voip.co.uk Any Good?

Old July 15th 06, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

Default voip.co.uk Any Good?

I was looking at voip.co.uk's website and like the look of their optional UK
pack, seems very good value. I was just wondering if anyone had any
experience of them? Are they reliable, what is the call quality like? Also I
have searched their website and can't find the technical details I would
need to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when I
sign up to them?
Thanks in advance.

Old July 15th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Phil laid this down on his screen :
I was looking at voip.co.uk's website and like the look of their optional UK
pack, seems very good value. I was just wondering if anyone had any
experience of them? Are they reliable, what is the call quality like? Also I
have searched their website and can't find the technical details I would need
to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when I sign
up to them?
Thanks in advance.

Very good call quality.

Never had a dropped call.

Good value packages.

I've had two billing issues in two months. Both resulted in an
overcahrge. My account was credited very quickly to compensate for the
overcharges...........the second issue seems to be still causing an
overcharge, though, even after the credit & confirmation that it's been
fixed. I am confident that they will fix it.

Old July 15th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Phil writes
I was looking at voip.co.uk's website and like the look of their optional UK
pack, seems very good value. I was just wondering if anyone had any
experience of them? Are they reliable,

Yes

what is the call quality like?

Excellent

Also I
have searched their website and can't find the technical details I would
need to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when I
sign up to them?

Can't remember, but you can definitely use your own ATA, so they must
have provided me with the info.

I haven't had any billing problems despite what others have said.

I'm using the Annual UK option (20)

David
Old July 15th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:11:50 +0100, "Phil"
wrote:

I was looking at voip.co.uk's website and like the look of their optional UK
pack, seems very good value.

Yes, it is, but be aware that only one concurrent call is free unless
you buy 2 UK packs.

was just wondering if anyone had any
experience of them? Are they reliable,

Yes.

what is the call quality like?

Depends on the codec you choose. If you use g711, it is excellent.
g729 uses less bandwidth, but is less good quality. They don't support
g736.

I've had some billing issues, where I've been charged very small
amounts for calls that should be free, but I think they've fixed the
problem, and they have credited the incorrect charges.

Their support is really good and helpful, but sometimes they take a
few days to roll into action for non-urgent stuff.

Also I
have searched their website and can't find the technical details I would
need to set up my router if I did sign up. Do they email this info if/when I
sign up to them?

You need to set the sip proxy to proxy.voip.co.uk (inbound and
outbound). You need to put in your sip device username (a numeric they
give you) into a field that may be called phone number on your ATA and
password (which you choose). That's all there is to it.

Unless the router has the ATA built in, you don't need to do anything
to your router.

The voip.co.uk setup you sort out in https://my.voip.co.uk/ is a bit
more complex: you set up the account name and password for each sip
device, assign phone numbers and set how one routes to the other on
this web page. They are supposedly going to publish docs soon, but at
present, it's a bit confusing.
Old July 16th 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys. Think I'll give them a go.

Old July 16th 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:

[...]

That's strange I use
registrar.voip.co.uk

Unless the router has the ATA built in, you don't need to do anything
to your router.

Can't comment on this but generally some ports need forwarding if you
are to use other providers. I am surprised voip.co.uk works without -
unless you are using a stun.

The voip.co.uk setup you sort out in
https://my.voip.co.uk/ is a bit
more complex: you set up the account name and password for each sip
device, assign phone numbers and set how one routes to the other on
this web page. They are supposedly going to publish docs soon, but at
present, it's a bit confusing.

My comments.
Good value. Have had some problems but they have been ironed out.
They still have problems with the on-line software but it isn't
causing me problems atm.
Voicemail is a bit basic. They were supposed to be making improvements
to it.
Overall I'm happy with voip.co.uk

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 16th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:06:40 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

Unless the router has the ATA built in, you don't need to do anything
to your router.

Can't comment on this but generally some ports need forwarding if you
are to use other providers. I am surprised voip.co.uk works without -
unless you are using a stun.

So am I. I had a load of ports forwarded and it was working fine, but
then I started getting drops or one way audio. I contacted voip.co.uk
tech support, and they suggested removing the port forwarding, because
it may be altering packets. I was skeptical, because I'm not using a
stun server, but it works.

My comments.
Good value. Have had some problems but they have been ironed out.
They still have problems with the on-line software but it isn't
causing me problems atm.
Voicemail is a bit basic. They were supposed to be making improvements
to it.

Ah, yes. Forgot to mention that. You only get one voicemail box per
account, no matter how many phone numbers and sip accounts you have.
You can only listen to your messages once over the phone, but they are
still there on the website to listen to again (or delete). And the
email notifications are good and quick. I've never tried the sms
notifications: I rarely bother reading text messages anyway.

Overall I'm happy with voip.co.uk

Same here.