NTL problem since STB - Modem swap

Old July 21st 06, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Resident Drunk

Default NTL problem since STB - Modem swap

Hi all,

Last weekend NTL 'upgraded' my service to the full 10mb and in doing so
added a cable modem in place of the STB.

I have a Netgear WPN824 router with various ports forwarded to PC's in the
home.

The outgoing connection seems fine but I also use VNC to connect to my PC's
frlom remote locations. Since the upgrade I am constantly getting connection
problems with VNC, I cannot get the remote management page working on the
router - recieving a 'The document contains no data' message.

I have updated the ip address in my dynamic dns details so I definitely have
the correct ip (it will connect around 1 time in 20) so does anyone have any
idea what could be the problem ?.

The modem came with no documentation at all.

TIA

Old July 21st 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"Resident Drunk" wrote in message
| Hi all,
|
| Last weekend NTL 'upgraded' my service to the full 10mb and in doing so
| added a cable modem in place of the STB.
|
| I have a Netgear WPN824 router with various ports forwarded to PC's in the
| home.
|
| The outgoing connection seems fine but I also use VNC to connect to my PC's
| frlom remote locations. Since the upgrade I am constantly getting connection
| problems with VNC, I cannot get the remote management page working on the
| router - recieving a 'The document contains no data' message.
|
| I have updated the ip address in my dynamic dns details so I definitely have
| the correct ip (it will connect around 1 time in 20) so does anyone have any
| idea what could be the problem ?.
|
| The modem came with no documentation at all.
|
| TIA

You normally 'log in' to NTL modems at 192.168.100.1 with username/password
'root' - I can't speak for the STB.
It's a pretty basic thing mind you with not alot to play with - just stats.
However, there is a log, which may be of use.

The outgoing connection is going to have a good known IP is it not, where as the
new 10 meg service may have a different IP from the past
thus connections coming in are looking in the wrong place if you like.

I take it you had the netgear working before on the STB. You may find more help
in the group: ntl.discussion.broadband.cm and at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/index.html

Old July 21st 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Resident Drunk

"Pier Danone" Pier wrote in message

"Resident Drunk" wrote in message
| Hi all,
|
| Last weekend NTL 'upgraded' my service to the full 10mb and in doing so
| added a cable modem in place of the STB.
|
| I have a Netgear WPN824 router with various ports forwarded to PC's in
the
| home.
|
| The outgoing connection seems fine but I also use VNC to connect to my
PC's
| frlom remote locations. Since the upgrade I am constantly getting
connection
| problems with VNC, I cannot get the remote management page working on
the
| router - recieving a 'The document contains no data' message.
|
| I have updated the ip address in my dynamic dns details so I definitely
have
| the correct ip (it will connect around 1 time in 20) so does anyone have
any
| idea what could be the problem ?.
|
| The modem came with no documentation at all.
|
| TIA

You normally 'log in' to NTL modems at 192.168.100.1 with
username/password
'root' - I can't speak for the STB.
It's a pretty basic thing mind you with not alot to play with - just
stats.
However, there is a log, which may be of use.

Thanks - I'll try that.

The outgoing connection is going to have a good known IP is it not, where
as the
new 10 meg service may have a different IP from the past
thus connections coming in are looking in the wrong place if you like.

The Netgear router updates the DynDNS service with any changes to the IP
address, therefore I am connecting using 'myname'.dyndns.com. Interestingly
I can connect with more success using SSH than I can using VNC - which may
be something to do with the bandwidth required.

I take it you had the netgear working before on the STB. You may find more
help
in the group: ntl.discussion.broadband.cm and at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/index.html

Thanks again.