Networking two PC's for P2P use need help.

Old July 24th 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Home Theatre Guy

Default Networking two PC's for P2P use need help.

Networking two PC's for P2P use need help.

The first is just my main pc and the second pc is going to be my 24/7
Download box. I just have some idea of how to do it, but would like
much more help.

If you could run me though it like for a dummy that would be nice

I have a billion 5102 Four port Ethernet modem. At the moment i have a
network setup between the two pcs and the second pc is shareing my net
conection which is ADSL2-2mbt conection. God only knows how i manged
that

Ive been reading but what stumps me is Port Forwarding how would this
work. I was told to put an IP in for the host machine other than my
Own Internal ip. SO what happens then what do i forward my ports to ?

Totaly confused.

Please be easy on me and explain everything and ASUME nothing

My download box is all ready just have to get this all setup to get it
humming.

Thanks for all your help.

Old July 27th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sparks

Home Theatre Guy wrote in message

[...]

In order for P2P to work correctly, your PC needs to be seen by the outside
world.
Normally your router will block this, unless you tell it otherwise.

Your internal PC's will have an internal IP address, by default your router
has the IP address of 192.168.1.254

By default, your router will assign the addresses 192.168.100 -
192.168.1.199

So, your two PC's will probably have the addresses 192.168.1.100 and
192.168.1.101 unless you have done something different.

You need to set static IP addresses on your PC's you want to forward ports
to, this is so the address always stays the same.

To start with, you need to make sure your router is at the address
192.168.1.254 - is this the address you use to access it's setup page?

Assuming this is the case, you now need to check what IP addresses are
available to set as static (setting an address that the router thinks is OK
to give out can end up in two things with the same address - BAD!

Go to the routers web page
Open your web browser, enter the IP address of your router, which by default
is

192.168.1.254, and click "Go", a user name and password window prompt will
appear. The
default username and password are "admin" and "admin".

You need to look for the DHCP section, by default it has the following
values
DHCP Server - ON
Start Address - 192.168.1.100
Size of pool - 100

If this is the case, then you can assign static addresses from
192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.99
192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.253

So, assuming this is the case, you need to set a static IP on your "24/7" pc
Assuming you have windows XP, go the to control panel
double click on Network Connection
Right click on your LAN connection and select properties
Scroll down the list in the middle to TCP/IP and double click on it
Change it to "use the following IP address"
Set the IP address to 192.168.1.1 then press Tab when you are in the last
box
The subnet mask will change to 255.255.255.0 - this is correct
set the default gateway to the router's IP (192.168.1.254)
Set the Preferred DNS to the router's IP (192.168.1.254)
Press OK and you should be back to the list with TCP/IP you double clicked
in before
Press OK to this, It will think about it for a bit, then you will be back to
the Network Connections page

Now you need to make sure your connection works after your changes.

If so, go to the router's setup page again

You need to find the configuration page "NAT - Mode"
In here, there are three choices
None
Many to One
Many to Many

It should already be on Many to One (This means several computers all share
one public IP address)
Click Edit Details next to this
You should now see a port mapping page.

I like to forward 1000 ports to each PC, so I suggest you do the same.
So, in row 2, put in 1000 - 1999 - 192.168.1.1
Press save

This will forward ports 1000-1999 to your PC you have set to IP address
192.168.1.1

Now you need to tell your P2P software to use these ports.
Foe example, in Shareaza, click Tools - Shareaza setting - Internet -
Connections - change the port number to a port in the forwarded range.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/shareaza/

Now repeat all this for any other PC's you wish to port forward to (Changing
the IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 etc..)

Sparks...

Old July 28th 06, 06:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Home Theatre Guy

You cut an pasted that you did

I actually understood that. Well pretty much.

Thanks man. Ive seen explanations but not he P2P together, that makes
all the sense in understanding it.

Thanks man.

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:51:53 +0100, "Sparks"
wrote:

.. .

Old July 28th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sparks

Home Theatre Guy wrote in message

You cut an pasted that you did

Oh no I didn't!, it took me ages!
I even downloaded the manual for your router so I could see how it is setup
by default!
I should keep a copy of it now, because I am sure it will be asked again!

I actually understood that. Well pretty much.

Well, I tried to explain it as clearly as I could - let me know if you get
stuck.

Thanks man. Ive seen explanations but not he P2P together, that makes
all the sense in understanding it.

Thanks man.

No Probs :-)

Sparks...

Old July 30th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Ill know where the come for any networking problems inthe future. I
posted this to alll the network groups on Usenet and this is the only
one what was usefull

Spammer me

Thanks again.