more stable.

Anyway, as of about three days ago, my SNR figures have changed
dramatically dropping from a fairly consistent 10-11dB to between
3-4dB. At the same time, Fujitsu has been out and about doing work
on
behalf of BT putting in lines for a small new complex of houses and
flats just down the road. Is it likely that this work has seen my
line unclipped from its previous route (which the DSL engineer
deliberately chose to get me the best possible connection 12 months
ago) and put on a less favourable route for me. The line is now
dropping frequently (100 drops in 7 hours... since I last rebooted
the modem), and nothing has changed internally to affect this.

If the work that has been done has adversely affected my service, do
I have any rights in respect of it being put back to how it was
(assuming something has changed)? How do I even go about finding out
if something has changed?


The only way will be to raise a fault with your ISP & let them
progress it to BT.

It could be that the work they are doing has physically disturbed
your witing in some way & that it may settle down once they have
finished.

What ever the cause the only way is to raise a fault with your ISP
about your random drop outs & let them run with it..


  #3  
Old July 13th 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iwan Davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default BT line rerouted?

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:40:18 +0100, kráftéé wrote:

Iwan Davies wrote:
Until recently, my 1Mbps connection was relatively stable - on the
margins, but I could cope with rebooting the modem every now and
then. I know I'm on the limits for the service, and previously
512Kbps was more stable.

Anyway, as of about three days ago, my SNR figures have changed
dramatically dropping from a fairly consistent 10-11dB to between
3-4dB.


What ever the cause the only way is to raise a fault with your ISP
about your random drop outs & let them run with it..


Feared as much. Unfortunately, I'm with Bulldog... Can't see them wanting
to run very far with it at all...

Iwan
  #4  
Old July 14th 06, 06:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default BT line rerouted?


"Iwan Davies" wrote in message
...
Until recently, my 1Mbps connection was relatively stable - on the

margins,
but I could cope with rebooting the modem every now and then. I know

I'm on
the limits for the service, and previously 512Kbps was more stable.

Anyway, as of about three days ago, my SNR figures have changed
dramatically dropping from a fairly consistent 10-11dB to between

3-4dB. At
the same time, Fujitsu has been out and about doing work on behalf

of BT
putting in lines for a small new complex of houses and flats just

down the
road. Is it likely that this work has seen my line unclipped from

its
previous route (which the DSL engineer deliberately chose to get me

the
best possible connection 12 months ago) and put on a less favourable

route
for me. The line is now dropping frequently (100 drops in 7 hours...

since
I last rebooted the modem), and nothing has changed internally to

affect
this.

If the work that has been done has adversely affected my service, do

I have
any rights in respect of it being put back to how it was (assuming
something has changed)? How do I even go about finding out if

something has
changed?

Cheers

Iwan

=====================================

Contention, Contention, Contention!

If you're favoured, all the engineers can do is provide a temporary
alleviation just for you.

As broadband traffic builds up, things can only get even worse.

Buy youselves books of 2nd-class sticky stamps before the price goes
up again.
========================================


  #5  
Old July 15th 06, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,542
Default BT line rerouted?

On 14 Jul 2006, "Reg Edwards" wrote:

"Iwan Davies" wrote in message


Anyway, as of about three days ago, my SNR figures have changed
dramatically dropping from a fairly consistent 10-11dB to between

3-4dB. At


Contention, Contention, Contention!


As broadband traffic builds up, things can only get even worse.



Come on Reg - the visible effect of contention is some lowering in speed
(try checking the network traffic graph on Windows XP's Task Manager) so
this seems a spurious response when the guy has noted a change in SNR on
his connection back to the exchange. In any case, Bulldog is not one of
the BT Wholesale supplied ISPs, so while there's a chance of contention,
it seems especially unlikely (check the 'news' about Bulldog in the last
two months and you will see they stopped phone orders and laid off staff
so the odds of contention from extra customers at an exchange are poor).
  #6  
Old July 15th 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Hill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default BT line rerouted?


"poster" wrote in message
...
On 14 Jul 2006, "Reg Edwards" wrote:

"Iwan Davies" wrote in message


Anyway, as of about three days ago, my SNR figures have changed
dramatically dropping from a fairly consistent 10-11dB to between

3-4dB. At


Contention, Contention, Contention!


