Talktalk

Old July 23rd 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Talktalk

Is their free broadband offer a con? I was told it would be up and running
last week the web tracker says it's up and running but I have not heard a
thing from them, their call centre is allways too busy and they won't
respond to emails.

Old July 23rd 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

"A" wrote:

Is their free broadband offer a con? I was told it would be up and running
last week the web tracker says it's up and running but I have not heard a
thing from them...

They postponed launch by a couple of months. They set themselves a big
target (getting equipment installed in approx 20% of the BT exchanges)
and as long ago as May there was some comment about delay getting
it all working by the end of June (when some exchanges were meant
to be activated). There have been various comments about them on
websites such as www.theregister.co.uk They dropped the price by a
pound last week, I think, perhaps to compete with BSkyB.

Of course it may be that they are negotiating the purchase of all the
Bulldog kit so as to have kit in 600+ exchanges and just add to that
to reach their targets. Negotiating that could delay launch but they
have most to gain from buying Bulldog users/kit because others like
Orange have already got kit in 200+ exchanges and most likely
there'd be too much duplication. HTH.
Old July 23rd 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Smith

I set my mum and brother-in-law with this (light users so it suited
them). My B-in-L got his kit, letter and line enabled very quickly. My
mum on the other hand was messed about big time. In the end I found that
she had be enabled, they just hadn't sent the kit. Borrowed some kit and
she was up and running inside 1 hour.

If you know you have been enabled then the best thing to do is visit one
of their shops. Their help line sucks, but our local shop was very good
and the kit then turned up within 3 days.

Good Luck
Simon

Old July 24th 06, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
relkeel

"A" wrote in message
Is their free broadband offer a con? I was told it would be up and running
last week the web tracker says it's up and running but I have not heard a
thing from them, their call centre is allways too busy and they won't
respond to emails.

I visited someone this morning who has switched to TT and not received any
notification yet.
A quick visit to the website revealed that activation was in progress and
the expected activation date was end August!
If you call the help line there is a option that will tell you a number to
call to get your password.
The username is the telephone number followed by @talktalk.net.

Did this, changed the router settings and connection was made.
The only thing is nothing else seems to have been set up, eg, webmail or
ability to change broadband features.
Considering Wanadoo had closed his previous account was he expected to wait
until the end of Aagust before TT told him he could now use his new account?

hth,
relkeel

Old July 24th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

"relkeel" wrote:

The only thing is nothing else seems to have been set up, eg, webmail or
ability to change broadband features.

Lots of other webmail options from Googlemail (if he gets an invite at
some existing mail address) or yahoo.co.uk - and one of those would
be likely to work if he has a problem with TT mail (or wants to leave,
it will still work, whereas they might zap the mailbox). Not sure how
Lycos compares for free (?) mail.

Considering Wanadoo had closed his previous account was he expected to wait
until the end of August before TT told him he could now use his new account?

Does seem to have been badly handled. Hope the service works out OK.

Old July 24th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I spoke too early, back on dial up due to talktalk broadband running fine
for about an hour then for no reason it cut off, no response from customer
services or tech help...

Old July 24th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh A:

"A" wrote in message
thanks for that, I got it up and running, I

You managed to get an hour out of a TalkTalk connection, it does seem
TalkTalk is improving slightly!

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old July 25th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I got back on last night by reloading the modem software which asked for id
and password, and have been on since (not all the time...sleep), email is
working ( I think but I will use a web based till I trust it), no newsgroup
access so I am using aioe, and am about to find out if it will allow me to
post. First impressions customer service non existant, tech help lol, I had
to play around for a while but it is up and running fine, for now.

Old August 16th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , NoNeedToKnow
writes

Lots of other webmail options from Googlemail (if he gets an invite at
some existing mail address) or yahoo.co.uk - and one of those would
be likely to work if he has a problem with TT mail (or wants to leave,
it will still work, whereas they might zap the mailbox). Not sure how
Lycos compares for free (?) mail.

Have a look at FastMail, its not my main email client but I find it very
good indeed as my webmail option and the basic version is completely
free with minuscule adds and you only have to agree to log-on every few
months minimum to keep it going.
--
Derrick Fawsitt