Choice of printer - with affordable ink refills

Old July 21st 06, 11:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

Default Choice of printer - with affordable ink refills

I am looking for a printer for near photo quality and I came a cross a Canon
iP4200. However I can't seem to find any compatible refills for this
printer which surprised me considering availability for previous Canon
printers. I now understand this is down to Canon's change in stance with
moving away from having simple tanks and some having some IP or patent
preventing 3rd party sourcing of tanks.

I would like a printer to be near photo quality, and ideally be able to
print direct onto CDs. Also availability of cheap or compatible ink
cartridges would be desirable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old July 21st 06, 12:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

Fred wrote:

I am looking for a printer for near photo quality and I came a cross a
Canon
iP4200. However I can't seem to find any compatible refills for this
printer which surprised me considering availability for previous Canon
printers. I now understand this is down to Canon's change in stance with
moving away from having simple tanks and some having some IP or patent
preventing 3rd party sourcing of tanks.

I would like a printer to be near photo quality, and ideally be able to
print direct onto CDs. Also availability of cheap or compatible ink
cartridges would be desirable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you want to get the best print quality, only use original cartridges.
It's as simple as that.

I've used a number of Canon printers over the last 10 years or so and still
think they offer the best results overall for my needs. I've tried
refilling, and any number of compatibles. It is always obvious which prints
came from the originals!

If you need cheap photos your best bet is the High street. 6x4's can be had
for 10 pence. You won't get near that by printing at home.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old July 22nd 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

Fred on the Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:44:18 +0100 posted a message to which I
wish to reply with...

[...]

I am looking for a printer...

What does this have to do with "home-networking"?
Try comp.periphs.printers, or uk.comp.vendors
Old July 22nd 06, 05:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,uk.comp.home-networking
Ivor Jones

"Tx2" wrote in
message
Fred on the Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:44:18 +0100 posted a
message to which I wish to reply with...

[...]

I am looking for a printer...

What does this have to do with "home-networking"?
Try comp.periphs.printers, or uk.comp.vendors

Maybe he wants a printer that is easily networkable..? Some of the newer
ones come with built in print servers for connection to Ethernet
hubs/switches.

Ivor

Old July 23rd 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

Ivor Jones on the Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:37:50 +0100 posted a message to
which I wish to reply with...

Maybe he wants a printer that is easily networkable..? Some of the newer
ones come with built in print servers for connection to Ethernet
hubs/switches.

I suggest you re-read his post then - he is more concerned with the
consumables than he is anything else.
Old July 23rd 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Tx2" wrote in message
Fred on the Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:44:18 +0100 posted a message to which I
wish to reply with...

[...]

I am looking for a printer...

What does this have to do with "home-networking"?
Try comp.periphs.printers, or uk.comp.vendors

Thanks for the steer. "home-networking" is a group where I occasionally
post and lurk. In the past I have found "uk.comp.vendors" tends to be more
a complaints forum so I'm wasn't sure if it was any more relevant than
"home-networking".

Old July 24th 06, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Tx2" wrote in
message
Fred on the Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:44:18 +0100 posted a
message to which I wish to reply with...

[...]

I am looking for a printer...

What does this have to do with "home-networking"?
Try comp.periphs.printers, or uk.comp.vendors

Maybe he wants a printer that is easily networkable..? Some of the newer
ones come with built in print servers for connection to Ethernet
hubs/switches.

Ivor

Thanks for your support. Perhaps "home-networking" wasn't the most ideal
group. Having said that I'm not sure of a group where I might get some
sensible suggestions!

Old August 2nd 06, 02:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,uk.comp.home-networking

wrote in message
ups.com...

Fred wrote:
I am looking for a printer for near photo quality and I came a cross a
Canon
iP4200. However I can't seem to find any compatible refills for this
printer which surprised me considering availability for previous Canon
printers. I now understand this is down to Canon's change in stance with
moving away from having simple tanks and some having some IP or patent
preventing 3rd party sourcing of tanks.

Not quite, pritner manufacture make 70 percent of their profit selling
"ink" not the hardware -- printer is the bait -- ink is the web.

I was sort of aware of that, but also that there are printers that can take
compatible cartidges. It's more a question of finding out which ones!

I would like a printer to be near photo quality, and ideally be able to
print direct onto CDs. Also availability of cheap or compatible ink
cartridges would be desirable.

I would try a color laser printer, bit expensive, however can be
"refilled" through 3rd party. Although, you need to check which model
is "refill" free. Laser printer will give you more options then "ink"
printer. Also laser printers have been around since early 70s, another
word, technology is very mature, and near perfect.

I'm not so aware of the quality from colour laser printers. They are
affordable being around the 150-200. I see the toner cartidges are about
10 times the price of equivalent ink cartidges and seem to last 10 times as
long so presume the running costs are going to be similar.

Old August 2nd 06, 03:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,uk.comp.home-networking

Fred wrote:

I was sort of aware of that, but also that there are printers that can
take
compatible cartidges. It's more a question of finding out which ones!

Pretty much all currently made, and most older printers will be able to use
compatible cartridges. You will *not* get "near photo quality" when using
them however. Believe me - I've tried!

The only way of determining which printer works best with which brand of
compatible is trial and error. Even then quality differences between
different batches from the same supplier are enormous.

I would like a printer to be near photo quality, and ideally be able to
print direct onto CDs. Also availability of cheap or compatible ink
cartridges would be desirable.

I would try a color laser printer, bit expensive, however can be
"refilled" through 3rd party. Although, you need to check which model
is "refill" free. Laser printer will give you more options then "ink"
printer. Also laser printers have been around since early 70s, another
word, technology is very mature, and near perfect.

I'm not so aware of the quality from colour laser printers. They are
affordable being around the 150-200. I see the toner cartidges are about
10 times the price of equivalent ink cartidges and seem to last 10 times
as long so presume the running costs are going to be similar.

Colour lasers are great for business graphics. Even multi-thousand pound
ones are hopeless for photo printing.

If cost rather than convenience is important to you, it is better to get
your photos printed on the high street.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old August 16th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,uk.comp.home-networking

Don't look any further than the Epson Stylus Photo R220. This isn't near
photo quality, it IS photo quality. It prints direct to CD/DVD and the ink
(compatibles) is dirt cheap. I have used a number of these and the R200
(printing DVD sleeves and DVD's) and know people who also use them a lot.
Great printer! Cheap too.