Linksys router causing noise on phones

Old July 15th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Linksys router causing noise on phones

Peter wrote:
I should add that Zen told the customer that he must change his router
and try that; they said that BT will not send out an ADSL trained
engineer (to check if the BT equipment is causing it).

This seems bizzare to me; I would have thought that BT had an
obligation to Zen to test the BT part of the equipment.

Most online sellers are extremely reluctant to take stuff back; one
has to really press on them hard.

If he has had it less than a week he can return it under the Distance
Selling Regulations

--
Peter Crosland

Old July 15th 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"Peter" wrote in message

"Peter Crosland" wrote

If he has had it less than a week he can return it under the Distance
Selling Regulations

Just over, unfortunately.

I have the Linksys WAG354 modem router (mite be the same one), and noticed
issues with the filters that came with it being very poor quality, also are
all phones plugged in using a filter (esp if extensions going all over the
place)..

Mine was poor at keeping connections until I took the step of plugging right
at the master socket and everything went ok from then on...

Surely must have a case to argue that if it is faulty then it took time to
come to light and investigate \ conclude as being the issue....

Do you have another modem to try on the line to confirm as being the linksys
at fault...

Stu

Old July 15th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"Peter" wrote in message

"Stu C" wrote

Do you have another modem to try on the line to confirm as being the
linksys
at fault...

Not another modem, but a 2nd filter has been tried.

certainly suggest trying another modem just to discount as my experience
showed linksys is tempremental... also the psu on mine gets damn hot!!

This issue with getting bt out is that they tend to charge you 40 if the
fault is proved to be on your part, plus you get into the blame circle of
ISP \ Modem \ BT \ User wiring as the issue.. so the more you can discount,
the more certain you can be it isn't on your (friends) side..

is the inteference when just one phone is in? or is it when both are plugged
in,,, does the computer have a modem plugged in, or is there sky digital ,,,
could be a high ren count (does that still apply nowadays??)..

I ended up bining the two that came with my modem and using my old
speedtouch filters (wonder if any difference in active \ passive
filters?)...

Stuart

Old July 16th 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rialto

"Stu C" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message

"Stu C" wrote

Do you have another modem to try on the line to confirm as being the
linksys
at fault...

Not another modem, but a 2nd filter has been tried.

Also, check that there isn't another unfiltered device attached directly to
the master wiring, such as a separate ringer - everything other than the
modem needs a filter.

Old July 17th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveB

I've had all this phone noise nonsense, same as described. Tried 3 routers
of different makes, all the same- the hissy scratchy noise starts up as soon
as they sync. I suspect the BT gear at the exchange myself, but a BT
engineer visit arranged by my ISP (it's free then, if you call BT yourself
expect lame excuses and a 58 fee) to look at an intermittent dropped ADSL
sync problem fixed the low variable SNR after they swapped my street wires
over. That visit gained me a stable line with a 27dB SNR (2Mb), but phone
noise continued at a slightly lower level. After a lot of swapping stuff
around, I found that phones & filters vary a lot and that mains power
adapters can cause a lot of noise pickup. Try moving mains leads/ adapters
around to see if it makes a difference.

The worst phones are BT analogue cordless as they not only get a lot of
noise but also distort the speech enough to make it unintelligible much of
the time, a shame as they're the best phones for people with hearing aids
generally speaking (inductive loop) and my wife wears two. Normal BT corded
phones are OK, and a DECT OneTel cordless works OK (Argos sell them),
probably a bit better than the corded one .

The filters used affects the amount of phone noise a lot, I've tried several
unbranded,a US Robotics one, and also a BT ADSL faceplate but the quietest
by far was the ADSLNation Xf-1e I'm now using.

There may not be a simple fix, you may well have to try a few things to get
rid of most of the noise.

Old July 20th 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"Peter" wrote in message

"SteveB" [email protected] wrote:
His router is the new Linksys WAG3B

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?LIN-WAG3B

whereas I have (both at home and at work) an old Draytek 2900Gi with a
very old D-Link 300G ADSL modem.

