sick and tired of BT - what's the best alternative

Old July 20th 06, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Solario

Default sick and tired of BT - what's the best alternative

brian wrote:
I'm someone who only makes local calls in the daytime, and calls
friends at the other end of the country only in the evenings (maybe
three times a week, but sometimes the calls last over an hour).

I only made about 15 such long-distance calls last quarter, and always
in the evening or on a weekend evening, and yet my bill was 67. I've
tried going on their Light User Scheme, but you'd have to be a Trappist
monk to keep below their limit (in only three weeks I've racked up
nearly 7, and I've only made one long-distance call, lasting twenty
minutes, and that was in the evening).

I think BT have got it all arranged that you can *never* have a small
bill, however hard you try. Add to this the fact that when I have a
query, I wind up talking to someone in India and we can't make
ourselves understood to each other, and I'm just completely fed up with
BT.

How do others here feel about BT ? And given my 'profile', is there a
better alternative for me?

If you have broadband chedk out VoIP. It works well for me. See
usenet group uk.telecom.voip.

Old July 20th 06, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 20 Jul 2006 11:31:41 -0700, "Solario"
wrote:

brian wrote:
[...]

This post is on uk.telecom and uk.telecom.voip as, currently, it
features both PSTN and VOIP.
2 solutions:-
1. Use www.call1899.co.uk and www.call18185.co.uk
perhaps with the aid of a dialler box such as the V4 from
http://www.orchid-electronics.com

2. Go for Voip. If you can get cable go for a broadband only
connection without phone line. If not stick to BT and a broadband
connection of your choice.
Buy an ATA (perhaps an SPA-3000) Use it with one of the Finarea
companies such as www.sipdiscount.com. Unless it has changed recently
you shell out a minimum of Euro10 every 120 days. You get 300 mins of
calls per week to these countries

Austria
Canada
Denmark
Finland
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
USA (+mobile)

and spend your Euro10 on calls that aren't free.
Alternatively go for voip.co.uk. 2/month for free UK calls off
peak(up to 1 hour) but 2p/call (up to 1 hour) in peak.

On VOIP you can have several providers if you wish. The SPA-3000
allows for 5 VSPs.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 20th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Martin Jay

In message . com,
Solario writes
If you have broadband chedk out VoIP. It works well for me. See
usenet group uk.telecom.voip.

VOIP to VOIP is great and very cheap, well it's free. But the cost of
calling ordinary telephone numbers is nothing special and can usually be
beaten by comapanies such as 1899.

Having said that, http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/ is difficult to beat for
several destinations throughout the world.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877