AOL Broadband Silver

Old July 21st 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

Default AOL Broadband Silver

Hi

Anyone on AOL Broadband Silver is it any good?
Can I continue to use my email prog Agent and browser Firefox
Or do I have to use their software?
--

Martin

Old July 21st 06, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:06:16 +0100, Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com
wrote:

Hi

Anyone on AOL Broadband Silver is it any good?

Just fine

Can I continue to use my email prog Agent and browser Firefox

Yes

Or do I have to use their software?

No.

If you migrate from another provider, AFAIK you are not bound to a 12
months contract.

L.

[L.]
Old July 21st 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:06:16 +0100, wrote:

Hi

Anyone on AOL Broadband Silver is it any good?
Can I continue to use my email prog Agent and browser Firefox
Or do I have to use their software?

You certainly don't if you use a router.

DAve

Old July 21st 06, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

wrote:
Hi
Anyone on AOL Broadband Silver is it any good?

Just fine
Can I continue to use my email prog Agent and browser Firefox

Yes
Or do I have to use their software?

No.
If you migrate from another provider, AFAIK you are not bound to a 12
months contract.

I'm looking to migrate from Plusnet
How about newsgroups any good?
It states Unlimited time online, unlimited downloads,
does that mean I can get p2p ?
--

Martin

Old July 21st 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

wrote:
Hi
Anyone on AOL Broadband Silver is it any good?

Just fine
Can I continue to use my email prog Agent and browser Firefox

Yes
Or do I have to use their software?

No.
If you migrate from another provider, AFAIK you are not bound to a 12
months contract.

I'm looking to migrate from Plusnet
How about newsgroups any good?

No newsgroups on AOL. You need a third party newsserver such as GigaNews.

It states Unlimited time online, unlimited downloads,
does that mean I can get p2p ?

Absolutely, and the optional McAfee Personal Firewall which comes free with
AOL broadband works perfectly with every p2p application I've used so far.

(kim)

Old July 21st 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:56:54 +0100, gort wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:06:16 +0100, wrote:

Hi

Anyone on AOL Broadband Silver is it any good?
Can I continue to use my email prog Agent and browser Firefox
Or do I have to use their software?

You certainly don't if you use a router.

What would an AOL email address look like/consist of
--

Martin

Old July 21st 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:56:54 +0100, gort wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:06:16 +0100, wrote:

Hi

Anyone on AOL Broadband Silver is it any good?
Can I continue to use my email prog Agent and browser Firefox
Or do I have to use their software?

You certainly don't if you use a router.

What would an AOL email address look like/consist of
--

Martin

You will need to enter the following details:

Enter your email address in full: e.g.

Enter the 'Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server': as follows:
imap.uk.aol.com

Enter the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:' as follows: smtp.uk.aol.com

Old July 21st 06, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

wrote:
Hi
Anyone on AOL Broadband Silver is it any good?

Just fine
Can I continue to use my email prog Agent and browser Firefox

Yes
Or do I have to use their software?

No.
If you migrate from another provider, AFAIK you are not bound to a 12
months contract.

I'm looking to migrate from Plusnet

I did exactly the same

How about newsgroups any good?

Not provided. Get them from claranet: Claranews for 30 GBP/year

It states Unlimited time online, unlimited downloads,

Absolutely unlimited. They make money by people watching adverts on
their software. If it was limited they could not.

does that mean I can get p2p ?

Probably yes.

I'm sending you an email to what I believe is your email address for
some interesting information about migration. Do I need to remove
as well?

Lorenz

[L.]
Old July 21st 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"[L.]" wrote in message
| On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:11:28 +0100, Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com
| wrote:
|
| On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:24:28 +0100, "[L.]" wrote:
|
| On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:06:16 +0100, Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com
| wrote:
| Hi
| Anyone on AOL Broadband Silver is it any good?
| Just fine
| Can I continue to use my email prog Agent and browser Firefox
| Yes
| Or do I have to use their software?
| No.
| If you migrate from another provider, AFAIK you are not bound to a 12
| months contract.
|
| I'm looking to migrate from Plusnet
|
| I did exactly the same
|
| How about newsgroups any good?
|
| Not provided. Get them from claranet: Claranews for 30 GBP/year
|
| It states Unlimited time online, unlimited downloads,
|
| Absolutely unlimited. They make money by people watching adverts on
| their software. If it was limited they could not.

Mind you, this is crap" We have a retention time of approximately 3 days across
the binary news groups"

Old July 21st 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:45:14 +0100, "[L.]" wrote:

I'm sending you an email to what I believe is your email address for
some interesting information about migration. Do I need to remove
as well?

Lorenz
send it to martin AT mande DOT plus DOT com
--

Martin