Orange/Livebox question(S)

Old July 22nd 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hollywood

Default Orange/Livebox question(S)

This being my first time back to UK since before Live Box was available,
I am now sitting here with also my first "ADSL" connection(in the past
it was cable).

Before I run any 'guess tests,' I wanted to know if the Live Box serves
as a proper 802.11 wireless router or???

I am to understand UK ADSL does not use PPPOE?

I have been able to get the included wireless USB adapter to work fine
on notebooks.

Soon I will be attempting to connect other external devices such as
gaming consoles and ADHOC structure for multiple printers, scanners
etc.

Orange says in order to use external ethernet hardware you need an ADSL
modem/router in addition to the Live Box.

I do not see how you could use both the Orange service AND a third
party ADSL modem simultaneously, nor what the purpose would be.

I attempted to inquire about it with them (of course no response) if
they meant to actually say a "broadband router" instead.

Will a generic broadband router work, or will the Live Box serve as an
appropriate one itself?

Holly

--
Hollywood
Old July 22nd 06, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Hollywood wrote:
This being my first time back to UK since before Live Box was available,
I am now sitting here with also my first "ADSL" connection(in the past
it was cable).

Before I run any 'guess tests,' I wanted to know if the Live Box serves
as a proper 802.11 wireless router or???

Yes it does. I think you might need to hold one of the touch buttons to
allow intial wireless connections.

I am to understand UK ADSL does not use PPPOE?

Uk is primarily PPOA, with aol on PPOE, but that said i have found that many
isps will allow a ppoe login (orange is one of them).

I have been able to get the included wireless USB adapter to work fine
on notebooks.

Soon I will be attempting to connect other external devices such as
gaming consoles and ADHOC structure for multiple printers, scanners
etc.

Orange says in order to use external ethernet hardware you need an ADSL
modem/router in addition to the Live Box.

Nah, just need a simple switch. I cant quite see the point of single port
routers.

I do not see how you could use both the Orange service AND a third
party ADSL modem simultaneously, nor what the purpose would be.

I attempted to inquire about it with them (of course no response) if
they meant to actually say a "broadband router" instead.

Will a generic broadband router work, or will the Live Box serve as an
appropriate one itself?

A generic ADSL router (not BB, or cable, but most say adsl) will be instead
of the livenbox, but the livebox will do as you wish, but with the addition
of a switch.

Gaz

Holly

Old July 22nd 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:51:58 UTC, "Gaz" wrote:

Nah, just need a simple switch. I cant quite see the point of single port
routers.

I use one:

line -- sp Router --- dedicated firewall --- switch to rest of
network

There's a possible point!

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old July 22nd 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:51:58 UTC, "Gaz" wrote:

Nah, just need a simple switch. I cant quite see the point of single port
routers.

I use one:

line -- sp Router --- dedicated firewall --- switch to rest of
network

There's a possible point!

How many 'orange livebox' customers are going to be running a linux firewall
though???

Gaz

Old July 22nd 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:54:14 UTC, "Gaz" wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:51:58 UTC, "Gaz" wrote:

Nah, just need a simple switch. I cant quite see the point of single port
routers.

I use one:

line -- sp Router --- dedicated firewall --- switch to rest of
network

There's a possible point!

How many 'orange livebox' customers are going to be running a linux firewall
though???

a) Your comment seemed to be general, so mine was too..not just Orange
livebox. They keep trying to sell me their service, mind.
b) It's not a Linux box; I try to avoid that upstart wannabe UNIX!

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old July 23rd 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hollywood

"Yes it does. I think you might need to hold one of the touch buttons to

allow intial wireless connections."

Could you explain what you mean by a touch button or switch.
I have the wireless enabled, as far as the notebook adapter, not sure
if there's another step involved. After looking through the Live Box
configuration, I have set it to WPA only security (to avoid blocking
the wireless adapters), channel 6 and overall wirless is enabled.

I did not see anything about SSID though...

Will I need to set gaming console connections to PPPOE/ADSL or should
an auto config for "ethernet" suffice?

Holly

--
Hollywood
Old July 25th 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hollywood

"Yes it does. I think you might need to hold one of the touch buttons to

allow intial wireless connections."

I have the wireless enabled, as far as the notebook adapter, not sure
if there's another step involved. After looking through the Live Box
configuration, I have removed WPA and WEP security, disabled the
firewall, set to channel 6; pairing time is 1 minute or less.