MaxDSL connection up and down

Old July 18th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.amstereoradio.info

Default MaxDSL connection up and down

Getting somewhat tedious this, half the time my speed is about 4.7Mbit other
times right down to around 350kb/s. What is going on here ? 2 weeks on
getting a bit fed up with it. My ISP suggest I try the router in the BT
master socket but why will this maybe sort the problem ? I don't believe it
will. Any clues ? It's a total Joke that you can not conact BT wholesale
direct but have to go though your ISP etc...

Old July 18th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:36:58 UTC, "www.amstereoradio.info"
wrote:

Getting somewhat tedious this, half the time my speed is about 4.7Mbit other
times right down to around 350kb/s. What is going on here ? 2 weeks on
getting a bit fed up with it. My ISP suggest I try the router in the BT
master socket but why will this maybe sort the problem ? I don't believe it
will.

You are wrong. A common problem is the extension wiring (no matter how
confident you may be in it).

Remove the lower half of the master socket, thus isolating all the
extension wiring. Plug your filter into the socket inside. Move the PC
(or router, anyway) near the socket, and use a short lead from filter to
PC/router). If that doesn't improve it, you have a strong case.

(if it does, you can eat your words, of course!)

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old July 18th 06, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:23:41 UTC, thoss wrote:

Why do you need the filter if there is no phone on the line? Better,
surely, without it.

I wondered whether to explain that. Basically, because the plug won't
fit. The master socket has a BT phone socket, and the router/PC will
have an RJ-11 plug.

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old July 18th 06, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, thoss wrote:

Why do you need the filter if there is no phone on the line?

To adapt between the BT socket on the wall, and the RJ11-ish plug on
the ADSL cable?

Better, surely, without it.

Should work, *if* you happen to have a suitable BT--RJ11 patch cord.

Old July 18th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Getting somewhat tedious this, half the time my speed is about
4.7Mbit other times right down to around 350kb/s. What is going on
here ? 2 weeks on getting a bit fed up with it. My ISP suggest I try
the router in the BT master socket but why will this maybe sort the
problem ? I don't believe it will.

Why not? The whole idea of using the test socket (assuming you have a
removeable faceplate) is to remove any filters or equipment from the
equation. That is all a BT engineer would do. If the fault still persists
then it is likely to be you modem or the BT equipment/line. When trying to
solve a complex problem it needs to be done stage by stage.

Any clues ? It's a total Joke
that you can not conact BT wholesale direct but have to go though
your ISP etc...

Mainly because if BT get involved and the fault is not with their
equipment/line then the ISP or you will get a bill for 60+.

Peter Crosland

Old July 18th 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thoss

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:23:41 UTC, thoss wrote:

Why do you need the filter if there is no phone on the line? Better,
surely, without it.

I wondered whether to explain that. Basically, because the plug won't
fit. The master socket has a BT phone socket, and the router/PC will
have an RJ-11 plug.

That makes thanls. Thanks.
--
Thoss
Old July 18th 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

www.amstereoradio.info wrote:
It's a total Joke that you can not conact BT wholesale
direct but have to go though your ISP etc...

You are not contract to BT wholesale, you are contracted to your ISP.

Why should BT wholesale have to field calls from random end-users who
are not their customers?
Old July 22nd 06, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 18 Jul 2006, "Bob Eager" wrote:

The master socket has a BT phone socket, and the router/PC will
have an RJ-11 plug.

Most, certainly. First router I bought came with both RJ11 -- BT
and RJ11 -- RJ11. Peter M.