NTL 10mb Modem slower u/l than 5mb STB ?

Old July 25th 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Resident Drunk

Default NTL 10mb Modem slower u/l than 5mb STB ?

Hi all,

A few days ago I posted a message about no connection for incoming
VNC/http connections following an (NTL) upgrade from a 5mb STB to a 10Mb
modem.

After doing some more investigation it seems that it is the upload speed
that is causing the problem. With a straightforward speed test from the
NTL side all looks well but VNC & http connection into the NTL side (my
house) are extremely slow and frequently do not connect at all.

So - my questions are :

Could this be caused by something like incorrect MTU settings within the
router ?. The router is a Netgear WG854 - is there anything else I would
need to change ?.

I do not set any DNS other than the default ntl ones - should I ?.

TIA
Old July 25th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Resident Drunk

Resident Drunk wrote:
Hi all,

A few days ago I posted a message about no connection for incoming
VNC/http connections following an (NTL) upgrade from a 5mb STB to a 10Mb
modem.

After doing some more investigation it seems that it is the upload speed
that is causing the problem. With a straightforward speed test from the
NTL side all looks well but VNC & http connection into the NTL side (my
house) are extremely slow and frequently do not connect at all.

So - my questions are :

Could this be caused by something like incorrect MTU settings within the
router ?. The router is a Netgear WG854 - is there anything else I would
need to change ?.

I do not set any DNS other than the default ntl ones - should I ?.

TIA

As a followup - using UltraVNC from a remote location - I get the
following connection speeds (with nothing else running on either targets
or client machines) :

VNC into a 2mb BT line : 76kbits\sec
VNC into a 10mb NTL cable modem : 28kbits\sec
Old July 25th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"Resident Drunk" wrote in message
| Resident Drunk wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| A few days ago I posted a message about no connection for incoming
| VNC/http connections following an (NTL) upgrade from a 5mb STB to a 10Mb
| modem.
|
| After doing some more investigation it seems that it is the upload speed
| that is causing the problem. With a straightforward speed test from the
| NTL side all looks well but VNC & http connection into the NTL side (my
| house) are extremely slow and frequently do not connect at all.
|
| So - my questions are :
|
| Could this be caused by something like incorrect MTU settings within the
| router ?. The router is a Netgear WG854 - is there anything else I would
| need to change ?.
|
| I do not set any DNS other than the default ntl ones - should I ?.
|
| TIA
|
| As a followup - using UltraVNC from a remote location - I get the
| following connection speeds (with nothing else running on either targets
| or client machines) :
|
| VNC into a 2mb BT line : 76kbits\sec
| VNC into a 10mb NTL cable modem : 28kbits\sec

Tried using different ports in case they are throttling you?