Will LLU provider improve a poor phone line?

Old July 23rd 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Default Will LLU provider improve a poor phone line?

I have just moved house and my adsl speed has dropped to 512, and the
line is quite poor. Carphone Warehouse are going to start providing BB
vie LLU next month.
If I sign up for this service, Will it improve my connection speed or
am I just stuck with this knackered phone line?
Thanks in advance.
Ian

Old July 23rd 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 23-Jul-2006, "Ian" wrote:

If I sign up for this service, Will it improve my connection speed or
am I just stuck with this knackered phone line?

If that's all your line will support that's what you are stuck with.
You could go for a modem that has long line support.

What needs doing is unbundling BT's ducts, so providers
could have a free for all pulling in fibre to the curb.
Then we could have as much bandwidth as we could afford
to pay for.
Copper could be pulled out to make way for fibre, copper
fetches a good price. BT could also sell off a lot of its smaller
local exchanges often as prime housing land. Prescott would
love that, as would local councils, more tax.
Old July 23rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

"Ian" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just moved house and my adsl speed has dropped to 512, and the
line is quite poor. Carphone Warehouse are going to start providing BB
vie LLU next month.
If I sign up for this service, Will it improve my connection speed or
am I just stuck with this knackered phone line?
Thanks in advance.
Ian

strictly speaking, any adsl has to come into your property over this "poor
line", so it doesn't really matter who provides the service, it'll still be
poor, unless they can replace/rectify the problem.

P.

Old July 23rd 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

wrote in message

On 23-Jul-2006, "Ian" wrote:

If I sign up for this service, Will it improve my connection speed or
am I just stuck with this knackered phone line?

If that's all your line will support that's what you are stuck with.
You could go for a modem that has long line support.

What needs doing is unbundling BT's ducts, so providers
could have a free for all pulling in fibre to the curb.

Is a curb anything like a Kerb?

Old July 23rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:48:39 UTC, "SJP"
wrote:

What needs doing is unbundling BT's ducts, so providers
could have a free for all pulling in fibre to the curb.

Is a curb anything like a Kerb?

Not in the UK!

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old July 23rd 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 23-Jul-2006, "SJP" wrote:

Is a curb anything like a Kerb?

Yup, depends on where you live, and which country, I think the Yanks tend to use curb.
Just checked dictionary.com for curb
A concrete border or row of joined stones forming part of a gutter along the edge of a
street.
Old July 23rd 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Patchy The Pirate

wrote in message

On 23-Jul-2006, "Ian" wrote:

If I sign up for this service, Will it improve my connection speed or
am I just stuck with this knackered phone line?

If that's all your line will support that's what you are stuck with.
You could go for a modem that has long line support.

What needs doing is unbundling BT's ducts, so providers
could have a free for all pulling in fibre to the curb.
Then we could have as much bandwidth as we could afford
to pay for.
Copper could be pulled out to make way for fibre, copper
fetches a good price. BT could also sell off a lot of its smaller
local exchanges often as prime housing land. Prescott would
love that, as would local councils, more tax.

BT don't own the exchanges, they sold them and rent them back.

Paddy

Old July 23rd 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 23-Jul-2006, "Patchy The Pirate" wrote:

BT don't own the exchanges, they sold them and rent them back.

Obviousy a dumb move considering the rise in property and building
land prices. Still typical of the beancounters. Flog the property to
pay the salaries and pensions of the incompetents at the top.
Things were better when it was Post Office Telephones.