As broadband traffic builds up, things can only get even worse.



Come on Reg - the visible effect of contention is some lowering in speed
(try checking the network traffic graph on Windows XP's Task Manager) so
this seems a spurious response when the guy has noted a change in SNR on
his connection back to the exchange. In any case, Bulldog is not one of
the BT Wholesale supplied ISPs, so while there's a chance of contention,
it seems especially unlikely (check the 'news' about Bulldog in the last
two months and you will see they stopped phone orders and laid off staff
so the odds of contention from extra customers at an exchange are poor).


Its the same sort of guessing that always comes out in his posts. Im
suprised he doesn't just blame the female Prime Minister we once had... What
was her name?? Err ? Maggie! Thats it !





  #7  
Old July 15th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default BT line rerouted?

I must admit I don't understand the details of how the Internet works.
But I do understand the fundamentals of communications systems. They
don't change over the years.

Reduction in "speed" seems to be the most prevalent complaint.
Undoubtedly, this is due to Contention. ( That is a good word to
describe what is ocurring. )

But when the functions of servers themseves become overloaded a great
variety of apparently unrelated problems appear. People have no idea
whether a suddenly appearing problem lies in their own equipment or
whether it lies somewhere in the vast realms of the system. Most
likely it is in due to Contention in the system.

The best thing to do is wait to see if the problem cures itself. I
have long got past the stage of reformatting the hard drive as used to
be recommended by the so-called help desks.

But help desks are hardly much better than they used to be. Not
knowing any more about the system than their customers they still
automatically refer to a stock list of recommendations.

I have Windows 98, OE6 and IE. If it works I do not attempt to fix
it.
----
Reg.


  #8  
Old July 15th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default BT line rerouted?

I have Windows 98, OE6 and IE. If it works I do not attempt to fix
it.
----
Reg.

=========================================

And nearly always, if a problem occurs, within a few hours or so the
system partially restores itself. It's all due to millions of
customers contending among themselves. Not forgetting contention
between Internet providers. Survival of the fittest indeed!

Tarzan and the Law of the Jungle prevails.

Incidentally, it was Maggie Thatcher and her ilk which brought about
the end of the good old reliable GPO Engineering Dept. It did not
generate any immediate financial profits for the sharks in the Square
Mile of the City, so it had to go along with the best of the country's
communications Engineers.

So now look at the chaotic mess you nincompoops voted for and stop
complaining about disappointments in the misnomer of usable bandwidth.

Most of you don't have the foggiest idea what Bandwidth means.

Just continue paying your Direct Debits and phone bills to keep your
service poviders rich and happy.
----
Reg,


  #9  
Old July 15th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,472
Default BT line rerouted?

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 05:03:27 UTC, "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Anyway, as of about three days ago, my SNR figures have changed
dramatically dropping from a fairly consistent 10-11dB to between

3-4dB. At


Contention, Contention, Contention!


Please explain how contention can affect SNR.
--
Bob Eager
FBCS, CEng, CITP, MIET


  #10  
Old July 15th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default BT line rerouted?

Please explain how contention can affect SNR.
--
Bob Eager

======================================

Cross talk between pairs in the cable between your house and the
exchange is a source of interference and noise. It tends to increase
with cable length as does attenuation.

You are contending with other users of the cable. If there is nobody
else using the cable you don't get any crosstalk. You cause just as
much interference to other users as they do to you.

Similar sources of noise and crosstalk exist in the exchange and its
equipment.

Most problems can be traced back to contention with other users. What
a nice reliable, trouble-free life you would have if only you and a
recipient were using the system.
----
Reg.


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PAP2 Line 1 calling line 2 ? Bleh uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 15 April 29th 06 09:19 AM
dacs removed - not much improvement in dialup speed - line gain/line card banzai uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 11 May 19th 04 05:24 PM
Line distance or line quality Beck uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 February 2nd 04 04:44 PM
Can turning up line signal cause poor line attenuation? Simon Fearby uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 August 31st 03 05:24 PM
Line Noise on BT phone line, Will ADSL work? -Captain-Pugwash- uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 18 July 21st 03 06:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.