BT business internet with line fault

Old July 25th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

Default BT business internet with line fault

Had a dead line 9 days ago followed by 2 days of diversion then a "temporary"
repair. BT says the line is still faulty - possibly waiting for spares(!) but
the temporary repair gives us speech. We have now been without (BT business)
broadband for a week and can only get 21.4kbps dial-up. BT internent say they
cannot do anything while the fault is still open with BT.
Is there _anything_ we can do to resolve this more quickly - we need radar
weather animation and other stuff on-demand and dial-up is not good enough.

Geo
Old July 25th 06, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"Geo" wrote in message
| Had a dead line 9 days ago followed by 2 days of diversion then a "temporary"
| repair. BT says the line is still faulty - possibly waiting for spares(!) but
| the temporary repair gives us speech. We have now been without (BT business)
| broadband for a week and can only get 21.4kbps dial-up. BT internent say they
| cannot do anything while the fault is still open with BT.
| Is there _anything_ we can do to resolve this more quickly - we need radar
| weather animation and other stuff on-demand and dial-up is not good enough.
|
| Geo

It really depends what the nature of the line fault is. Until that is repaired
and closed off testing OK, then broadband have to sit and wait.
There could be multiple reasons why it is taking the time it is to resolve. It
could be that their is civil engineering work to do, or ariel cable and poles to
replace, and this does take time.

As soon as the line tests ok and the fault is closed, BB will look and see if
the fault is cleared.

It sounds, from your description, like a shot cable to be with no spares in it
(as the fault is still open)
You can check the job online at bt.com/faults. You will be able to read the
engineering notes with the account number.

The other (common) problem is lightning damage to the exchange DSLAM cards. If
there are no spares to lift and shift a line then a minimum of 5 days is needed
to do a 'lift and shift' by ceasing some unused ADSL equipment and reproviding
it to you. However, if this were the case the line fault job would be closed off
as 'passed to other BT departments'.

Hope that helps.

Old July 25th 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:55:02 GMT, "Pier Danone" Pier wrote:

It really depends what the nature of the line fault is. Until that is repaired
and closed off testing OK, then broadband have to sit and wait.
There could be multiple reasons why it is taking the time it is to resolve. It
could be that their is civil engineering work to do, or ariel cable and poles to
replace, and this does take time.

The guys on the ground think it is/was a damaged cable due to a new building
(hanger).
As soon as the line tests ok and the fault is closed, BB will look and see if
the fault is cleared.

We really need it real soon...

It sounds, from your description, like a shot cable to be with no spares in it
(as the fault is still open)

There were other businesses nearby who had line troubles also - our second line
with the (dial-up) modem connected did not fail but speed is below standard 56k.
You can check the job online at bt.com/faults. You will be able to read the
engineering notes with the account number.

Unfortunately the site complains about a mismatched number/account - even when I
get there via view-my-bills page. Not sure if they would have changed our
account numbers due to a recent move from one building to another.

snip
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

Geo
Old July 25th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Geo wrote:

Had a dead line 9 days ago followed by 2 days of diversion then a "temporary"
repair. BT says the line is still faulty - possibly waiting for spares(!) but
the temporary repair gives us speech. We have now been without (BT business)
broadband for a week and can only get 21.4kbps dial-up. BT internent say they
cannot do anything while the fault is still open with BT.

That's right. Their systems won't let them book the fault.

Is there _anything_ we can do to resolve this more quickly - we need radar
weather animation and other stuff on-demand and dial-up is not good enough.

If I were in your shoes I would talk to other companies in line of
sight who have working broadband connections with regards to a wifi
link which could be used as as backup by either party in emergencies.
This is likely to be the fastest guaranteed way to get reasonable speed
connect to your premises at sensible costs, as other the other poster
has pointed out there may be significant effort involved for BT to get
new copper in.

Regards

William MacLeod

Old July 27th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:02:28 GMT, "Pier Danone" Pier wrote:

Which leads me to think we are talking about a cable on private ground???

Cable believed to cross the airport.
If so, as long as someone signs a wayleave to allow contractors to work and dig,
you normally see movement inside of 10 days.
If the job gets to 20 days old, it becomes a 'tail' (a very old job) and the
level 2 management get there arses chewed. In all honesty it would have been
better if you were out of service all together as it would become a priority.

Yes - that was my thought
snip
Make sure you are entering it in the
format (AREA) 12345678 (no gaps) THUS for thamewey TH12345678 ignore any other
digits, the system does. It should let you in!!! If you can post back what the
fault says we can be a bit more specific.

Found out today that our account codes were changed when we moved from one
building to another. With the new account code input I get:-
"Faults: Fault details
There is an open fault on this line
Telephone number 0131339xxxx Date reported 16 Jul 2006 at 09:23
Reference number ES0PAT10 Date completed 18 Jul 2006 at 13:00

Fault status We are unable to give you an update on your fault at the moment.
Please contact us on 0800 800 154, if you would like further information.

Results of fault diagnosis The problem is likely to be with BT's network.
We will start your repair shortly. Sorry for any inconvenience. "
So guess we will just have to wait it out.

Re the suggestion to share wireless - the only other tenant of the building does
not have broadband. Other neighbours are airport security so unlikely to want to
share...

Geo
Old July 27th 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"Geo" wrote in message
| On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:02:28 GMT, "Pier Danone" Pier wrote:
|
| Which leads me to think we are talking about a cable on private ground???
| Cable believed to cross the airport.
| If so, as long as someone signs a wayleave to allow contractors to work and
dig,
| you normally see movement inside of 10 days.
| If the job gets to 20 days old, it becomes a 'tail' (a very old job) and the
| level 2 management get there arses chewed. In all honesty it would have been
| better if you were out of service all together as it would become a priority.
| Yes - that was my thought
| snip
| Make sure you are entering it in the
| format (AREA) 12345678 (no gaps) THUS for thamewey TH12345678 ignore any
other
| digits, the system does. It should let you in!!! If you can post back what
the
| fault says we can be a bit more specific.
| Found out today that our account codes were changed when we moved from one
| building to another. With the new account code input I get:-
| "Faults: Fault details
| There is an open fault on this line
| Telephone number 0131339xxxx Date reported 16 Jul 2006 at 09:23
| Reference number ES0PAT10 Date completed 18 Jul 2006 at 13:00
|
| Fault status We are unable to give you an update on your fault at the moment.
| Please contact us on 0800 800 154, if you would like further information.
|
| Results of fault diagnosis The problem is likely to be with BT's network.
| We will start your repair shortly. Sorry for any inconvenience. "
| So guess we will just have to wait it out.
|
| Re the suggestion to share wireless - the only other tenant of the building
does
| not have broadband. Other neighbours are airport security so unlikely to want
| share...
|

| Geo

The key here is this: Reference number "Date completed 18 Jul 2006 at 13:00 "
This is suggesting the job is complete, which it is not. Its a crafty way of
doing nothing.
Ring them for an update and ask to speak to a supervisor in the UK. Point out
that if they can get a 600 line telephone exchange (Kingsland 01568) working in
a few hours after a major fault, would they like to get your line working fully
as it's now been out of order for over a week, or would they prefer it if you
sent a fax to Ben Verwaayen or even
will
usually reach his office). Ring them twice a day for updates and register a
complaint with them on the phone. That way they have to update you daily. It's
also worth firing a email to
and ask him why you
have not been treated with 'equivilence' in terms of repair time in relation to
the customers in Kingsland (01568) who had service restored in under 24 hours of
an exchange burning down when all you require is some new cable.

Basically, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep on them.

It does take time to get civils done if digging is involved, but that's not your
problem. Put pressure on them.