Have sipgate MUNGED my netgear router?

Old July 25th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Shane Carpenter

Default Have sipgate MUNGED my netgear router?

Purchased a netgear TA612V off ebay a couple of months ago, got the open
firmware from sipgate and then reconfigured the router to work with
voip.co.uk. Been ok for a couple of months and then on Thursday night the
line went dead. Voip.co.uk checked my account and theres no problems. I've
used X-Lite from my PC to connect to voip.co.uk no problems.

If I reconfigure my netgear with my sipgate settings, it works fine, with my
voip.co.uk or voiptalk.org settings, it doesnt work.

So, the question is, does sipgate try and hijack my netgear router back to
them!

Cheers, Shane.

Old July 25th 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:36:34 +0100, "Shane Carpenter" [email protected]
wrote:

Been ok for a couple of months and then on Thursday night the
line went dead.

Lightning damage, probably. There is no way that Sipgate could have
broken it, even if they had wanted to.
Old July 25th 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Shane Carpenter

wrote:
Lightning damage, probably. There is no way that Sipgate could have
broken it, even if they had wanted to.

Unlikely lightening, 1) there wasn't any at the time, 2) I'm on Telewest
cable, the wires are under ground, 3) it still works with Sipgate.

As far as I know they can still do something to the router as when the
router boots it looks at the sipgate TFTP server.

Shane.

Old July 25th 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Shane Carpenter" [email protected] wrote in message
g.com
[email protected] wrote:
Lightning damage, probably. There is no way that
Sipgate could have broken it, even if they had wanted
to.

Unlikely lightening, 1) there wasn't any at the time, 2)
I'm on Telewest cable, the wires are under ground, 3) it
still works with Sipgate.
As far as I know they can still do something to the
router as when the router boots it looks at the sipgate
TFTP server.

Eh..? There is no reason they would deliberately try and do anything. What
did their Tech Support say..? You did ask, right..?

Ivor

Old July 25th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

[email protected] wrote:
Lightning damage, probably. There is no way that
Sipgate could have broken it, even if they had wanted
to.

Unlikely lightening, 1) there wasn't any at the time, 2)
I'm on Telewest cable, the wires are under ground, 3) it
still works with Sipgate.
As far as I know they can still do something to the
router as when the router boots it looks at the sipgate
TFTP server.

Eh..? There is no reason they would deliberately try and do anything. What
did their Tech Support say..? You did ask, right..?

Any chance this coincided with the blocking of SIP connections from
external providers (~last Thursday/Friday)?

RumourMill: are SIPgate now restricting the source of calls to people
they peer with or their own numbers?
Old July 25th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message

[snip]

Any chance this coincided with the blocking of SIP
connections from external providers (~last
Thursday/Friday)?

RumourMill: are SIPgate now restricting the source of
calls to people they peer with or their own numbers?

I was talking to someone who thinks it might be something to do with
"SPIT" (Spam over Internet Telephones") - Google it and you'll get some
interesting info.

Ivor

Old July 25th 06, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Shane Carpenter

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Eh..? There is no reason they would deliberately try and do anything. What
did their Tech Support say..? You did ask, right..?

Ivor

Well I didn't fancy asking them if they had knackered my voip.co.uk
connection as I doubt they would respond with a YES. I'm not accusing them,
it's just weird that my router only now seems to work with sipgate. There is
a reason why they would do it, more sipgate users ;-)

Shane

Old July 25th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Shane Carpenter" [email protected] please wrote in message
ng.com
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Eh..? There is no reason they would deliberately try
and do anything. What did their Tech Support say..? You
did ask, right..?

Well I didn't fancy asking them if they had knackered my
voip.co.uk connection as I doubt they would respond with
a YES. I'm not accusing them, it's just weird that my
router only now seems to work with sipgate. There is a
reason why they would do it, more sipgate users ;-)

Or they could have done nothing and not released the open firmware..!

Ivor

Old July 26th 06, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Shane Carpenter

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Or they could have done nothing and not released the open firmware..!

Ivor

Or they could have released the open firmware to get people to buy the
netgear router only to take away their freedom a month or so later.

Old July 26th 06, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

Or they could have done nothing and not released the
open firmware..!

Or they could have released the open firmware to get
people to buy the netgear router only to take away their
freedom a month or so later.

You don't *really* believe that, do you..? There are several other devices
that they sell, none of which are or ever have been locked. The Netgear is
just one device, I don't know why it was originally supplied locked, but
if your theory is correct then surely all the equipment they sell would
come locked..?

Ivor