ntl & DNS

Old July 15th 06, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Default ntl & DNS

There are suggestions ntl has fouled up DNS for those running their own
nameservers - I and it seems a number of other users in the Cambridge
area have been having problems for the past few days. ntl deny any
network changes have taken place that would affect this.

Can anyone confirm this, or whether problems are more wide-spread? Or
indeed suggest what might be happening?

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 15th 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Woodhouse

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 18:34 +0000, Mike Scott wrote:
There are suggestions ntl has fouled up DNS for those running their
own nameservers - I and it seems a number of other users in the
Cambridge area have been having problems for the past few days. ntl
deny any network changes have taken place that would affect this.

Can anyone confirm this, or whether problems are more wide-spread? Or
indeed suggest what might be happening?

I've heard reports of this but can't offer any more enlightenment other
than that you aren't going mad -- others have seen it too.

Allegedly, 'dig' tends to work fine, while BIND often fails to get
wasn't able to determine whether the nameserver in question had been
configured to always send queries from port 53 -- which may have
explained the different behaviour between the two.

A simultaneous tcpdump at both your end and on a remote nameserver which
you query directly would be enlightening.

--
dwmw2

Old July 16th 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

David Woodhouse wrote:
[...]

Not very. I've been running ethereal (does all the decoding work) and
also dnstracer; I don't have direct access to any external nameservers.
There's been quite a long thread running on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
about this (there're some very knowledgeable and helpful people there).
What I see is correctly-formatted nameserver requests going out, and
replies coming back - however the information in the reply is likely to
be incomplete: for some domains the result records are /always/ missing,
while even the question (which is usually returned with the answer) is
not always there. Packets aren't being dropped (I get /something/ back
for each question going out); checksums are all present and correct.

That's when running my own caching nameserver. If I use ntl's servers
then things are /mostly/ OK - although yesterday there were a couple of
hiccups with similar symptoms even from these. I've tried both BIND and
another nameserver whose name escapes me for now. I've even swapped out
the whole machine, just on the offchance, but it makes no difference.
Whatever is happening is nothing to do with my setup; it's most unlikely
to be a problem on the net as a whole, or the world would be howling
long and loud. Therefore I conclude it's ntl. Who deny all knowledge of
any changes. One suggestion is it's due to tinkering on behalf of HMG
who want a clampdown on p_rn websites.

My problems, btw, seem to have started on 6th July.

Old July 16th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:22:27 GMT, mike scott
wrote:

snip

One suggestion is it's due to tinkering on behalf of HMG
who want a clampdown on p_rn websites.

My problems, btw, seem to have started on 6th July.

What is a p_m website?

DCB
Old July 16th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

wrote:

One suggestion is it's due to tinkering on behalf of HMG
who want a clampdown on p_rn websites.

My problems, btw, seem to have started on 6th July.

What is a p_m website?

You either need new glasses or a new font! :-)

That's P _ R N - pictures with an excess of flesh tones.

(or perhaps the well known effect of viewing such sites is kicking in!
:-) )
http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old July 17th 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

David Woodhouse wrote:
On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 18:34 +0000, Mike Scott wrote:
There are suggestions ntl has fouled up DNS for those running their
own nameservers - I and it seems a number of other users in the
Cambridge area have been having problems for the past few days. ntl
deny any network changes have taken place that would affect this.

I've heard reports of this but can't offer any more enlightenment other
than that you aren't going mad -- others have seen it too.

A simultaneous tcpdump at both your end and on a remote nameserver which
you query directly would be enlightening.

Per Hedeland, one of the more regular and respected contributors over on
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, has been very helpful; he's been looking at
some ethereal dumps and reckons it's an ntl-imposed problem, probably
some of sort of failed transparent DNS cache.

Given others on ntl see similar things, it's not my kit, and it can't be
on the net as a whole or a /lot/ of people would be screaming, I don't
see that blame can be put elsewhere than ntl.

The thread over there is titled "major DNS hiccup", for the interested.

The question now is how to pressure ntl into fixing it (with or without
admitting they're at fault). Ideas??

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 17th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon Warbrick

In article ,
Mike Scott wrote:
There are suggestions ntl has fouled up DNS for those running their own
nameservers - I and it seems a number of other users in the Cambridge
area have been having problems for the past few days. ntl deny any
network changes have taken place that would affect this.

Can anyone confirm this, or whether problems are more wide-spread? Or
indeed suggest what might be happening?

I'm defiantly seeing problems, with slow or failing NDS lookups on my
caching nameserver and lots of 'lame server' messages in bind's error
log (many from servers that I have reason to believe are not lame).

I first saw this problem at 11:06:01 on 6th July, which seems to match
other observations.

Jon.

Old July 18th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Jon Warbrick wrote:
In article ,
Mike Scott wrote:
There are suggestions ntl has fouled up DNS for those running their own
nameservers - I and it seems a number of other users in the Cambridge
area have been having problems for the past few days. ntl deny any
network changes have taken place that would affect this.

Can anyone confirm this, or whether problems are more wide-spread? Or
indeed suggest what might be happening?

I'm defiantly seeing problems, with slow or failing NDS lookups on my
caching nameserver and lots of 'lame server' messages in bind's error
log (many from servers that I have reason to believe are not lame).

I first saw this problem at 11:06:01 on 6th July, which seems to match
other observations.

Indeed; analysis over in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc suggests it's almost
certainly something ntl have done.

I have no idea why it affects only some domains; I'm currently
contemplating a DNS version of traceroute to see where requests get to,
but that's non-trivial and won't happen in a hurry if at all.

Maybe everyone affected should complain - I've had the brush-off
already, but ought to try to get this escalated past front-line support.
The problem is that using ntl's nameservers (usually) works, so this
will be their get-out clause, I suspect.

A workaround would be to use forwarding rather than caching for a local
nameserver. But it rather defeats the object, IMO.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)