How to defrag network drive..?

Old July 15th 06, 03:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ivor Jones

Default How to defrag network drive..?

I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB external Shared Storage Drive, which
connects via Ethernet to the network rather than USB to an individual
computer.

However, it doesn't show up on either Norton Speed Disk or the Disk
Defragmenter built into XP - how do I defrag it..? Is there a utility
which will do it..?

Ivor

Old July 21st 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB external Shared Storage Drive, which
connects via Ethernet to the network rather than USB to an individual
computer.

However, it doesn't show up on either Norton Speed Disk or the Disk
Defragmenter built into XP - how do I defrag it..? Is there a utility
which will do it..?

Try it under XP's disk management (in admin. tools). Quick way:
Start, Run, type 'diskmgmt.msc', click OK. I think it should show up
there.
HTH
--
Rob

Old July 21st 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:26:36 +0100, "Rob"
wrote:

I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB external Shared Storage Drive, which
connects via Ethernet to the network rather than USB to an individual
computer.

how do I defrag it..? Is there a utility
which will do it..?

Try it under XP's disk management (in admin. tools). Quick way:
Start, Run, type 'diskmgmt.msc', click OK. I think it should show up
there.

Will that not be very slow, can't think of any other option at the
moment though.

Geoff Lane

Old July 21st 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ivor Jones

"Geoff Lane" wrote in
message
wrote:

I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB external Shared
Storage Drive, which connects via Ethernet to the
network rather than USB to an individual computer.

how do I defrag it..? Is there a utility
which will do it..?

Try it under XP's disk management (in admin. tools).
Quick way: Start, Run, type 'diskmgmt.msc', click OK.
I think it should show up there.

Will that not be very slow, can't think of any other
option at the moment though.

The drive doesn't show up there, tried rescanning but nothing. Only local
volumes shown.

Ivor

Old July 21st 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Geoff Lane" wrote in
message
wrote:

I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB external Shared
Storage Drive, which connects via Ethernet to the
network rather than USB to an individual computer.

how do I defrag it..? Is there a utility
which will do it..?

Try it under XP's disk management (in admin. tools).
Quick way: Start, Run, type 'diskmgmt.msc', click OK.
I think it should show up there.

Will that not be very slow, can't think of any other
option at the moment though.

The drive doesn't show up there, tried rescanning but nothing. Only local
volumes shown.

Mmm, suspected that soon after I posted. If it's a proper NAS
device, you shouldn't have to defrag it - that should be done
automatically when needed by the box's internal processing
(many NAS devices don't even use a standard HD file format,
internally.) If it came with any management software, have a look
at that, as there may be options to set autodefrag while idle etc.
HTH
--
Rob

Old July 21st 06, 05:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ivor Jones

"Rob" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[snip]

The drive doesn't show up there, tried rescanning but
nothing. Only local volumes shown.

Mmm, suspected that soon after I posted. If it's a
proper NAS device, you shouldn't have to defrag it - that
should be done automatically when needed by the box's
internal processing (many NAS devices don't even use a
standard HD file format, internally.) If it came with
any management software, have a look at that, as there
may be options to set autodefrag while idle etc. HTH

No, there isn't any option on the management web-page interface, so
hopefully you're right and it doesn't need to be done. However it is
formatted as NTFS which is what made me wonder.

Thanks all anyway.

Ivor