When A chopped through B's phone wires...

Old July 16th 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default When A chopped through B's phone wires...

Two of us are in slight contention over possible damage to a computer.
We are hoping that the collective brains of this group might resolve
the issue. Both of us have agreed this text. One of us is A. and lives
in the same building as B, the owner of the computer. At issue is:

What is the probability that by his actions A caused the damage
described to B's computer.

WHAT A. DID. A number of wires passed through a conservatory roof
where A lives. These were mainly phone cables but also two TV aerial
cables. Most of the phone wires went into a junction box then out of
the junction box and back out through the roof. One of the points
where the wires passed through the roof allowed rainwater to leak into
the building. Knowing some of the wires to be redundant and believing
them all to be so A. cut through them all and pulled them all back
outside the roof. The two holes were then sealed.

WHAT B. DID. On the same morning that A. did the above, B. tried to
make a phone call but was unable and reported a fault to the phone
engineer. On further investigatation B. discovered his phone wires
were cut. "Gosh!" thought B. B. met A. and enquired after the state of
A's phone, whereupon A. explained what he had done. "Oh dear!" they
both said.

WHAT A. AND B. THEN DID. They agreed that, between the two of them,
they might manage to re-establish B's connection by trial and error.
From among the tangle of chopped wires they believed they might be
able to reverse the vasectomy. At first attempt they got a dialling
tone, albeit with some background noise. At this point they believed
they had basically solved the problem, even though B was still unable
to make or receive a calls.

WHAT B. THEN DID. B. decided to test his internet connection. B.
connected his modem to his pc and booted up in the usual manner.
Boot-up went as normal, and everything appeared OK. However, when B.
tried to go online [AOL broadband] it appeared that there was no
connection. B. thought no more of the matter and pottered about for
about an hour. On returning to his pc the screen was all white with
grey vertical bands and some red stripes.

Next day an engineer put the matter right. What A and B had in fact
done was reconnect to the wrong line. However, even with the now
properly restored phone connection B's pc still had the weird grey
with red stripes display. Seeking advice among friends the view seemed
to be a knackered video card. One person suggested that if the
incorrect connection had been to an ISDN line, "which carries twice
the voltage of a normal phone line" that could somehow have fried the
video card's brain. A different monitor was tried with the same
result, thus eliminating the monitor as the problem.

THEREFO I refer the right honourable members to my initial
question; what is the probability that A damaged B's computer or B's
video card either by a] initially chopping through the wires or b] by
inadvertently connecting them to the wrong ones?

B's pc is a Pentium iv, slot one running on XP. The video card is an
Nvidia GForce 4.

Many thanks for any help and/or advice!

A. and B.

Old July 16th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

wrote in message

Snip sad story.

THEREFO I refer the right honourable members to my initial
question; what is the probability that A damaged B's computer or B's
video card either by a] initially chopping through the wires or b] by
inadvertently connecting them to the wrong ones?

B's pc is a Pentium iv, slot one running on XP. The video card is an
Nvidia GForce 4.

Many thanks for any help and/or advice!

A. and B.

There were several voltages that might have been around, and won't
necessarily have done B's computer any good if presented to it, especially
if they came in on the ground side - these a -

Telephone exchange voltage (-48VDC), but a modem should live through this
Ring - ~90VAC - ibid
ISDN - 96V

but the most likely culprit is that something without a proper earth was
connected to the aerial cables and has floated up to something like 110VAC
(like my hi-fi - I discovered a nice tingle while messing with the aerial
12m up near the edge of the roof!).

Can't price up the particular card you refer to, but Nvidia start below 30,
so offer him 20 without prejudice.

Old July 16th 06, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

wrote in message
Two of us are in slight contention over possible damage to a computer.
We are hoping that the collective brains of this group might resolve
the issue. Both of us have agreed this text. One of us is A. and lives
in the same building as B, the owner of the computer. At issue is:

[snip]

IMHO, if the voltage on the phone wire was sufficient to cause damage, it
would have caused other damage before reaching, and possibly damaging, the
video card (ie to the modem/router or even possibly the mother board). As
you said the computer initially booted up OK, I cannot visualise how the
video card, and nothing else, was affected.

Retired

Old July 16th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaxtraw

Old Codger wrote:
wrote:
Two of us are in slight contention over possible damage to a
computer. We are hoping that the collective brains of this group
might resolve the issue. Both of us have agreed this text. One of us
is A. and lives in the same building as B, the owner of the
computer. At issue is:

Snip details

THEREFO I refer the right honourable members to my initial
question; what is the probability that A damaged B's computer or B's
video card either by a] initially chopping through the wires or b] by
inadvertently connecting them to the wrong ones?

The phone connection goes to an ADSL modem (perhaps as part of a
router). It goes nowhere near the video card (or the monitor). The
failure as described is IMHO just a coincidence and nothing to do
with the described actions of either A or B.

Additionally, since A and B both agreed to reconnect the phone lines despite
apparently neither A nor B having any knowledge of telecommunications
technology, A can hardly blame B for anything since A was a party to B's
behaviour, so A might as well accept he's been a bit of a silly and take his
computer to somebody who knows how to fix computers, before he breaks
anything else.

Ian

--
www.jaxtrawstudios.com
science fiction comics with shagging in

Old July 17th 06, 08:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks 'Old Codger' Your views chime well with the vast majority.

Duncan

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:21:27 +0100, "Old Codger"

[...]

e-mail use reply to field