Netgear router problem

Old July 15th 06, 10:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cyberdog

Default Netgear router problem

Hi,
I have a Netgear DG834 v2 router. Their is a mac address connecting to the
router which does not seem to belong to any of my attached devices. What I
would like to know is, how can I block this mac address to see what happens.
Thanks.
Old July 15th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ivor Jones

"Cyberdog" wrote in message

Hi,
I have a Netgear DG834 v2 router. Their is a mac address
connecting to the router which does not seem to belong to
any of my attached devices. What I would like to know is,
how can I block this mac address to see what happens.
Thanks.

Try using ethereal to see what packets are being sent to/from that
address. That should give you some idea what it is.

Ivor

Old July 15th 06, 10:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cyberdog

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:21:38 +0100, Jon wrote:

Add it to the list of blocked devices and switch on access control.

I thought of doing this, but I can`t see where the blocked devices section is.
Any ideas please??
Thanks
Old July 16th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cyberdog

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:38:36 +0100, Jon wrote:

declared for all the world to hear...
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:21:38 +0100, Jon wrote:

Add it to the list of blocked devices and switch on access control.

I thought of doing this, but I can`t see where the blocked devices section is.
Any ideas please??

It's been a while since I had a netgear, I can't remember. SHould be
fairly easy to find, look for firewall or security settings or similar.

Thanks Jon,
I found the firewall rules and put an incoming and outgoing block on the ip of
the mac address. See what happens, and if anything stops working.
Thanks
Old July 17th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cyberdog

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:40:41 +0100, "Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote:

I don't think you configure it as a firewall rule. As far as I remember,
wireless MAC address filtering is done on the Wireless menu. Would you
believe I've just spent several panicky minutes wondering why I can't browse
to my router, before it dawned on me that I'm accessing the internet by
dial-up at the moment while I'm on holiday. I feel a right pillock now!

Hi,
I think their is some confusion. The IP/Mac address is appearing on my
Ethernet router, not a WiFi one. As for trying to access your router while on
holiday, you could always blame it on the heat at the moment ;-))
My Ethernet router is showing up a Mac address that does not belong to any of
the attached systems, which is confusing me slightly. I have done as Jon
suggested and setup a firewall rule with incoming and outgoing blocking of the
IP. All I can do now is wait to see if any of my attached systems fall over,
if they don`t I will have to take another look as to what this Mac address
belongs to.
Enjoy your holiday.
Thanks.