A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Asterisk Hardware



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 20th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20
Default Asterisk Hardware

Any pointers to cheap FXS/FXO hardware for an Asterisk system? I'm
basically after something for home use (i.e. playing and learning) that
can handle a couple of incoming PSTN lines and four extensions. I assume
that for VoIP lines I just need my existing broadband and ethernet
harwdare. Digium stuff seems expensive even on eBay, at least when I've
looked, so pointers to other manufacturers would be welcome.
--
Dave
mail da (without the space)
http://www.llondel.org
So many gadgets, so little time
  #2  
Old July 20th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 64
Default Asterisk Hardware


"Dave {Reply Address In.sig}" wrote in message
...
Any pointers to cheap FXS/FXO hardware for an Asterisk system? I'm
basically after something for home use (i.e. playing and learning) that
can handle a couple of incoming PSTN lines and four extensions. I assume
that for VoIP lines I just need my existing broadband and ethernet
harwdare. Digium stuff seems expensive even on eBay, at least when I've
looked, so pointers to other manufacturers would be welcome.
--
Dave
mail da (without the space)
http://www.llondel.org
So many gadgets, so little time


Is it definitely ZAP you're wanting to use?

I use a couple of Linksys/Sipura SPA3000s to do what you want.

The non-Digium cards are OK for test purposes - they're crap in use though.


  #3  
Old July 20th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 254
Default Asterisk Hardware

Jono wrote:
"Dave {Reply Address In.sig}" wrote in message
...
Any pointers to cheap FXS/FXO hardware for an Asterisk system? I'm
basically after something for home use (i.e. playing and learning) that
can handle a couple of incoming PSTN lines and four extensions. I assume
that for VoIP lines I just need my existing broadband and ethernet
harwdare. Digium stuff seems expensive even on eBay, at least when I've
looked, so pointers to other manufacturers would be welcome.


Is it definitely ZAP you're wanting to use?

I use a couple of Linksys/Sipura SPA3000s to do what you want.

The non-Digium cards are OK for test purposes - they're crap in use though.

That's hardly fair, the TDM400 is hardly the best linecard for it's range.

Although it would be fair to say that they are competatively priced.

It's probably fair to say that for the extensions, you could get 4 IP
phones cheaper than a 4 port FXS TDM card (or if you use analogue
hardware, a 4 FXS port ATA like the atcom AG-468).

Also worth noting that, configuring Voip origination/termination is a
lot simpler than any linecard ime.
  #4  
Old July 20th 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 124
Default Asterisk Hardware

In article ,
Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
Any pointers to cheap FXS/FXO hardware for an Asterisk system? I'm
basically after something for home use (i.e. playing and learning) that
can handle a couple of incoming PSTN lines and four extensions. I assume
that for VoIP lines I just need my existing broadband and ethernet
harwdare. Digium stuff seems expensive even on eBay, at least when I've
looked, so pointers to other manufacturers would be welcome.


I've bought these:

http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Ast...nterface+Cards

but you're right - not cheap, but for testing use when you only want 1
analog input, then prices start at 85 plus vat.

For the extensions, are they analog phones? If so, you might be better
of with ATA units. eg.

http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Analogue+VoIP+Adaptors

And yes, for testing stuff, you just need your LAN and ethernet
hardware. Don't even need broadband unless you're calling your mates, etc.

At the most basic level, all you need is just one TDM400 card
with the right module, and a soft phone to run on your PC, then you can
make/get calls via the soft phone via IP and asterisk, to & from the
PSTN, or grab a SIP account with one of the many providers then plumb
that into asterisk - sipgate provide instructions, but no-doubt the
others do too. (And if you went down the external SIP route to eg,
sipgate, then you don't even need the tdm400 card if you want to start
fiddling with asterisk at that level)

If you want to plug your 4 analogue phones into an asterisk box directly,
then you'll need 2 tdm400 cards - one to handle the 2 incoming analogue
lines and one to handle the 4 analogue phones, but you might find ATAs
work out cheaper than FXS modules and a 2nd TDM400 card...

Or just throw away the analog phones and get cheap IP ones - for
experimenting, I use the grandstream 100 ones at about 60 quid each,
and they work a treat. (Watch out for the Ethernet pass-through port
though - it's only got a 10Mb hub inside it, so if you want to do heavy
duty network traffic on your local LAN, don't use the pass-through port,
but wire them directly to your ethernet switch)

Gordon
  #5  
Old July 20th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20
Default Asterisk Hardware

Jono wrote:
"Dave {Reply Address In.sig}" wrote in message
...
Any pointers to cheap FXS/FXO hardware for an Asterisk system? I'm
basically after something for home use (i.e. playing and learning) that
can handle a couple of incoming PSTN lines and four extensions. I assume
that for VoIP lines I just need my existing broadband and ethernet
harwdare. Digium stuff seems expensive even on eBay, at least when I've
looked, so pointers to other manufacturers would be welcome.


