Alternative to Skype for multiple homeworkers

Old July 27th 06, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jon

Default Alternative to Skype for multiple homeworkers

We have been trialling using Skype for our homeworkers who make a lot of
short calls.

It works reasonably well and the Skype toolbar which allows us to click on
any phone number displayed in Internet Explorer and automatically dial it is
invaluable. We would not want to lose this facility.

However the facilities to manage the accounts is very poor. For example,
whilst we can allocate money to a central account which then tops each
homeworker's individual account, once this money has gone out it cannot be
reclaimed. Also we wish to regularly download the call logs of each
homeworker, which means having to do this for each individual account.

Cost is important (all calls are to UK landlines). A monthly fee that
allowed unlimited calls might be cost effective.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jon

Old July 27th 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 07:37:51 GMT, "Jon" wrote:

We have been trialling using Skype for our homeworkers who make a lot of
short calls.

It works reasonably well and the Skype toolbar which allows us to click on
any phone number displayed in Internet Explorer and automatically dial it is
invaluable. We would not want to lose this facility.

Go for SIP VOIP and forget about Skype. Come on :-) this is for
business.
With SIP you can choose to have a softphone on the computer (say
x-lite for example), or, alternaitvely, issue an ATA to each worker,
to which you hold the passwords etc. They would then simply plug that
ATA into their system and connect an ordinary phone to it - no
computer needs to be switched on ( you might find that an advantage).
If you do the ATA route do make absolutely sure that you are buying
unlocked ones - i.e. ones that are NOT locked to one particular
operator. This is essential if you want to freedom to move operators
in the future. If you are worried about anyone walking away with an
ATA you could always set deposit on it. Some ATAs will connect between
a broadband modem and a computer. Most, though, connect to a router.
Info: www.voip-info.org
this forum and
www.voxilla.org

However the facilities to manage the accounts is very poor. For example,
whilst we can allocate money to a central account which then tops each
homeworker's individual account, once this money has gone out it cannot be
reclaimed. Also we wish to regularly download the call logs of each
homeworker, which means having to do this for each individual account.

I would think that if you used SIP VOIP that you could make an
arrangement with them to have one financial account with a multiple of
SIP addresses. I am not familiar with business rates so can't advise
specifically but you could check out:-
voipfone.co.uk
voiptalk.org
voip.co.uk
and gradwell.co.uk though there is a monthly fee.
There are lots more but with variable reliability.

Cost is important (all calls are to UK landlines). A monthly fee that
allowed unlimited calls might be cost effective.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jon

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 27th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:40:15 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

[...]

Another idea is to use ta PABX, if you have a large number of workers.
You could even use the service of easypabx or similar, I believe
voipfone have a virtual PABX but I have not investigated it.
I am not sure how you would monitor indvidual charging in this case.
If you decide to go that route then someone else on here may well be
able to advise.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 27th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Brian A" wrote in message

[snip]

Another idea is to use ta PABX, if you have a large
number of workers. You could even use the service of
easypabx or similar, I believe voipfone have a virtual
PABX but I have not investigated it.
I am not sure how you would monitor indvidual charging in
this case. If you decide to go that route then someone
else on here may well be able to advise.

Gradwell have a PABX function and have an excellent reputation for
business use. Not sure if they can do what the OP wants but it wouldn't
hurt to ask them.

Ivor

Old July 27th 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Brian A" wrote in message

[snip]

Another idea is to use ta PABX, if you have a large
number of workers. You could even use the service of
easypabx or similar, I believe voipfone have a virtual
PABX but I have not investigated it.
I am not sure how you would monitor indvidual charging in
this case. If you decide to go that route then someone
else on here may well be able to advise.

Gradwell have a PABX function and have an excellent reputation for
business use. Not sure if they can do what the OP wants but it wouldn't
hurt to ask them.

Ivor

Yes, both voipfone and gradwell do virtual PBX services
Old July 27th 06, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Sandford

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Brian A" wrote in message

[snip]

Another idea is to use ta PABX, if you have a large
number of workers. You could even use the service of
easypabx or similar, I believe voipfone have a virtual
PABX but I have not investigated it.
I am not sure how you would monitor indvidual charging in
this case. If you decide to go that route then someone
else on here may well be able to advise.

Gradwell have a PABX function and have an excellent reputation for
business use. Not sure if they can do what the OP wants but it wouldn't
hurt to ask them.

They do. He'd need to pay for one account per every 2 simultaneous calls
(incoming or outgoing) though. He might be able to get away with a
straightforward SIP account or they could insist on the full Centrex one.

--
Thomas Sandford

Old December 28th 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

Gradwell have a PABX function and have an excellent reputation for
business use. Not sure if they can do what the OP wants but it wouldn't
hurt to ask them.

They do. He'd need to pay for one account per every 2 simultaneous calls
(incoming or outgoing) though. He might be able to get away with a
straightforward SIP account or they could insist on the full Centrex one.

I'm not sure about their PABX service, but with their incoming and
outgoing IAX/SIP services you only need one account, and you get 2
simultaneous incoming calls per number/line rental that you pay for
(3/month) and as many simultaneous outgoing calls as you want.