Voip.co.uk - using with NTL

Old July 21st 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve in Herts

Default Voip.co.uk - using with NTL

Has anyone had any success using the voip.co.uk service in conjunction
with a NTL residential Internet account?

I am using a Grandstream HandyTone-486 ATA which connects ok to the
voip.co.uk SIP server. I am able to receive calls from PSTN lines but
when I try to call a telephone number, I hear the line ringing and
then when the person I am calling picks up their phone, the line
immediately drops. It has been like this ever since I signed up last
weekend.

I have heard only positive things so far about voip.co.uk on this and
other forums so am beginning to wonder if it is anything to do with my
NTL Internet connection. Does anyone know if NTL are blocking any
ports which could be causing my problem. Or could anyone suggest any
other possible causes?

Many thanks,

Steve
Old July 21st 06, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Steve in Herts" wrote in message
Has anyone had any success using the voip.co.uk service in conjunction
with a NTL residential Internet account?

I am using a Grandstream HandyTone-486 ATA which connects ok to the
voip.co.uk SIP server. I am able to receive calls from PSTN lines but
when I try to call a telephone number, I hear the line ringing and
then when the person I am calling picks up their phone, the line
immediately drops. It has been like this ever since I signed up last
weekend.

I have heard only positive things so far about voip.co.uk on this and
other forums so am beginning to wonder if it is anything to do with my
NTL Internet connection. Does anyone know if NTL are blocking any
ports which could be causing my problem. Or could anyone suggest any
other possible causes?

Many thanks,

Steve

What have voip.co.uk said in response to the ticket you've raised?

Old July 21st 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve in Herts

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:26:44 GMT, "Jono"
wrote:

"Steve in Herts" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It's still being investigated. Unfortunately their office hours
coincide with when I am at work during the day (and not at home where
my PC and ATA are located) so I am relying on support via email which
slows things, They have been quite responsive so far though and
always reply to emails promptly.

Steve
Old July 21st 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Wira One

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:09:24 +0000, Steve in Herts wrote:

Has anyone had any success using the voip.co.uk service in conjunction
with a NTL residential Internet account?

I'm on NTL broadband and I've no problem using sipgate and voipstunt for
my outgoing calls and NTL landline for incoming calls. Currently using
Linksys SPA3000 if that a matter.
Old July 25th 06, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ACDeag

Steve in Herts brought next idea :
Has anyone had any success using the voip.co.uk service in conjunction
with a NTL residential Internet account?

I am using a Grandstream HandyTone-486 ATA which connects ok to the
voip.co.uk SIP server. I am able to receive calls from PSTN lines but
when I try to call a telephone number, I hear the line ringing and
then when the person I am calling picks up their phone, the line
immediately drops. It has been like this ever since I signed up last
weekend.

I have heard only positive things so far about voip.co.uk on this and
other forums so am beginning to wonder if it is anything to do with my
NTL Internet connection. Does anyone know if NTL are blocking any
ports which could be causing my problem. Or could anyone suggest any
other possible causes?

Many thanks,

Steve

I use tem on Telewest with no issues, one thing I did have to do was
place my ATA in the DMZ on my router.

Old July 25th 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve in Herts

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:00:20 GMT, ACDeag
wrote:

[...]

Hi,

I'm not using a router, My Grandstream ATA is connected directly to
my cable modem,

What is "DMZ" out of interest?

Cheers

Steve
Old July 25th 06, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Steve in Herts formulated the question :

Hi,

I'm not using a router, My Grandstream ATA is connected directly to
my cable modem,

What is "DMZ" out of interest?

Cheers

Steve

Your ATA has a router built in http://www.grandstream.com/y-ht486.htm

DMZ is "De-militarized Zone". In your case, no use looking at DMZ as
your ATA is already in the best position in your network.

Have you tried any alternative service providers? If you set yourself
up with a well known free provider, you could establish (for the most
part) where your problem may lie - ring a freephone number to check
outbound & call yourself on the geo number to test inbound.

Old July 25th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Steve in Herts:
wrote:

[...]

Demilitarized Zone

The DMZ feature allows you to forward all incoming ports to one
device/PC.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old July 26th 06, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Pawson

Steve in Herts wrote:
Has anyone had any success using the voip.co.uk service in conjunction
with a NTL residential Internet account?

I am using a Grandstream HandyTone-486 ATA which connects ok to the
voip.co.uk SIP server. I am able to receive calls from PSTN lines but
when I try to call a telephone number, I hear the line ringing and
then when the person I am calling picks up their phone, the line
immediately drops. It has been like this ever since I signed up last
weekend.

I have heard only positive things so far about voip.co.uk on this and
other forums so am beginning to wonder if it is anything to do with my
NTL Internet connection. Does anyone know if NTL are blocking any
ports which could be causing my problem. Or could anyone suggest any
other possible causes?

Many thanks,

Steve

Just got a SPA3000 and that works fine on NTL to voipstunt. Now having
great fun playing the the dial plans.......
Old July 26th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve in Herts

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:49:12 +0100, Jono
wrote:

Steve in Herts formulated the question :

Hi,

I'm not using a router, My Grandstream ATA is connected directly to
my cable modem,

What is "DMZ" out of interest?

Cheers

Steve

Your ATA has a router built in http://www.grandstream.com/y-ht486.htm

DMZ is "De-militarized Zone". In your case, no use looking at DMZ as
your ATA is already in the best position in your network.

Have you tried any alternative service providers? If you set yourself
up with a well known free provider, you could establish (for the most
part) where your problem may lie - ring a freephone number to check
outbound & call yourself on the geo number to test inbound.

Hello,

Yes, as an experiment, I tried using voipcheap with my ATA and I was
able to place an outgoing call successfully. With voip.co.uk I can
only receive calls. When I make an outgoing call with voip.co.uk, the
connection drops almost immediately as soon as the perosn being called
answers their phone, every time without exception so far.

After 10 days from signing up, I am still trying to get them to sort
out this problem and they have yet to offer a solution (if one
exists).

Steve