Is it definitely ZAP you're wanting to use?

I use a couple of Linksys/Sipura SPA3000s to do what you want.

The non-Digium cards are OK for test purposes - they're crap in use though.

It's as much for the learning experience of playing with Asterisk - I
used to do PBX design fifteen years ago (when it all had to be BABT
approved and DASS2 was still preferred for ISDN30) so I'm interested to
see what's changed since then. I have an SPA1001 feeding my old analogue
PBX but I want to play with something I can customise easily, hence
looking to the Asterisk approach.

--
Dave
mail da (without the space)
http://www.llondel.org
So many gadgets, so little time
  #6  
Old July 20th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 151
Default Asterisk Hardware

Thomas Kenyon presented the following explanation :
Jono wrote:



The non-Digium cards are OK for test purposes - they're crap in use though.

That's hardly fair, the TDM400 is hardly the best linecard for it's range.


True. I had thought I'd said "some non-Digium cards are crap"


  #7  
Old July 20th 06, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 151
Default Asterisk Hardware

Dave {Reply Address In.sig} presented the following explanation :
Gordon Henderson wrote:

If you want to plug your 4 analogue phones into an asterisk box directly,
then you'll need 2 tdm400 cards - one to handle the 2 incoming analogue
lines and one to handle the 4 analogue phones, but you might find ATAs
work out cheaper than FXS modules and a 2nd TDM400 card...

Ah, now the lightbulbs are coming on. I hadn't thought of using an ATA
in the context of getting it to talk to the Asterix box rather than the
outside world. (Apologies to Jono if that's what he meant by using a
couple of SPA3000 units elsewhere in the thread). I'd automatically
assumed that the PBX had to have everything in it - I blame the hot weather.


No probs. The SPA3K is a really incredible piece of kit. If it lacks
anything it's the fact that calls on the regular PSTN line are a little
on the quiet side. Not sure if this has been fixed in the latest
incarnation - SPA3102(?)

You would also gain an extension off your Asterisk server for each
SPA3K you add.


  #8  
Old July 20th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20
Default Asterisk Hardware

Jono wrote:
Dave {Reply Address In.sig} presented the following explanation :
Gordon Henderson wrote:
If you want to plug your 4 analogue phones into an asterisk box directly,
then you'll need 2 tdm400 cards - one to handle the 2 incoming analogue
lines and one to handle the 4 analogue phones, but you might find ATAs
work out cheaper than FXS modules and a 2nd TDM400 card...

Ah, now the lightbulbs are coming on. I hadn't thought of using an ATA
in the context of getting it to talk to the Asterix box rather than the
outside world. (Apologies to Jono if that's what he meant by using a
couple of SPA3000 units elsewhere in the thread). I'd automatically
assumed that the PBX had to have everything in it - I blame the hot weather.


No probs. The SPA3K is a really incredible piece of kit. If it lacks
anything it's the fact that calls on the regular PSTN line are a little
on the quiet side. Not sure if this has been fixed in the latest
incarnation - SPA3102(?)

You would also gain an extension off your Asterisk server for each
SPA3K you add.

Yes, having been clued in, I can see that a couple of SPA3102s (might as
well buy the newest version) and an SPA2002 would give me the ports I
need. I assume the SPA3K in the event of power fail will just connect
the analogue ports together for an emergency phone?

--
Dave
mail da (without the space)
http://www.llondel.org
So many gadgets, so little time
  #9  
Old July 20th 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 151
Default Asterisk Hardware

Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote :
I assume the SPA3K in the event of power fail will just connect
the analogue ports together for an emergency phone?


It will. It has an internal relay that connects the analogue phone
plugged into the Line 1 VoIP port directly to the PSTN.

What it doesn't do (at least the SPA3K doesn't) is perform the same on
an IP failure.


  #10  
Old July 27th 06, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
B. Wright
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 34
Default Asterisk Hardware

Jono wrote:
Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote :
I assume the SPA3K in the event of power fail will just connect
the analogue ports together for an emergency phone?


It will. It has an internal relay that connects the analogue phone
plugged into the Line 1 VoIP port directly to the PSTN.


What it doesn't do (at least the SPA3K doesn't) is perform the same on
an IP failure.


I don't think that's true, maybe you have some really old
firmware (mine only has 2.0.13(GWg) but has the ability to do it). That's
what this option is for:

VoIP Fallback To PSTN
Auto PSTN Fallback:

Sometimes it's a good idea to specifically disable this unless
you want a big surprise on your phone bill (i.e. SIP provider fails
registration and you're dialing out on the PSTN without realizing it)

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asterisk Compatible Hardware asterisk uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 April 13th 06 12:47 PM
Hardware setup PL uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 1 March 27th 06 03:11 PM
Asterisk and Hardware Stephane M uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 4 September 28th 05 11:17 PM
usr hardware? Tweetie Pooh uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 September 8th 03 09:59 PM
What hardware for this? PhilM uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 July 28th 03 12:24 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2020 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.