Complete Newbie Question

Old July 27th 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Complete Newbie Question

I had my pc running via a wireless router and it worked fine, but it
did take a while to set it all up. Now somebody has played with my pc
and it won't connect IE via the wireless connection, I have to go
through my old dial-up. The icon says that I still have a signal, I
just can't get the PC to accept it as a way of connecting to the
internet.

I've gone into Internet-Options-Connections and clicked "never dial",
but this hasn't worked. What else should I try?

Peter

Old July 27th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
knobber

Whoever had a little play with your PC get em back and ask them to put it
right again.
If they have not altered a/thing you could try release n renew IP or if you
want a quick n nasty way reset the router and start again,this might not
sound very helpful but if you could expand on what you have looked at and
checked maybe s/1 will be able to lend you a hand.

Regards,

KNOBBER
ups.com...

Old July 28th 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:54:39 +0100, Resident Drunk

I had my pc running via a wireless router and it worked fine, but it
did take a while to set it all up. Now somebody has played with my pc
and it won't connect IE via the wireless connection, I have to go
through my old dial-up. The icon says that I still have a signal, I
just can't get the PC to accept it as a way of connecting to the
internet.

I've gone into Internet-Options-Connections and clicked "never dial",
but this hasn't worked. What else should I try?

Peter

When the dialup window comes up have you tried clicking cancel (and
checking the 'do not ask me again' box ?.

Sometimes a couple of goes of this will force IE to connect - then once
it does go and download Firefox.

It's a sad fact of life that there remain SO many sites that will only give
full functionality if IE is used. You are therefore oblidged to maintain a
fully patched latest copy of that browser [as well].

If your life resolves around these sites then you are doing yourself no
favours by installing Firefox.

David Bradley
Old July 28th 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"David Bradley" wrote in message

[snip]

It's a sad fact of life that there remain SO many sites
that will only give full functionality if IE is used. You
are therefore oblidged to maintain a fully patched latest
copy of that browser [as well].

If your life resolves around these sites then you are
doing yourself no favours by installing Firefox.

Perhaps if people stayed away from the IE-only sites those responsible for
them might get their act together.

BTW whatever happened to Netscape..?!

Ivor

Old July 28th 06, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Ivor Jones wrote:
BTW whatever happened to Netscape..?!

Bit of an open-ended question, there, Ivor.

Browser, or company?
Old July 28th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

If your life resolves around these sites then you are doing yourself no
favours by installing Firefox.

David Bradley

So the stupidity goes on..... Better to email the webmaster s and point
out the error of their ways, worked at Argos.

Dave

Old July 28th 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:23:13 +0100, gort wrote:

If your life resolves around these sites then you are doing yourself no
favours by installing Firefox.

David Bradley

So the stupidity goes on..... Better to email the webmaster s and point
out the error of their ways, worked at Argos.

Dave

Yea, right. And who would that be for Microsoft dare I ask? You seem to
forget that while you might have a non Billy Goat browser you will need
updates and patches for your operating system and office programs, which are
only available using IE.

And before anyone rushes to their keyboard to point out the virtues of non
Microsoft operating systems and office program, read the verdict in the
September 2005 Computing Which on alternative systems first.

David Bradley

Old July 28th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

Yea, right. And who would that be for Microsoft dare I ask? You seem to
forget that while you might have a non Billy Goat browser you will need
updates and patches for your operating system and office programs, which are
only available using IE.

Why do you assume that?

Get a life!! Comissioned by M$ was it as per most of these ****e write ups.