Installing Wadadoo BB on new PC

Old July 18th 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim

Default Installing Wadadoo BB on new PC

Sis has Wanadoo broadband (don't ask). I am staying for a few
weeks and want to configure my PC so that I can connect to it.

She has lost (misplaced/whatever) the installation CD.

Does anyone know how I can manually configure my PC so
that I can connect to it? I have got a Wanadoo BB disk
but as soon as you click on "install Broadband" it attempts
to make a dial up connection which I don't have.

She has a Speedtouch 330 USB modem which I think I
have found the driver for, but this still leaves me without a
connection.

Does anyone know what I should do?

TIA

tim

Old July 18th 06, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

tim wrote:
Sis has Wanadoo broadband (don't ask). I am staying for a few
weeks and want to configure my PC so that I can connect to it.

She has lost (misplaced/whatever) the installation CD.

Does anyone know how I can manually configure my PC so
that I can connect to it? I have got a Wanadoo BB disk
but as soon as you click on "install Broadband" it attempts
to make a dial up connection which I don't have.

She has a Speedtouch 330 USB modem which I think I
have found the driver for, but this still leaves me without a
connection.

Does anyone know what I should do?

TIA

tim

put the bb disk in the drive, close down whatever opens automatically,
explore the cd and look for the speedtouch drivers, that is all you need
from the cd.

Install the drivers, plug in the usb modem. Make a new internet dialup
connection (the speedtouch simulates a dialup), put in the username and the
password. The username is usually something like [email protected] It
is essentially the last part of her email, with @fs tagged on. Then put in
her account password, for a dialiup number, put anything, as it isnt used.

That should be it, if you have a problem make sure the usb modem is selected
by the dial up network connection, it usually shows up as some kind of isdn
modem.

voila

Gaz

Old July 18th 06, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaxtraw

Gaz wrote:
tim wrote:
Sis has Wanadoo broadband (don't ask). I am staying for a few
weeks and want to configure my PC so that I can connect to it.

She has lost (misplaced/whatever) the installation CD.

Does anyone know how I can manually configure my PC so
that I can connect to it? I have got a Wanadoo BB disk
but as soon as you click on "install Broadband" it attempts
to make a dial up connection which I don't have.

She has a Speedtouch 330 USB modem which I think I
have found the driver for, but this still leaves me without a
connection.

Does anyone know what I should do?

TIA

tim

put the bb disk in the drive, close down whatever opens automatically,

Does anyone actually leave that incredibly annoying autostart CD "feature"
switched on? It ranks with "hide extensions of known file types" as one of
the most assinine default settings for Windows.

Ian

Old July 18th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Jaxtraw wrote:
Gaz wrote:
tim wrote:
[...]

If it wasnt switched on by default, support lines would be overloaded with
users wanting to know why their broadband wont install.

Gaz

Old July 19th 06, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim

"Gaz" wrote in message
tim wrote:
Sis has Wanadoo broadband (don't ask). I am staying for a few
weeks and want to configure my PC so that I can connect to it.

She has lost (misplaced/whatever) the installation CD.

Does anyone know how I can manually configure my PC so
that I can connect to it? I have got a Wanadoo BB disk
but as soon as you click on "install Broadband" it attempts
to make a dial up connection which I don't have.

She has a Speedtouch 330 USB modem which I think I
have found the driver for, but this still leaves me without a
connection.

Does anyone know what I should do?

TIA

tim

put the bb disk in the drive, close down whatever opens automatically,
explore the cd and look for the speedtouch drivers, that is all you need
from the cd.

Actually it seems that this is the part I can't do,

The drivers aren't on the CD you get from shops.
The one that I downloaded from http://www.speedtouch.com/support.htm
does nothing for me and copying from the other machine didn't
work either.

Anyone know where I can get this software from?

tim

Old July 19th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"tim" wrote in message

Sis has Wanadoo broadband (don't ask). I am staying for
a few weeks and want to configure my PC so that I can
connect to it.
She has lost (misplaced/whatever) the installation CD.

Does anyone know how I can manually configure my PC so
that I can connect to it? I have got a Wanadoo BB disk
but as soon as you click on "install Broadband" it
attempts to make a dial up connection which I don't have.

She has a Speedtouch 330 USB modem which I think I
have found the driver for, but this still leaves me
without a connection.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Ditch the awful USB thing and get a proper modem/router with Ethernet or
wireless access. Then you can connect as many computers as you want.

