Pulse-to-DTMF converter for UK (Linksys ATA3000)

Old July 23rd 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin

Default Pulse-to-DTMF converter for UK (Linksys ATA3000)

Hi,

Does anyone here happen to know of a UK supplier for a pulse-dial to
tone-dial adaptor?

I like the idea of originating VOIP calls with a 1930's vintage phone,
but of course the Sipura/Linksys SIP ATA only understands DTMF.

Thanks for any info!

- Martin.

Old July 23rd 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

Hi,

Does anyone here happen to know of a UK supplier for a pulse-dial to
tone-dial adaptor?

I like the idea of originating VOIP calls with a 1930's vintage phone,
but of course the Sipura/Linksys SIP ATA only understands DTMF.

Thanks for any info!

- Martin.

I think the answer might lie with an LCR call router programmed to simply
echo dialled digits.
I am sure the Mitel SMarT1 call controllers I used to install years ago will
convert LD to DTMF

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 23rd 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Martin" wrote in message

Hi,

Does anyone here happen to know of a UK supplier for a
pulse-dial to tone-dial adaptor?

I like the idea of originating VOIP calls with a 1930's
vintage phone, but of course the Sipura/Linksys SIP ATA
only understands DTMF.

Thanks for any info!

- Martin.

It may be overkill, but if you're really into old telephones you could
look for a London 8 or London 16 PABX on eBay, they come up from time to
time. They will accept either LD or DTMF phones and the exchange lines can
be set to output in one or the other. So you would connect the exchange
line ports up to your ATA and set them to dial out in DTMF, then whatever
you connected to an extension would still send in MF to the line.

I use a London 16 here to connect all my house phones, it's a good piece
of kit. Each exchange or extension port has a separate line card and you
can have up to 8 exchange lines so depending on which cards you have you
could have 2 lines and 14 extensions, 3 lines and 13 extensions etc.

See http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/london16.htm for some info.

As I said they come up on eBay every so often at reasonable prices and are
an ideal way to connect several house phones to VoIP and you get an
internal phone system around the house as well..!

There is also a version with what they call "hotel" firmware which allows
things like programming an extension number to be the same as a room
number and few other things, so watch for that if you get one. There is
also, as you will see in the photo, an operator's console available, but
for normal use it works fine without one. I have the user and programming
manuals if you buy one and it doesn't come with them.

Ivor

Old July 23rd 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin

"Graham." wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone here happen to know of a UK supplier for a pulse-dial to
tone-dial adaptor?

I like the idea of originating VOIP calls with a 1930's vintage phone,
but of course the Sipura/Linksys SIP ATA only understands DTMF.

Thanks for any info!

- Martin.

I think the answer might lie with an LCR call router programmed to simply
echo dialled digits.
I am sure the Mitel SMarT1 call controllers I used to install years ago will
convert LD to DTMF

I'll bear that in mind as an option, thanks!

Old July 23rd 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin

"Ivor Jones" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

Hi,

Does anyone here happen to know of a UK supplier for a
pulse-dial to tone-dial adaptor?

I like the idea of originating VOIP calls with a 1930's
vintage phone, but of course the Sipura/Linksys SIP ATA
only understands DTMF.

Thanks for any info!

- Martin.

It may be overkill, but if you're really into old telephones you could
look for a London 8 or London 16 PABX on eBay, they come up from time to
time. They will accept either LD or DTMF phones and the exchange lines can
be set to output in one or the other. So you would connect the exchange
line ports up to your ATA and set them to dial out in DTMF, then whatever
you connected to an extension would still send in MF to the line.

Ah, now we're talking! Good geeky stuff, and actually more flexible in that
the PSTN line and the VOIP ATA could be set up as independent outside lines.
Which would mean that the VOIP ATA wasn't in circuit for purely BT calls (see
other thread: it seems my VOIP adaptor drops incoming PSTN calls at random
intervals). Just the re-cabling to worry about...

See http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/london16.htm for some info.

An excellent website that I looked at earlier today as it happens! Solid lot
of info there for vintage phones etc. I got there from a link from "Buzby's
Boys" - http://www.dennishanna.com/buzby's%20boys.htm - which has some good
old anecdotes from BT engineers of the pre-Thatcher days.

Cheers,

- Martin.