Plusnet allowance increasing

Old July 27th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default Plusnet allowance increasing

Just had an email to say the Plusnet premier account allowance is going up
to 20Gb a month.
Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone is interested.

Old July 29th 06, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Beck" [email protected] wrote:

Plusnet premier account allowance is going up to 20Gb a month.

I take it you mean the "peak hours" allowance - do they include
web browsing in that limit?

I know some people don't like their handling of various matters,
but 100 GB/month for 21.99 seems a reasonable deal.
Old July 29th 06, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
"Beck" [email protected] wrote:

Plusnet premier account allowance is going up to 20Gb a month.

I take it you mean the "peak hours" allowance - do they include
web browsing in that limit?

I know some people don't like their handling of various matters,
but 100 GB/month for 21.99 seems a reasonable deal.

Its 21.99 for 20Gb a month. These are peak limits. Off peak (00:00 -
16:00) there is no limit but I think they shout if you consistently go in
the high figures.
I assume web browsing is included, as is all traffic, but browsing takes up
very little bandwidth.

Old July 30th 06, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

29 Jul 2006 20:33 "Beck" [email protected] wrote:

"Beck" [email protected] wrote:

Plusnet premier account allowance is going up to 20Gb a month.

I take it you mean the "peak hours" allowance - do they include
web browsing in that limit?

Its 21.99 for 20Gb a month. These are peak limits.

I assume web browsing is included, as is all traffic, but browsing takes
up very little bandwidth.

Mostly... I suspect a number of streaming services might show up as
being of HTTP and be counted. Try a fast webcam for 20 minutes and
see what it is reported as ?

Off peak (00:00 - 16:00) there is no limit but I think they shout if you
consistently go in the high figures.

Hmmm. With Eclipse there's a "fair use policy" which appeared not to state
an upper limit (or I missed it, a while ago). In theory, on the Evolution,
level 1, package, I'm meant to be lowest priority (with a peak hours limit
of 20 GB/month between 1800 and 0000). I've not had any problems so
I guess the heaviest users have buggered off to some other ISP as some
joker (on Evo level 4 at 29.99 with 50 GB allowance) wrote ( DSLzoneUK)
that they were "unusable". Minor niggle is no usage reports so cannot
even check if I was "close" to getting to 20 GB.
Old July 30th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Beck" [email protected] wrote:

[...]

Thats the thing, if a company cannot give you a traffic meter then how can
they possibly expect people to stay within limits?
Plusnet do have usage meters (although they messed it up once and lost some
traffic, to my benefit) and I have got used to my usage and I don't really
check it anymore. My average usage is between 3-6Gb per month depending on
how many xbox 360 demos have been downloaded. Thats the bulk of my traffic.

Old August 1st 06, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Beck" [email protected] wrote:

Thats the thing, if a company cannot give you a traffic meter then how
can they possibly expect people to stay within limits?

Well, it does seem dumb, but the limits are quite generous and the
lowest one was about double what I expect to use most months!

The worst they can do (for me, at least) is to ask me to move to the
next account up, at 18.99, with 30 GB allowance. I doubt I'll get to
transfer more than 20 GB most months, and it isn't automatic, from
what I've read, about upgrading, and nor is there any noticeable
traffic "management" - they allow some level of contention to do
that, I suppose.

My average usage is between 3-6Gb per month depending on how
many xbox 360 demos have been downloaded.

Not worth switching to a PAYG as they probably still charge for
changes to your account (when going to a cheaper one), so
you would perhaps not "break even" anyway.