Should I pay bad ISP?

Old July 20th 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,alt.internet.providers.uk,misc.consumers,uk.telecom.broadband
Dombey

Default Should I pay bad ISP?

Hello,

I recently needed to get broadband. I called a small popular DSL
provider and they said they would set it up for me within ten working
days.

Nearly six weeks later they told me they had finally set it up. By that
time I had got cable broadband instead. I thought I'd try and see if I
could get DSL working as backup but it didn't work. So I called them
and told them to cancel.

They agreed to cancel, but insisted that I pay them the setup fee and
for the couple of days (they claimed) the line had been active. I
explained why I thought that was unreasonable. They said it wasn't
their fault it had taken so long to set up because my line already had
a marker on it from a previous occupant's ISP. They said they had
already paid BT so I should pay them.

So my question is: should I pay this DSL provider. What are the risks
of not paying them?

Dombey

Old July 20th 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,alt.internet.providers.uk,misc.consumers,uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Dombey" wrote in message
ups.com
Hello,

I recently needed to get broadband. I called a small
popular DSL provider and they said they would set it up
for me within ten working days.

Nearly six weeks later they told me they had finally set
it up. By that time I had got cable broadband instead. I
thought I'd try and see if I could get DSL working as
backup but it didn't work. So I called them and told them
to cancel.

Why did you get cable set up while you were still waiting for the original
order to be put through..? Granted, they took longer than the 10 days they
quoted, but you should have taken it up with them at the time rather than
ordering a second product from elsewhere.

They agreed to cancel, but insisted that I pay them the
setup fee and for the couple of days (they claimed) the
line had been active. I explained why I thought that was
unreasonable. They said it wasn't their fault it had
taken so long to set up because my line already had a
marker on it from a previous occupant's ISP. They said
they had already paid BT so I should pay them.

Correct.

So my question is: should I pay this DSL provider. What
are the risks of not paying them?

It will almost certainly affect your credit rating, which may come back to
haunt you if you ever need credit maybe several years from now. You should
have cancelled one order before placing the second.

I may be wrong (I'm not a lawyer) but from where I see it you're stuffed.

Ivor

Old July 20th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,alt.internet.providers.uk,misc.consumers,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Jay

In message , Ivor Jones
writes
"Dombey" wrote in message
oups.com
I recently needed to get broadband. I called a small
popular DSL provider and they said they would set it up
for me within ten working days.

Nearly six weeks later they told me they had finally set
it up. By that time I had got cable broadband instead. I
thought I'd try and see if I could get DSL working as
backup but it didn't work. So I called them and told them
to cancel.

Why did you get cable set up while you were still waiting for the original
order to be put through..? Granted, they took longer than the 10 days they
quoted, but you should have taken it up with them at the time rather than
ordering a second product from elsewhere.

Seems like poor communication on both sides. "Dombey" should have
contacted them to find out what the delay was, and the DSL provider
should have kept him up to date with the progress of his order.

So my question is: should I pay this DSL provider. What
are the risks of not paying them?

It will almost certainly affect your credit rating, which may come back to
haunt you if you ever need credit maybe several years from now. You should
have cancelled one order before placing the second.

I think it would depend on whether the DSL provider exchanges details
with the credit reference agencies. I suspect most (if not all) don't.

Of course the DSL provider could always take the matter to court.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
Old July 20th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,alt.internet.providers.uk,misc.consumers,uk.telecom.broadband
jim

On 20 Jul 2006 09:44:03 -0700, "Dombey" wrote:

[...]

I would have thought it would have been safer to cancel the adsl
service BEFORE taking the cable service in addition

jim
Old July 20th 06, 07:17 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,alt.internet.providers.uk,misc.consumers,uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

"Dombey" wrote in message
[...]

In my humble opinion - you owe them the money and are lucky that they don't
claim for a full contract.

Old July 20th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,alt.internet.providers.uk,misc.consumers,uk.telecom.broadband
Krustov

alt.internet.providers.uk
jim
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:04:04 +0100

I would have thought it would have been safer to cancel the adsl
service BEFORE taking the cable service in addition

Or cancel the same day cable broadband had been signed up for .

--
Encrypted email address
www.emailuser.co.uk/?name=KRUSTOV
Old July 20th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,alt.internet.providers.uk,misc.consumers,uk.telecom.broadband
Krustov

alt.internet.providers.uk
Dombey
20 Jul 2006 09:44:03 -0700
. com

I recently needed to get broadband. I called a small popular DSL
provider and they said they would set it up for me within ten working
days.

Nearly six weeks later they told me they had finally set it up. By that
time I had got cable broadband instead. I thought I'd try and see if I
could get DSL working as backup but it didn't work. So I called them
and told them to cancel.

Your little experiment didnt work - so you dont want to pay for it ? .

They arnt a bad ISP its you who is the bad scientist .

- did you do any research to try and find out if it would work

- did you even ask anybody if they thought it would work

Old July 20th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,alt.internet.providers.uk,misc.consumers,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike T.

Why did you get cable set up while you were still waiting for the original
order to be put through..? Granted, they took longer than the 10 days they
quoted, but you should have taken it up with them at the time rather than
ordering a second product from elsewhere.

I take it you've never had broadband. Once you've had it, if you have to go
without it, even for a day or two, it feels like a severe hardship. I would
have done the same. Gone for DSL first. If there was a significant delay,
order cable modem. But don't cancel DSL, see who gets the house wired first
and stick with that. -Dave

Old July 20th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,alt.internet.providers.uk,misc.consumers,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike T.

I would have thought it would have been safer to cancel the adsl
service BEFORE taking the cable service in addition

jim

Not safe at all. There is no guarantee that cable modem will work, even if
you live in an area that is served, until AFTER the cable modem is
installed, and verified to be working. Considering that DSL sometimes takes
several weeks to install, it's stupid to cancel an ADSL order on the
supposition that you might have cable modem service soon. If cable modem
doesn't work out, you've just shot yourself in the foot. -Dave

Old July 20th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.people.consumers,alt.internet.providers.uk,misc.consumers,uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"jim" wrote in message
[...]

Think you need to read the small print of whatever T&C's you signed up for,
they would state any kind of cooling off period \ when the agreement becomes
binding... The T&C's will advise re any credit reference risk...

as for charges, ask them to supply an invoice,along with the invoice they
have paid..