One BT line can i have two BB providers

Old July 19th 06, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
allnewtonyg

Default One BT line can i have two BB providers

Hi,

I'm currently using Telewest however work are installing a BT line +
broadband into my house for me.

I'm concerned about how much i download and if I'll be capped on the new
BT BB line. However my question is can i have another BB supplier and
simply unplug my work BB and plug in my priviate BB using the one line?

Thanks
Old July 19th 06, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

allnewtonyg wrote:
However my question is can i have another BB supplier and
simply unplug my work BB and plug in my priviate BB using the one line?

No, only one BB provider per line.
Old July 19th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"allnewtonyg" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi,

I'm currently using Telewest however work are installing a BT line +
broadband into my house for me.

I'm concerned about how much i download and if I'll be capped on the new
BT BB line. However my question is can i have another BB supplier and
simply unplug my work BB and plug in my priviate BB using the one line?

Yes and no ...

The Telewest and BT lines will be completely separate, therefore you could
have both.
However, you can't have 2 adsl connections on the same BT line.

You could always tell your employer that you use a lot of bandwidth, so the
BT account must have a usage limit equal to or higher than you have now.

Old July 19th 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news

In message ,
allnewtonyg writes
Hi,

I'm currently using Telewest however work are installing a BT line +
broadband into my house for me.

I'm concerned about how much i download and if I'll be capped on the
new BT BB line. However my question is can i have another BB supplier
and simply unplug my work BB and plug in my priviate BB using the one
line?

Each BB supplier has its own line. Therefore two suppliers means two
lines.

However, you could plug a router into one of the lines, and then plug
all your computers into the router. This way, all your computers talk to
the outside world over one BB line. Assuming this works, you can then
discontinue the other line.

--
Ian

Old July 19th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

allnewtonyg wrote:
I'm currently using Telewest however work are installing a BT line +
broadband into my house for me.

I'm concerned about how much i download and if I'll be capped on the new
BT BB line. However my question is can i have another BB supplier and
simply unplug my work BB and plug in my priviate BB using the one line?

The problem is the upside-down way in which ADSL broadband is sold in this
country. The ISP 'owns' the broadband connection, not you.

When your line is connected to Brand-X internet, BT set what is called 'Service
Selection Barring' on your line, which prevents you from using the line to
connect to Brand-Y internet, even if you have an account with them elsewhere
which you are not using.

This, of course, makes any form of broadband failover/backup impossible on a
single line.

Thus there are only political/commercial reasons, and no technical reason why
you cannot disconnect your ATM session to Brand-X, and set up a second session
to Brand-Y. It is, with suitable kit, be possible to set up multiple
PPP-over-ATM sessions at the same time on the same line.

Shame that the current business model does not allow this.

Shame also, that once you cease being a customer of Brand-X, if their
spitefulness or downright incompetence does not release their 'tag' from your
line, you cannot sign up with anyone else, short of ceasing the BT line
altogether (and even then, it doesn't always work..)

One of our guys is currently moving home. The house he is moving to already has
ADSL service. The people moving out are taking their service with them, and
also taking their telephone number with them. If you thought changing service
provider was difficult, try this situation. BT have given him the number that
the new line 'will be'. We tried to order ADSL on that line, which was rejected
because the number is out-of-service. This was despite the ISP being told this,
and saying that they could sort it out with BT. BT have since 'withdrawn' that
number, saying that they cannot guarantee that the number will be correct.

All of this is happening in India, which is slightly too far to travel to
strangle the idiot responsible for the situation we find ourselves in.
Old July 19th 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:02:22 +0100, "Gizmo" wrote:

"allnewtonyg" wrote in message
o.uk...
You could always tell your employer that you use a lot of bandwidth, so the
BT account must have a usage limit equal to or higher than you have now.

If they have ordered BT Business Broadband then there are no usage
limits.
Old July 19th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaxtraw

Jim Howes wrote:
allnewtonyg wrote:
[...]

I had a hellish time last spring with something similar, moving my Plusnet
account from the line in the flat I was moving out of to a new line due to
be installed at my new home. Repeated attempts to get the ADSL ordered for
the changeover failed, because the BT database kept showing the new number
at its old address. I spent hours on the phone with Plusnet, getting
different answers every time, and ended up paying, but not having a
connection, for nearly two months. I begged them to call BT wholesale, but
they refused because "we have this procedure" and I kept pointing out that
it wasn't going to work this time if it didn't work last time, but they did
it anyway, and it failed again. And again. It was a total shambles.

My favourite answers included "the guy who deals with this is on holiday" so
when I asked them why somebody else couldn't phone BT wholesale, I was told
"he's taken his phone numbers on holiday with him". Talking to a supervisor
achieved nothing since the supervisor didn't seem to know anything at all.
To be fair, the Plusnet support bod had said that the supervisor didn't know
anything, so fair dos on that. Eventually one of the Plusnet "well known
names" took the thing in hand and got me connected, apologised, and even
admitted, yes, they should have just phoned BT Wholesale. He also promised
me a refund for the weeks sans connection. I never got it.

Anyway, ranting again. I think it's fair to say tho that unless things have
improved since then, the whole ordering system is a complete shambles.
What's particularly infuriating is that the customer (i.e. me) isn't allowed
to talk to the actual provider (BT wholesale) and is stuck ranting at
support bods at the ISP (who are, after all, just resellers of BT
connectivity, truth be told, they no longer actually provide internet
service, any more than your local electricity company actually supply
electricity) and thus one is totally stymied.

I'm dreading moving again.

Ian

--
www.jaxtrawstudios.com
science fiction comics with shagging in

Old July 19th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Steve Pearce" * wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:02:22 +0100, "Gizmo" wrote:

"allnewtonyg" wrote in message
. co.uk...
You could always tell your employer that you use a lot of bandwidth, so
the
BT account must have a usage limit equal to or higher than you have now.

If they have ordered BT Business Broadband then there are no usage
limits.

A good point. However, they could have just paid the broadband part of the
Telewest account - which also has no limits, and would probably have been
cheaper than BT Business [1]

[1] Bit of an assumption as I dont know off the top of my head how much BT
Business Broadband costs. I guess it varies depending on the contention
ratio you plump for / SLA etc

Old July 20th 06, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Jaxtraw wrote:
Anyway, ranting again. I think it's fair to say tho that unless things have
improved since then, the whole ordering system is a complete shambles.
What's particularly infuriating is that the customer (i.e. me) isn't allowed
to talk to the actual provider (BT wholesale)

Note the word "wholesale" there. You are not buying a wholesale product
from BT wholesale, so they will not deal with you.

and is stuck ranting at
support bods at the ISP (who are, after all, just resellers of BT
connectivity, truth be told, they no longer actually provide internet
service, any more than your local electricity company actually supply
electricity) and thus one is totally stymied.

Not true - BT provide the backhaul from your premises to the ISPs
equipment, but that is only part of the equation - BT do not provide the
entire service (unless you are talking about BT Retail/CentralPlus).