Ivor

Old July 19th 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
C!

tim wrote:
Actually it seems that this is the part I can't do,

The drivers aren't on the CD you get from shops.
The one that I downloaded from http://www.speedtouch.com/support.htm
does nothing for me and copying from the other machine didn't
work either.

Anyone know where I can get this software from?

I have had the exact same probelm in the past. The drivers on the
speedtouch website don't include phonebook.ini which is the file you
need. The reason for this is because the phonebook.ini file is
operator specific.

Copy the text below into notepad. File-Save As and put
"phonebook.ini" (with the quotes) as the filename

Then when the driver install asks for that file, you know where to
point it to

Chris

'------Start of file-----
[Version]
FileVersion=3.0

[Driver]
DriverType=0

[ModemSettings]
ModemOption=10

[Modem.ISDN]
ModemMode=3

[Modem.POTS]
ModemMode=11

[USB]
MaxAltSetting=1
BandWidthAlgo=0
ForcedSelection=0
BMaxDSL=8128

[Maximum simultaneous connections]
MaxSimConnections=1

[0001]
Name=ISP name
PeakDownstreamBitRate=254
EncapsulationMode=0
PeakUpstreamBitRate=26
VpiVci_VPI=0
VpiVci_VCI=38
DataAltSetting=3
FCS=

[cks]
cks=35629
'-----End of file-----

Old July 19th 06, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"tim" wrote in message

Sis has Wanadoo broadband (don't ask). I am staying for
a few weeks and want to configure my PC so that I can
connect to it.
She has lost (misplaced/whatever) the installation CD.

Does anyone know how I can manually configure my PC so
that I can connect to it? I have got a Wanadoo BB disk
but as soon as you click on "install Broadband" it
attempts to make a dial up connection which I don't have.

She has a Speedtouch 330 USB modem which I think I
have found the driver for, but this still leaves me
without a connection.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Ditch the awful USB thing and get a proper modem/router with Ethernet or
wireless access. Then you can connect as many computers as you want.

Is it as simple as that? Do I just go into a shop, buy
one and then plug it in the splitter thingy on the phone?

Tim

Ivor

Old July 19th 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaxtraw

tim wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"tim" wrote in message

Sis has Wanadoo broadband (don't ask). I am staying for
a few weeks and want to configure my PC so that I can
connect to it.
She has lost (misplaced/whatever) the installation CD.

Does anyone know how I can manually configure my PC so
that I can connect to it? I have got a Wanadoo BB disk
but as soon as you click on "install Broadband" it
attempts to make a dial up connection which I don't have.

She has a Speedtouch 330 USB modem which I think I
have found the driver for, but this still leaves me
without a connection.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Ditch the awful USB thing and get a proper modem/router with
Ethernet or wireless access. Then you can connect as many computers
as you want.

Is it as simple as that? Do I just go into a shop, buy
one and then plug it in the splitter thingy on the phone?

Sort of, pretty much. Buy a router, plug it in to the phone line splitter
thingy, connect it to your PC with an ethernet cable, then spend an hour or
so going round in circles in Windows XP's ridiculous wizards answering
questions about whether you have a computer in the "family room" whatever
the blazes that is, give up on that crap, set the start menu to classic
style, set the control panel to classic style, finally find the network
icon, get into that, set your IP addresses manually without the stupid
wizards, ignore the idiot warnings that your setup is unsafe, fiddle around
until you find out how to turn off the stupid built-in firewall, switch that
crap off, finally say hi to the router with your browser, give it your
sister's connection details (if she wasn't given them when she signed up for
this brassband thing on the interwebs you'll need to call support and tell
them you're not interested in their crappy CD), then congratulations, you're
done. Happy browsing!

Ian

Old July 20th 06, 07:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Jaxtraw" wrote in message

tim wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

It's not that bad..! Once you have the device configured with the ISP
details (assuming the ISP requires a username/password, not all do) then
it's pretty much plug & play. I've never had to do any configuration on
the computers I've plugged in, other than ensuring they are set to get an
IP address off the router's DHCP server (I won't confuse the OP with talk
of static IP addressing at this stage..!) - once they've got a local
address they can see the net fine.

The only thing that you really *must* do is get a decent firewall, the XP
one isn't all that good.

Ivor