two computers on same broadband account

Old July 18th 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default two computers on same broadband account

I'm using talktalk with a router for my laptop and it works fine.
However, I work from home and if I plug my pc into the broadband via
the modem supplied then the laptop can't receive a signal from the
router. I understood that any number of computers could plug into the
same broadband account. Doesn't this count though if one is via modem
and one via router?

Do I have to configure something so that the two computers share the
broadband?

P.S. The office is at the bottom of the garden so I can't get a signal
to run the office pc off the router.

Help greatly appreciated

Peter

Old July 18th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm using talktalk with a router for my laptop and it works fine.
However, I work from home and if I plug my pc into the broadband via
the modem supplied then the laptop can't receive a signal from the
router. I understood that any number of computers could plug into the
same broadband account. Doesn't this count though if one is via modem
and one via router?

Do I have to configure something so that the two computers share the
broadband?

P.S. The office is at the bottom of the garden so I can't get a signal
to run the office pc off the router.

I think you will find that your router is an ADSL modem/router. In other
words you are trying to run two modems on the line and that won't work.
You need to connect both computers to the router either by wireless (which
you say won't work) or by a long ethernet cable.

Other people on the group may be able to advise you how to boost your
wireless signal.

--
Keith Willcocks

Old July 18th 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Undrill

Keith Willcocks wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You may be able to use one of the "Etherplug" type devices that
transmit the network through the mains. I found the HomePlug from
SolWise.co.uk works well. You'll need two of them, one at each
end. Be aware that it won't work through a meter so if you have a
seperate meter for the office then it won't work.

Mark

Old July 18th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

wrote:
I'm using talktalk with a router for my laptop and it works fine.
However, I work from home and if I plug my pc into the broadband via
the modem supplied then the laptop can't receive a signal from the
router. I understood that any number of computers could plug into the
same broadband account. Doesn't this count though if one is via modem
and one via router?

What you have there are two modems. This does not work.

You can connect a number of different machines to your network's side of the
router. To get more than one machine on the router, you need to install
suitable network cabling/hardware.

Do I have to configure something so that the two computers share the
broadband?

Just point them both at the router via suitable cabling. If you are not using
DHCP, then the two machines need to have different IP addresses on the same
network as each other and the local side of the router, and set the default
gateway address to the local side of the router's IP address.

P.S. The office is at the bottom of the garden so I can't get a signal
to run the office pc off the router.

Your options are somewhat limited then.

I assume you have some form of telephone extension running down suitable ducting
to the other end of the garden. (If it is not ducted, it should be, as the
lightning gods seem to have quite impressive aiming ability when it comes to
improperly shielded cable)

If you can run CAT5 down this duct as well, providing an ethernet port in the
office, with the other end at the router, you can plug in the office PC down
there, or, with a suitable hub/switch, any number of office PCs down there.

Other options include wireless ethernet, although if it's any distance, you will
probably need to set up a suitably directional antenna, and have good radio line
of sight (which is _not_ the same as visible line of sight) between the office
and the antenna. You will need a wireless access point, which may replace the
router you already have, or may be in addition to it (some ADSL modem/routers
have wireless)

Running ethernet is still the cheapest option, if you can run additional cabling.

If the cable to the office is CAT5, you _could_ (although I wouldn't recommend
it) use the green and orange pairs to run ethernet to the office, and use the
blue pair to carry the voice telephone line to the office. The blue pair need
to be connected to the filtered side of the telephone line, and you need either
a master socket (or the spare ADSL filter) to regenerate the ring signal at the
other end.
For this, you would need an ethernet interface in the office PC, two RJ45 wall
boxes, and two appropriately sized RJ45 patch cables.

Running ethernet and telephone signals down the same run of CAT5 is not really
recommended[1], and is certainly not recommended if you let the ADSL signal get
anywhere near that run of oddly-wired cable. By confining the ADSL-carrying
cabling to a short run within the house, rather than all the way down the
garden, you will probably find that the ADSL speeds you can achieve will
improve, especially on DSLmax.

I could scribble out a wiring diagram, scan it and post it, if you're
interested, but personally, I'd run a separate CAT5 line.

Jim

[1] But hey, BT run all kinds of weird stuff down adjacent pairs in their cabling.