SIP and Skype in one unit

Old July 20th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Yaz

Default SIP and Skype in one unit

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...OIP-P1&cat=CON

The above page shows a unit that is skype and SIP compliant. Does anyone
know if anything close to this is aavailable in the UK? It would be perfect
to have a unit that is SIP/H323 as well as Skype compatible.

Old July 21st 06, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Yaz" wrote in message

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...OIP-P1&cat=CON

The above page shows a unit that is skype and SIP
compliant. Does anyone know if anything close to this is
aavailable in the UK? It would be perfect to have a unit
that is SIP/H323 as well as Skype compatible.

I can't see any reference to SIP on that page. It is a USB adaptor that
provides a phone port for use with Skype, where does it mention SIP..?
They specifically say that a Skype account is required.

Ivor

Old July 21st 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tom wildzeiss

Features/Specs says:
- VoIP standards (SIP, H.323) and third party soft phone compliant

Whatever "compliant" means in this context...

Old July 21st 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

tom wildzeiss wrote:
Features/Specs says:
- VoIP standards (SIP, H.323) and third party soft phone compliant

Whatever "compliant" means in this context...

It's just a USB adaptor which is aimed at being used with Skype but will
work with other soft phone clients. It just allows you to use an
analogue phone as a USB handset.

Cheers,
Paul.
Old July 21st 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"paul hayes" wrote in message

tom wildzeiss wrote:
Features/Specs says:
- VoIP standards (SIP, H.323) and third party soft
phone compliant Whatever "compliant" means in this context...

It's just a USB adaptor which is aimed at being used with
Skype but will work with other soft phone clients. It
just allows you to use an analogue phone as a USB handset.

Are you sure..? The site specifically says Skype account required:

a.. Product Requirements:
a.. Pentium 400 MHz processor or higher
a.. Windows 2000/XP
a.. 128 MB RAM
a.. 10 MB free hard disk space
a.. CD-ROM drive
a.. Available USB port
a.. Internet connection
a.. Skype Software (see link)

Note the last item.

Ivor

Old July 21st 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Ivor Jones wrote:
"paul hayes" wrote in message

tom wildzeiss wrote:
Features/Specs says:
- VoIP standards (SIP, H.323) and third party soft
phone compliant Whatever "compliant" means in this context...

It's just a USB adaptor which is aimed at being used with
Skype but will work with other soft phone clients. It
just allows you to use an analogue phone as a USB handset.

Are you sure..? The site specifically says Skype account required:

a.. Product Requirements:
a.. Pentium 400 MHz processor or higher
a.. Windows 2000/XP
a.. 128 MB RAM
a.. 10 MB free hard disk space
a.. CD-ROM drive
a.. Available USB port
a.. Internet connection
a.. Skype Software (see link)

Note the last item.

Ivor

well no, I'm not sure. Just going off the very vague description it
gives. It makes it sound like they think it should also be compatible
with some SIP soft-phones as well as Skype. Certainly sounds like it's
aimed more at Skype anyway. I'm not going to worry about it as I'd hate
to have a phone that requires me to have a PC with a gui running all day.

Cheers,
Paul.
Old July 21st 06, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news

In message , paul hayes
writes
I'm not going to worry about it as I'd hate to have a phone that
requires me to have a PC with a gui running all day.

You don't need a PC for Skype any mo

http://about.skype.com/2006/07/intro...s_first_w.html

--
Ian
Old July 21st 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"news" wrote in message

In message ,
paul hayes writes
I'm not going to worry about it as I'd hate to have a
phone that requires me to have a PC with a gui running
all day.

You don't need a PC for Skype any mo

http://about.skype.com/2006/07/intro...s_first_w.html

Well actually I think you can run it on some PDA's, but it's not what I
want from a system, i.e. a phone port that I can plug into my existing
PABX to make the number available to all extensions on the system.

Ivor

Old July 22nd 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-07-20, Yaz wrote:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...OIP-P1&cat=CON

The above page shows a unit that is skype and SIP compliant. Does
anyone know if anything close to this is aavailable in the UK? It
would be perfect to have a unit that is SIP/H323 as well as Skype
compatible.

A search on Ebay with 'skype gateway' should turn up an item labelled
TBP-8. It looks like perfection could be realised for a mere 28 GPB.

Brian.