Broadband not working with old Home Highway box on the wall...please help

Old July 28th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

Default Broadband not working with old Home Highway box on the wall...please help

My brother has gone a bought broadband from Tiscali.

Despite this judgement error, he has struggled to get the ADSL modem
to work.

His house used to have a "Home Highway" setup when he moved in. He
cancelled it and BT just terminated the contract and left him with the
HH box in place. This box provides the only phone socket in the house
and 'surprise, surprise' he gets a 'No Dialtone' when trying to dial
on the ADSL modem, yet he gets an audable dialtone on his phone.

I have checked the filters and setup of the PC/ADSL modem and its all
kosha, but I fear this Home Highway box is to blame.

Can anyone give any positive confirmation that this HH box is to
blame, as I dont want to tell him to pay to have it removed if he
doesnt need to.

TIA

Harry
Old July 28th 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Harry wrote on Fri, 28 Jul 2006 at 16:39:28:
My brother has gone a bought broadband from Tiscali.

Despite this judgement error, he has struggled to get the ADSL modem
to work.

His house used to have a "Home Highway" setup when he moved in. He
cancelled it and BT just terminated the contract and left him with the
HH box in place. This box provides the only phone socket in the house
and 'surprise, surprise' he gets a 'No Dialtone' when trying to dial
on the ADSL modem, yet he gets an audable dialtone on his phone.

I have checked the filters and setup of the PC/ADSL modem and its all
kosha, but I fear this Home Highway box is to blame.

Can anyone give any positive confirmation that this HH box is to
blame, as I dont want to tell him to pay to have it removed if he
doesnt need to.

I have the same history of Home Highway, with the HH box left in situ
when I cancelled HH. However, I have no problems with ADSL over the same
phone line. I'm more inclined to suspect that ADSL hasn't yet been
activated on his line.

--
Tony
Old July 28th 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"Harry" wrote in message
| My brother has gone a bought broadband from Tiscali.
|
| Despite this judgement error, he has struggled to get the ADSL modem
| to work.
|
| His house used to have a "Home Highway" setup when he moved in. He
| cancelled it and BT just terminated the contract and left him with the
| HH box in place. This box provides the only phone socket in the house
| and 'surprise, surprise' he gets a 'No Dialtone' when trying to dial
| on the ADSL modem, yet he gets an audable dialtone on his phone.
|
| I have checked the filters and setup of the PC/ADSL modem and its all
| kosha, but I fear this Home Highway box is to blame.
|
| Can anyone give any positive confirmation that this HH box is to
| blame, as I dont want to tell him to pay to have it removed if he
| doesnt need to.
|
| TIA
|
| Harry

The HH box puts a loop on the line which knocks out DSL and dialtone. As a
temprory fix, all you need to do is remove the NTE5 faceplate (Marked BT Digital
Access) and plug in to the test jack behind it. You should find you have
dialtone there. It's just the box and faceplate that hold it off.

You can leave everything else intact, just unplug the red hot 50v PSU to save
your money. If you want to remove the HH box itself, just slide it firmly
upwards. It's only hung in on a couple of screws. You can also unclip the power
cord and faceplate lead and box it up for a rainy day. Don't be tempted to try
and get it to work with the DIGITAL ACCESS faceplate. There is no continuity
from the back to the front of it and it wont pass dialtone unless you strap out
certain terminals.

Hope that helps and gets you going.

Old July 28th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Tony" wrote in message
news
Harry wrote on Fri, 28 Jul 2006 at 16:39:28:

I have the same history of Home Highway, with the HH box left in situ when
I cancelled HH. However, I have no problems with ADSL over the same phone
line.

Please could you clarify how your phone service is delivered? Did you get
left with one channel on the ISDN or did they revert to PSTN and disconnect
the wire from the NTE5 (faceplate for ISDN) to the NTE9 (HH box) and leave
it on the wall.

