Wi-Fi phones, any good?

Old July 22nd 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

Default Wi-Fi phones, any good?

I am not using VOIP yet so please bear with me.

I came across NETGEAR SPH101 Skype WiFi Phone, UTStarcom UTS F1000 WiFi IP
Phone Wi-Fi phones. Use of Wi-Fi phones seems to me potentially useful
development but I am rather unsure about
a] compatibility of these or any other similar devices with current VOIP
services. What do I need to look for to ensure compatibility or would these
work with any VOIP provider?
b] how do they actually connect. I have a home network with Wi-Fi router,
desktop PC with cable modem connection and a Laptop that connects via Wi-Fi
c] has anyone used one of these and could he or she recommend any of them?

Thanks
divoch

Old July 22nd 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jon Farmer

divoch wrote:
I am not using VOIP yet so please bear with me.

I came across NETGEAR SPH101 Skype WiFi Phone, UTStarcom UTS F1000 WiFi IP
Phone Wi-Fi phones. Use of Wi-Fi phones seems to me potentially useful
development but I am rather unsure about
a] compatibility of these or any other similar devices with current VOIP
services. What do I need to look for to ensure compatibility or would these
work with any VOIP provider?
b] how do they actually connect. I have a home network with Wi-Fi router,
desktop PC with cable modem connection and a Laptop that connects via Wi-Fi
c] has anyone used one of these and could he or she recommend any of them?

I have experience with the UTStarcom F1000 and the Zyxel p-2000W WiFi
phones.

They both are 802.11x compatible and connected to my Dlink DSL-G604T
fairly painlessly. They both handled my WEP key without any problem.
They both use SIP and handle NAT ok. I found the phone interfaces on
both of them to be very cumbersome and immature when compared to todays
current crop of mobile phone interfaces.

Call quality was acceptable but even with the volume turned up they were
a little on the quiet side, this was also true for the ringer. Battery
life is not brilliant again compared to mobiles but then again WiFi
takes more juice to run.

One major problem I found was that they tend to lose registration which
is not good, the only way to sort it was to reboot the phone.

I had both of the phones on evaluation but after testing i wouldn't buy
one myself.

HTH

Jon

Old July 22nd 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jon Farmer" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

I've not used them but I know people who have and the general consensus of
opinion is that a normal DECT cordless phone plugged into either an ATA or
combined router/ATA is the way to go if you really want cordless
operation. It's theoretically possible to use a WiFi phone at a wireless
hotspot but I don't know of anyone that has successfully done it, given
that you have to log on and pay with a credit card at most of them.

Ivor

Old July 22nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
roman

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Jon Farmer" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

OK, what you are both saying is that the technology is not yet mature enough
but it seems to me that in future it will be the way to go for travelling
around the
world full of high speed wireless hotspots. Of course it will be probably
a Wi-Fi enabled mobile phone -

divoch

Old July 22nd 06, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

VoIP Phone works like a mobile phone - no PC is required!
Internet (Voip) phone service plan thru wireless network,can reduce
telephone charges compared to standard telephone services.
It's giving you greater freedom to roam throughout your network while
making
phone calls.In fact,you can make calls wherever you have Internet
access.

http://www.flying-rugs.com/satellite...p300-phone.htm

Old July 22nd 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

wrote in message
ups.com...
VoIP Phone works like a mobile phone - no PC is required!
Internet (Voip) phone service plan thru wireless network,can reduce
telephone charges compared to standard telephone services.
It's giving you greater freedom to roam throughout your network while
making
phone calls.In fact,you can make calls wherever you have Internet
access.

http://www.flying-rugs.com/satellite...p300-phone.htm

.....works with latest VoIP SIP protocol.
So, can I be sure that it works with all VOIP service providers?
I presume it will not be compatible with SKYPE though.
divoch

Old July 22nd 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
ups.com

Are you still spamming..? Abuse reported.

Ivor

Old July 23rd 06, 06:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
My Name

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:29:38 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

I've not used them but I know people who have and the general consensus of
opinion is that a normal DECT cordless phone plugged into either an ATA or
combined router/ATA is the way to go if you really want cordless
operation. It's theoretically possible to use a WiFi phone at a wireless
hotspot but I don't know of anyone that has successfully done it, given
that you have to log on and pay with a credit card at most of them.

There's not much point in using a pay hot spot for getting free/cheap
calls - the price of the hot spot is only marginally cheaper than a
mobile phone.

The whole point is to use the growing number of free or associative
(such as fon) hotspots.

I saw one such at a friend's. He has it on loan. and has used it at
free hotspots. Says it works.