cable broadband

Old July 25th 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

Default cable broadband

A friend has asked me to set up a new modem/router for them.

They are on NTL.

So the question is do they need an ordinary modem/router-in-1 box, or do
they need a special cable modem/router-in-1 box?

Looking at the dabs website, it is not clear which will be required.

Old July 25th 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

F9 wrote:
A friend has asked me to set up a new modem/router for them.

They are on NTL.

So the question is do they need an ordinary modem/router-in-1 box, or do
they need a special cable modem/router-in-1 box?

Looking at the dabs website, it is not clear which will be required.

They do not need to supply /any/ modem to connect to ntl's cable service
- ntl supply and configure a cable modem. If you have a single PC, you
can in principle plug this straight into the ntl modem - but /must/ be
aware of the risks of not having proper protection from nasties on the net.

Otherwise they will need a straightforward router (ethernet to ethernet
and/or wireless), which will connect via ethernet to ntl's cable modem.
Any router with NAT will provide some protection from external probings.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 25th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

"F9" wrote in
:

A friend has asked me to set up a new modem/router for them.

They are on NTL.

So the question is do they need an ordinary modem/router-in-1
box, or do they need a special cable modem/router-in-1 box?

Looking at the dabs website, it is not clear which will be
required.

You need a router *without* a built-in modem. These are often called
"Cable/DSL Router". Suggest you choose one with wireless capability
built-in, it's a lot cheaper than adding wireless capability later
when they (inevitably) need it.

You'll find details on how to set it up he
http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/

Specific example:
http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/linksys.html
Old July 27th 06, 12:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

"Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote in message
"F9" wrote in
:

A friend has asked me to set up a new modem/router for them.

They are on NTL.

So the question is do they need an ordinary modem/router-in-1
box, or do they need a special cable modem/router-in-1 box?

Looking at the dabs website, it is not clear which will be
required.

You need a router *without* a built-in modem. These are often called
"Cable/DSL Router". Suggest you choose one with wireless capability
built-in, it's a lot cheaper than adding wireless capability later
when they (inevitably) need it.

I had wireless and have now removed it from my network. i`ve got fed up of
fixing other peoples wireless problems, and a wired network is faster, more
secure and generally nicer for me. The problem is that I have to buy
wireless kit if I`m in a ruch, it`s difficult to get a wired only router on
the high street :-(

Old July 27th 06, 09:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tarquinlinbin

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:42:32 +0100, "F9" wrote:

A friend has asked me to set up a new modem/router for them.

They are on NTL.

So the question is do they need an ordinary modem/router-in-1 box, or do
they need a special cable modem/router-in-1 box?

Looking at the dabs website, it is not clear which will be required.

The easiest route is just to buy a wireless router and connect this to
the existing supplied NTL cable modem. Might as well buy a wireless
router while your at it. Used ones are cheap on ebay. The thinking
behind just buying a bog standard wireless router (minus built in
modem) is that it can be used on cable and DSL networks.

Old July 27th 06, 10:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ivor Jones

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in
message
"Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote in
message ...

[snip]

I had wireless and have now removed it from my network. i`ve got fed up
of fixing other peoples wireless
problems, and a wired network is faster, more secure and
generally nicer for me. The problem is that I have to
buy wireless kit if I`m in a ruch, it`s difficult to get
a wired only router on the high street :-(

I have wireless but only use it if I need to use my laptop out of range of
an Ethernet socket.

Ivor

Old July 27th 06, 10:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ivor Jones

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message

[snip]

The easiest route is just to buy a wireless router and
connect this to the existing supplied NTL cable modem.
Might as well buy a wireless router while your at it.
Used ones are cheap on ebay. The thinking behind just
buying a bog standard wireless router (minus built in
modem) is that it can be used on cable and DSL networks.

So where can you buy an ASDL modem (without router) now..? I've not seen
one recently.

Ivor

Old July 27th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

"Ivor Jones" wrote in
:

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message

[snip]

The easiest route is just to buy a wireless router and
connect this to the existing supplied NTL cable modem.
Might as well buy a wireless router while your at it.
Used ones are cheap on ebay. The thinking behind just
buying a bog standard wireless router (minus built in
modem) is that it can be used on cable and DSL networks.

So where can you buy an ASDL modem (without router) now..? I've
not seen one recently.

Choice of 6 models he
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?CategoryID=34
Old July 27th 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ivor Jones

"Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote in
message
"Ivor Jones" wrote in
:

[snip]

So where can you buy an ASDL modem (without router)
now..? I've not seen one recently.

Choice of 6 models he
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?CategoryID=34

Hmm, the first one (Netgear DG632) says in the spec:

NETGEAR's combination 2-port router, modem, and firewall plugs directly
into your ADSL line for instant connectivity ...

The Zoom 5560 also has a router in it, and the Zoom 5551 says "With its
built-in Internet gateway, the X4 can provide ADSL access to up to 253
computers, all at the same time!" which would indicate to me the presence
of a router.

Still, the other three don't make any mention of router capability so
maybe they are plain modems.

Ivor

Old July 27th 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

"Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote in message
"F9" wrote in
:

A friend has asked me to set up a new modem/router for them.

They are on NTL.

So the question is do they need an ordinary modem/router-in-1
box, or do they need a special cable modem/router-in-1 box?

Looking at the dabs website, it is not clear which will be
required.

You need a router *without* a built-in modem. These are often called
"Cable/DSL Router". Suggest you choose one with wireless capability
built-in, it's a lot cheaper than adding wireless capability later
when they (inevitably) need it.

You'll find details on how to set it up he
http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/

Specific example:
http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/linksys.html

Thanks for this. Helped a lot.