A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

[070] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 27th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Solario
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 17
Default [070] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering


Paul Cupis wrote:
Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/07/nr_20060727

*******
Ofcom is also taking specific action to prevent scams on 070 personal
numbers, which are often confused with mobile numbers. Ofcom will end
070 personal numbering allocations from the end of 2007, and from early
2007 customers will have to get a pre-call announcement of call charges
for any calls above a certain price.

During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them. This will
allow 07 numbers to be used only for mobile services, ending any
potential confusion.
*******


Well thank you Ofcom! I seriously believed when I took a personal
number, just after they were first introduced, that it was mine for
life. I do not abuse it. Potential customers and my family can reach
me wherever I am. At times my personal number even reaches me on my
mobile in the US.

Why should people like me be punished because others have abused the
system?

S.

  #2  
Old July 27th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 802
Default [070] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering

Solario wrote:
Paul Cupis wrote:
Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/07/nr_20060727

*******
Ofcom is also taking specific action to prevent scams on 070 personal
numbers, which are often confused with mobile numbers. Ofcom will end
070 personal numbering allocations from the end of 2007, and from early
2007 customers will have to get a pre-call announcement of call charges
for any calls above a certain price.

During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them. This will
allow 07 numbers to be used only for mobile services, ending any
potential confusion.
*******


Well thank you Ofcom! I seriously believed when I took a personal
number, just after they were first introduced, that it was mine for
life. I do not abuse it. Potential customers and my family can reach
me wherever I am. At times my personal number even reaches me on my
mobile in the US.

Why should people like me be punished because others have abused the
system?


I don't think that they will be revoking the existing PNS number, they
say that they will not be issuing any more 070 ranges to operators from
the end of 2007.

After that, PNS call with charges greater than a threshold (to be
defined, maybe 20ppm), will have to have a charge-announcement.

I do not think they are saying that you'll have to surrender your
current 070 number (or that it will be removed by them).

Of course, the PNS number is not really /yours/, but belongs to the
range holder (as assigned by Ofcom).
  #3  
Old July 27th 06, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Solario
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 17
Default [070] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering


Paul Cupis wrote:
Solario wrote:
Paul Cupis wrote:
Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/07/nr_20060727

*******
Ofcom is also taking specific action to prevent scams on 070 personal
numbers, which are often confused with mobile numbers. Ofcom will end
070 personal numbering allocations from the end of 2007, and from early
2007 customers will have to get a pre-call announcement of call charges
for any calls above a certain price.

During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them. This will
allow 07 numbers to be used only for mobile services, ending any
potential confusion.
*******


Well thank you Ofcom! I seriously believed when I took a personal
number, just after they were first introduced, that it was mine for
life. I do not abuse it. Potential customers and my family can reach
me wherever I am. At times my personal number even reaches me on my
mobile in the US.

Why should people like me be punished because others have abused the
system?


I don't think that they will be revoking the existing PNS number, they
say that they will not be issuing any more 070 ranges to operators from
the end of 2007.

After that, PNS call with charges greater than a threshold (to be
defined, maybe 20ppm), will have to have a charge-announcement.

I do not think they are saying that you'll have to surrender your
current 070 number (or that it will be removed by them).

Of course, the PNS number is not really /yours/, but belongs to the
range holder (as assigned by Ofcom).


Thanks Paul,

Digital Mail/Redstone told me that it was mine! :-)

BTW, it is a 07050. Does anyone know where can I locate the current
cost for calling it? I believe it is not especially expensive to call.

S.

  #4  
Old July 27th 06, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Jono
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 151
Default [070] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering

Solario explained :
Paul Cupis wrote:
Solario wrote:
Paul Cupis wrote:
Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/07/nr_20060727

*******
Ofcom is also taking specific action to prevent scams on 070 personal
numbers, which are often confused with mobile numbers. Ofcom will end
070 personal numbering allocations from the end of 2007, and from early
2007 customers will have to get a pre-call announcement of call charges
for any calls above a certain price.

During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them. This will
allow 07 numbers to be used only for mobile services, ending any
potential confusion.
*******

Well thank you Ofcom! I seriously believed when I took a personal
number, just after they were first introduced, that it was mine for
life. I do not abuse it. Potential customers and my family can reach
me wherever I am. At times my personal number even reaches me on my
mobile in the US.

Why should people like me be punished because others have abused the
system?


I don't think that they will be revoking the existing PNS number, they
say that they will not be issuing any more 070 ranges to operators from
the end of 2007.

After that, PNS call with charges greater than a threshold (to be
defined, maybe 20ppm), will have to have a charge-announcement.

I do not think they are saying that you'll have to surrender your
current 070 number (or that it will be removed by them).

Of course, the PNS number is not really /yours/, but belongs to the
range holder (as assigned by Ofcom).


Thanks Paul,

Digital Mail/Redstone told me that it was mine! :-)

BTW, it is a 07050. Does anyone know where can I locate the current
cost for calling it? I believe it is not especially expensive to call.

S.


I think you are mistaken
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Call_Charges.boo/00161.htm

07050 is either j or k rate - 31.99p or 37.495, depending on the 6th
digit.


  #5  
Old July 27th 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Andy Pandy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 79
Default [070] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering


"Solario" wrote in message
ups.com...
BTW, it is a 07050. Does anyone know where can I locate the current
cost for calling it? I believe it is not especially expensive to call.


Need the next digit. Either a k or j charge band:

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c....boo/16311.htm

About 32p or 37.5p per min peak. Cheaper off peak.

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c....boo/00161.htm

--
Andy


  #6  
Old July 28th 06, 07:03 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
news
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 74
Default [070] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering

In message , Paul Cupis
writes

I don't think that they will be revoking the existing PNS number, they
say that they will not be issuing any more 070 ranges to operators from
the end of 2007.

I do not think they are saying that you'll have to surrender your
current 070 number (or that it will be removed by them).


Erm, what they said was:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To me, this means that there is a real possibility that 07 personal
numbers will be replaced by 06 numbers if the demand for genuine 07
personal numbers is not perceived to be high enough.

--
Ian
  #7  
Old July 28th 06, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 802
Default [070] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering

news wrote:
In message , Paul Cupis
writes

I don't think that they will be revoking the existing PNS number, they
say that they will not be issuing any more 070 ranges to operators from
the end of 2007.

I do not think they are saying that you'll have to surrender your
current 070 number (or that it will be removed by them).


Erm, what they said was:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
During 2007 Ofcom will assess demand for genuine personal numbering
services and may then open replacement 06 numbers for them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To me, this means that there is a real possibility that 07 personal
numbers will be replaced by 06 numbers if the demand for genuine 07
personal numbers is not perceived to be high enough.


Ah yes, sorry, I was thinking of the shorter term of 2007 (which is when
most of the changes in the document are slated for).

******
If 06 is opened then [end of 2007], current 070 services would be
expected to transfer by the end of July 2009, and we would cease to
allocate new 070 personal numbers after 2007. As part of this review
Ofcom will attempt to contact all providers who have been allocated 070
personal numbers.
******
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[03 geographic range] Ofcom plans future of UK Telephone Numbering Solario uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 July 27th 06 07:00 PM
UK phones numbering plan and cost to different prefixes from BT? AKK uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 4 January 17th 06 12:52 PM
Numbering Q Phil Partridge uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 7 December 10th 05 07:28 PM
BBC: Microsoft plans telephone service Brian A uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 46 September 14th 05 05:35 PM
IP Telephone off of a Avaya Telephone switch Netfool uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 9 February 15th 05 12:09 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2020 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.