Old July 28th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

R. Mark Clayton wrote on Fri, 28 Jul 2006
at 18:44:40:
Please could you clarify how your phone service is delivered? Did you
get left with one channel on the ISDN or did they revert to PSTN and
disconnect the wire from the NTE5 (faceplate for ISDN) to the NTE9 (HH
box) and leave it on the wall.

I believe that the service reverted to PSTN, but I don't recall any home
visit to disconnect anything. There is still a cable from the NTE5 to
the NTE9.
--
Tony
Old July 28th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Harry wrote:
[...]

Take the digi frontplate of the NTE, that will disconnect the Highway.
If it then works it may be time to buy a front plate filter to fill
the gap left & you can throw away the BT Highway

Old July 28th 06, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news

"Harry" wrote in message
My brother has gone a bought broadband from Tiscali.

Despite this judgement error, he has struggled to get the ADSL modem
to work.

Why? Because it shows you can't "fix it" unless he gets the same as you?
Nothing wrong with Tiscali, my connection is at 8.2Mbps and downloads fairly
fast all day. Tiscali is cheaper than other ISPs that provide the same
service. The support might not be as good as other ISPs provide, but you
should never need it unless you're a complete beginner. Or a "friend"
advising someone! Loads of them in this group. They pretend to be experts
to friends, then get on here and get advice which they later pass off as
their own knowledge!

He needs to read what he was sent and follow the advice on screen first, it
tells him which number to call once some test procedures are followed.
Tiscali will then advise.

It sounds like he needs to fit a new main socket or one of the filtered
ones.

That would be explained to him if he followed the documents and fault
finding procedures sent by Tiscali.

Old July 29th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Tony" wrote in message
R. Mark Clayton wrote on Fri, 28 Jul 2006
at 18:44:40:
Please could you clarify how your phone service is delivered? Did you get
left with one channel on the ISDN or did they revert to PSTN and
disconnect the wire from the NTE5 (faceplate for ISDN) to the NTE9 (HH
box) and leave it on the wall.

I believe that the service reverted to PSTN, but I don't recall any home
visit to disconnect anything. There is still a cable from the NTE5 to the
NTE9.

Is there dial tone on the master port of the HH box?

--
Tony

Old July 31st 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:04:28 +0100, Tony
wrote:

[...]

The ADSL is activated. This has been an issue for him for the last 2
months. BT have checked the line and he had tried 2 different ADSL
modems and several different filters. Still no joy. He even carried
the whole PC over to his NTE5 and took off the face plate to use the
service socket behind. Still no joy.

Note, he gets the dial tone on a phone but the PC reports no dial tone
when he tries to connect.

Harry
Old July 31st 06, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:22:30 GMT, "Pier Danone" Pier
wrote:

"Harry" wrote in message
.. .
| My brother has gone a bought broadband from Tiscali.
|
| Despite this judgement error, he has struggled to get the ADSL modem
| to work.
|
| His house used to have a "Home Highway" setup when he moved in. He
| cancelled it and BT just terminated the contract and left him with the
| HH box in place. This box provides the only phone socket in the house
| and 'surprise, surprise' he gets a 'No Dialtone' when trying to dial
| on the ADSL modem, yet he gets an audable dialtone on his phone.
|
| I have checked the filters and setup of the PC/ADSL modem and its all
| kosha, but I fear this Home Highway box is to blame.
|
| Can anyone give any positive confirmation that this HH box is to
| blame, as I dont want to tell him to pay to have it removed if he
| doesnt need to.
|
| TIA
|
| Harry

The HH box puts a loop on the line which knocks out DSL and dialtone. As a
temprory fix, all you need to do is remove the NTE5 faceplate (Marked BT Digital
Access) and plug in to the test jack behind it. You should find you have
dialtone there. It's just the box and faceplate that hold it off.

Their is a dialtone on the HH box and the NTE5. But the PC returns a
no dial tone error when he tries to connect using the ADSL modem. This
is regardless of whether its connected to the HH box, NTE5 or test
jack.

Harry