I am an electronics design engineer, and to me the problem doesn't
sound like a duff router. It reportedly varies with time of day (which
tends to rule out a bad solder joint, or a failing electrolytic cap)
and is more of a "crackle" than any high frequency stuff. An
additional microfilter makes no difference. However, the crackle
disappears when the power lead is unplugged from the Linksys router; I
saw this myself. I reckon it's a BT problem....

looks the same as mine (got mine from pc world) and to be honest think the
issue is in the psu, it gets damn hot and if near the filters will cause
interference... occaisonaly see 'a' spark on the connector bit if unplug
from router with mains still powered..
As you say the crackly disappears when power lead is unplugged, then this
may be the source of the problem..

mine would also randomly disconnect when phone line was plugged in via
extensions, siting directly at the master socket has firmly resolved this
(i.e. Margin improved to over 10, from 2-6 when plugged in extenstion)..
also noted best when plugged directly into the test socket, and noted
comments elsewhere about the bell wire..

I think linksys are just tempremental..

Old July 21st 06, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"Stu C" wrote in message

| "Peter" wrote in message
|
| "SteveB" [email protected] wrote:
| His router is the new Linksys WAG3B
|
| http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?LIN-WAG3B
|
| whereas I have (both at home and at work) an old Draytek 2900Gi with a
| very old D-Link 300G ADSL modem.
|
| I am an electronics design engineer, and to me the problem doesn't
| sound like a duff router. It reportedly varies with time of day (which
| tends to rule out a bad solder joint, or a failing electrolytic cap)
| and is more of a "crackle" than any high frequency stuff. An
| additional microfilter makes no difference. However, the crackle
| disappears when the power lead is unplugged from the Linksys router; I
| saw this myself. I reckon it's a BT problem....
|

| looks the same as mine (got mine from pc world) and to be honest think the
| issue is in the psu, it gets damn hot and if near the filters will cause
| interference... occaisonaly see 'a' spark on the connector bit if unplug
| from router with mains still powered..
| As you say the crackly disappears when power lead is unplugged, then this
| may be the source of the problem..
|
| mine would also randomly disconnect when phone line was plugged in via
| extensions, siting directly at the master socket has firmly resolved this
| (i.e. Margin improved to over 10, from 2-6 when plugged in extenstion)..
| also noted best when plugged directly into the test socket, and noted
| comments elsewhere about the bell wire..
|
| I think linksys are just tempremental..

Sounds like a line fault to me that is temperature dependent, such as a High
resistance Joint in the network. It does not have a decent full metalic loop
back to the exchange and thus the noise manifests itself in the earpiece. The
DSL side of it may give higher noise figures as a result of it, but will
probably still work with the odd dropout.

as for:
"| mine would also randomly disconnect when phone line was plugged in via
| extensions,"

That is clearly an issue with the customers internal wiring. That can't be
blamed on the router.

Old July 21st 06, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"Peter" wrote in message

| "Pier Danone" Pier wrote:
|
| Sounds like a line fault to me that is temperature dependent, such as a High
| resistance Joint in the network. It does not have a decent full metalic loop
| back to the exchange and thus the noise manifests itself in the earpiece. The
| DSL side of it may give higher noise figures as a result of it, but will
| probably still work with the odd dropout.
|
| The Q is how you explain that to a BT engineer who is not even ADSL
| trained....

The answer to that is to make sure the fault is reported following the correct
process, via the ISP, having proved the equipment (ie fault still present on the
modem they supplied (if relevant). If it is done this way, you should be greated
by an ADSL engineer UNLESS the line has a clear fault on it. In this case, an
'LN' skilled engineer will be sent to fix that in the first instance.

However, if you report the line as 'noisy' to BT or your service provider - you
won't get an ADSL engineer out at all. In fact you NEVER get an ADSL engineer
out if the fault is reported as a telephony fault to BT as it is impossible for
the BT system to apply the skill RADSL/ADSL/*ADSL to any job reported in that
fashion. Only jobs reported via the ISP get that skill requirement and that is
the thing that determines what engineer comes out.

To get round this, don't report the line as noisy. Instead report it to you ISP
as dropping out and put an extra note on it saying 'also overhearing adsl
screech on voice calls - new filters tried'.

Hope that helps.