Using a BT Business Hub router with another ISP

Old July 28th 06, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Stovell

Default Using a BT Business Hub router with another ISP

I've been given a BT Business Hub Broadband router, a BT2700HGV.

I've been trying to get it to work with my ISP, Nildram, without success.
I've changed the VPI/VCI to 0/38, and input my login details. It detects
the link, but it won't login, saying there's a service error on the
broadband connection.

Is this router somehow tied to BT broadband? Does anybody know if it is
possible to use this router with Nildram?

I want to replace my current network, based on an old P133 running
Smoothwall and an Alcatel frog. The P133 is on it's last legs, the psu fan
has broken and the HDD is giving errors.

MTIA.

--
Phil Stovell, South Hampshire, UK

"They said I should not take him to the police, but rather
let him pay a dowry for my goat because he used it as his wife"

Old July 28th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Phil Stovell wrote:

Is this router somehow tied to BT broadband? Does anybody know if it is
possible to use this router with Nildram?

Your router is not just tied to BT broadband it is tied to the specific
business line that it was supplied to run on. Now it is possible to
have that lock taken off by BT so it runs on any BT business broadband
line, but I suspect that you have a problem where the router has
recognised you don't have a valid login for BT business broadband and
isn't letting you log on, can you log on with test details
[email protected]_domain? You may need new firmware to do what you want.

Regards

William Macleod

Old July 29th 06, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Stovell

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:14:41 -0700, willie wrote:

Phil Stovell wrote:

Is this router somehow tied to BT broadband? Does anybody know if it is
possible to use this router with Nildram?

Your router is not just tied to BT broadband it is tied to the specific
business line that it was supplied to run on. Now it is possible to have
that lock taken off by BT so it runs on any BT business broadband line,
but I suspect that you have a problem where the router has recognised you
don't have a valid login for BT business broadband and isn't letting you
log on, can you log on with test details [email protected]_domain? You may
need new firmware to do what you want.

Regards

William Macleod

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll ditch it and buy a new one.

Old August 4th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I eventually managed to get one to work with my Eclipse ISP at home.
Enter the manual configuration key from www.2wire.com and override the
settings.
It still kept failing with a message saying that the username and
password were wrong until I set the MTU value. The BT2700HGV is a bit
of a pain to setup.

--
BarryW
Old August 7th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 22:21:34 +0100, BarryW wrote:

I eventually managed to get one to work with my Eclipse ISP at home. Enter
the manual configuration key from www.2wire.com and override the settings.
It still kept failing with a message saying that the username and password
were wrong until I set the MTU value. The BT2700HGV is a bit of a pain to
setup.

Thanks, I'll give that a try later.

Old August 9th 06, 06:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 22:21:34 +0100, BarryW wrote:

I eventually managed to get one to work with my Eclipse ISP at home. Enter
the manual configuration key from www.2wire.com and override the settings.
It still kept failing with a message saying that the username and password
were wrong until I set the MTU value. The BT2700HGV is a bit of a pain to
setup.

I got it to work. Thanks again for the help!