trying to get info on broadband availability- central Manchester

Old July 14th 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default trying to get info on broadband availability- central Manchester

I'm planning moving into a new flat in central Manchester, but can't
find out from the websites (or from BT who I'm currently with) of the
availability of adsl. I'd guess that it would be unlikely not to have
adsl though- is that a safe bet? The address is city south, city road
east, if anyone knows the area.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old July 14th 06, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Sam Nelson wrote:

In article 1higym0.15xbl2u283p76N%[email protected] ahoo.com,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the
duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy) writes:
I'm planning moving into a new flat in central Manchester, but can't
find out from the websites (or from BT who I'm currently with) of the
availability of adsl. I'd guess that it would be unlikely not to have
adsl though- is that a safe bet? The address is city south, city road
east, if anyone knows the area.

Go to
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php and drop M15 4QE in the
postcode box. And no, the Sam that knows isn't me. Unfortunately.

Thanks for that. Works for M15 4QA too, which is the exact postcode in
question. How come this website has that info, but BT doesn't?

Old July 14th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy" wrote in
message news:1higym0.15xbl2u283p76N%this_address_is_for_sp ...
I'm planning moving into a new flat in central Manchester, but can't
find out from the websites (or from BT who I'm currently with) of the
availability of adsl. I'd guess that it would be unlikely not to have
adsl though- is that a safe bet? The address is city south, city road
east, if anyone knows the area.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org

It is almost inconceivable that you won't have access to ADSL in this
location. Friends of mine in the area have BB.

Other telco's with direct service in central Manchester: -

Thus (was Your Communications (was Norweb Communications))

NTL

Cable and Wireless

The last two reorganised their operations, so I don't think you can get C&W
broadband easily. Even their Bulldog offerings to the public were pulled
last month as public were once bitten twice shy.

Old July 14th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy" wrote in
message news:1hih2jq.1fgk8ai9k9qvjN%this_address_is_for_sp ...
Sam Nelson wrote:

[...]

not even the page

http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_availability_result.jsp

where in the bottom right corner it has a 'See How fast you can go' where
you put in your telephone number or postcode?????????

Stuart

Old July 15th 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 14 Jul 2006, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

Even their Bulldog offerings to the public were pulled last month

Really ? I felt sure that Bulldog stopped taking orders by phone, and
if you toddle along to the website you can still switch a line to their
service. Not everyone is unhappy with them, despite the vociferous few,
whose comments appear here (along with negative views on several others)
at intervals, on the "are you mad?" or "use anyone but..." line. Peter.
Old July 16th 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"poster" wrote in message
On 14 Jul 2006, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

Even their Bulldog offerings to the public were pulled last month

By which I mean they stopped actively selling it (or offering it to the
public). You can still offer to buy service from them.

Really ? I felt sure that Bulldog stopped taking orders by phone, and
if you toddle along to the website you can still switch a line to their
service. Not everyone is unhappy with them, despite the vociferous few,
whose comments appear here (along with negative views on several others)
at intervals, on the "are you mad?" or "use anyone but..." line. Peter.

I have mostly referred to others' post. OTOH I did have problems with C&W
(Bulldog's parent) before dropping them several years ago.