VOIP Router Advice Required

Old July 19th 06, 02:25 PM
Marv Marv is offline
Junior Member

Smile VOIP Router Advice Required

I am currently using the Sipgate VOIP service via my NTL broadband connection and very regularly find that my telephone conversations get cut-off at random intervals. After which I am unable to get a dialing tone until I reset my router (i.e. turn it off & on).

This is leading me to think that it is my router that is at fault. It is a Linksys BEFSR41 model.

Would I be better off replacing it with a router that has dedicated VOIP facilities and if so which one would you advise? Not keen on the Netgear TA612V as it ties you in to Sipgate, would the Zoom X5 (5565) be any good?
Old July 19th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default VOIP Router Advice Required

I suspect the router cant handle the voip traffic..
I dont believe this router has QOS to manage voip calls.
I recently disposed of my Netgear wireless 108mb router and replaced
with a Draytel V2800VG (108Mb) wireless router with 2 voip slots. I
have one standard analog phone connected to the router, one dect phone
and I also use a starcom wireless phone to connect. The quality is
astounding where by I cant tell the difference between a BT line and my
voip lines. It also means I have two business numbers in the house.
I am using voipcheap and draytel for my router and they both work fine.

The QOS on the router ensures the calls never cut out or degrade.

QoS - Quality of Service. An ability (usually when talking about
Routers) to give priority to particular types of Internet Traffic. eg
VoIP where you don't want the bandwidth being chewed up by another
application which might adversely affect the phone call quality.

Regards

--
Marv

Old July 19th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Marv" wrote in message

I am currently using the Sipgate VOIP service via my NTL
broadband connection and very regularly find that my
telephone conversations get cut-off at random intervals.
After which I am unable to get a dialing tone until I
reset my router (i.e. turn it off & on).

This is leading me to think that it is my router that is
at fault. It is a Linksys BEFSR41 model.

Would I be better off replacing it with a router that has
dedicated VOIP facilities and if so which one would you
advise? Not keen on the Netgear TA612V as it ties you in
to Sipgate, would the Zoom X5 (5565) be any good?

I don't know the Zoom model, but I use the AVM Fritz!Box Fon which I got
from Sipgate. I use the non-wireless version, but there are a couple of
them now which have wireless built in as well.

Mine has two phone ports but the beauty of this particular unit is that it
can accommodate up to 10 SIP accounts, which can be made to ring either or
both phones. You dial a prefix if you want to dial out on an account other
than the first two.

It is desiged for ADSL and so has a built in ADSL modem, but I believe
this can be disabled with the latest firmware if you want to use it with a
cable modem. If this is the case, then I recommend the WLAN 7050 model as
this has 2 Ethernet ports.

More info at www.avm.de/en

Ivor

Old July 19th 06, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Mamma

Marv wrote:
I am currently using the Sipgate VOIP service via my NTL broadband
connection and very regularly find that my telephone conversations get
cut-off at random intervals. After which I am unable to get a dialing
tone until I reset my router (i.e. turn it off & on).

This is leading me to think that it is my router that is at fault. It
is a Linksys BEFSR41 model.

Would I be better off replacing it with a router that has dedicated
VOIP facilities and if so which one would you advise? Not keen on the
Netgear TA612V as it ties you in to Sipgate, would the Zoom X5 (5565)
be any good?

I tried one of these routers ages ago, was awful and voip kept cutting
out after about 15 or 20 mins. I now have a WRT54GS (not the newer
model) and it works fine.
Old July 19th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alex

Marv wrote:
I am currently using the Sipgate VOIP service via my NTL broadban
connection and very regularly find that my telephone conversations ge
cut-off at random intervals. After which I am unable to get a dialin
tone until I reset my router (i.e. turn it off & on).

This is leading me to think that it is my router that is at fault. I
is a Linksys BEFSR41 model.

Would I be better off replacing it with a router that has dedicate
VOIP facilities and if so which one would you advise? Not keen on th
Netgear TA612V as it ties you in to Sipgate, would the Zoom X5 (5565
be any good

The AVM kit is where it's at.

http://www.voiptalk.org/FritzBox

They're very nice devices and the setup is pretty straight forward. Of
course, I might be slightly biased now we're a disti for them :-p but
they really are ace.

Alex
Old July 20th 06, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"alex" wrote in message

Marv wrote:
I am currently using the Sipgate VOIP service via my
NTL broadban connection and very regularly find that my
telephone conversations ge cut-off at random intervals.
After which I am unable to get a dialin tone until I
reset my router (i.e. turn it off & on).

This is leading me to think that it is my router that
is at fault. I is a Linksys BEFSR41 model.

Would I be better off replacing it with a router that
has dedicate VOIP facilities and if so which one would
you advise? Not keen on th Netgear TA612V as it ties
you in to Sipgate, would the Zoom X5 (5565 be any good

The AVM kit is where it's at.

http://www.voiptalk.org/FritzBox

They're very nice devices and the setup is pretty
straight forward. Of course, I might be slightly biased
now we're a disti for them :-p but they really are ace.

Alex

Couldn't agree more, notice you've got the plain ATA version as well,
useful for cable users, Sipgate have never sold that in the UK for some
strange reason.

I've been using the ADSL non-wireless version for over a year now and
can't fault it, except the codes for selecting an additional account (not
one of the first two) aren't clearly documented and also seem to require
an additional # to get a dial tone. I also get a German dial tone and ring
tone, that doesn't seem to have been addressed in the latest firmware,
even though UK is selected.

I'd also like to see a Sipura style config page where these things can be
changed, but I'm nit-picking really, it's a great device.

Ivor

Old July 20th 06, 02:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Zyxel 2602HW is ADSL2+, WiFi, 2x VoIP modem router and has got the QoS
facility.
It uses the latest TI chipset and the ADSL sensitivity and performance is
excellent.
As it happens I have one new, boxed for sale (the WiFi doesn't work in my
house).
Retails at £155, open to reasonable offers.
Regards,
Martin at gsoft dot freeserve dot co dot uk

Old July 20th 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mattpark

I dont think any of the netgear range of routers have QoS, unless you
move in to the business devices.

Old July 20th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"mattpark" wrote
in message
I dont think any of the netgear range of routers have
QoS, unless you move in to the business devices.

All the AVM range do. The wireless ones are also AFAIK the only ones to
come shipped with wireless security set to on, although I seem to remember
someone else is now doing this, but not sure if/who.

Ivor