SPA 3000 volume?

Old July 28th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Pawson

Default SPA 3000 volume?

I have had an sap300 for a few days now and I notice that the volume of
incoming calls on the pstn is much lower than those on the voip line
(line1). I have looked at the configuration pages, but I can't find a
setting for this.

Is it possible to alter the level on the pstn line, and if so, how?
Old July 28th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Ian Pawson" wrote in message
I have had an sap300 for a few days now and I notice that the volume of
incoming calls on the pstn is much lower than those on the voip line
(line1).

It's a known quirk AFAIAA

I have looked at the configuration pages, but I can't find a
setting for this.

Gain?

Is it possible to alter the level on the pstn line, and if so, how?

My efforts have not yielded much benefit...........I'll be bookmarking this
thread, though.

Old July 29th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:15:54 -0000, Martin
wrote:

"Jono" wrote:

"Ian Pawson" wrote in message
I have had an sap300 for a few days now and I notice that the volume of
incoming calls on the pstn is much lower than those on the voip line
(line1).

It's a known quirk AFAIAA

I have looked at the configuration pages, but I can't find a
setting for this.

Gain?

Is it possible to alter the level on the pstn line, and if so, how?

My efforts have not yielded much benefit...........I'll be bookmarking this
thread, though.

If you dick around for long enough on the advanced config pages you may get
there. However, high gain causes echo at the remote end!

As Jono said...gain
FXO Port Impedance:
SPA To PSTN Gain:
PSTN To SPA Gain:
All above may need adjustment. As stated already, this is a known
problem with the SPA-3000. Personally, I haven't found it a problem as
I don't have a PSTN line. I find that the PSTN connection works very
well, with lots of volume, as a door phone. I experimented, using
only a 50V supply and a 1K resistor connected to a standard analogue
phone. As it does work so well this way it is strange that it doesn't
perform adequately for its intended purpose.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 30th 06, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Martin wrote:
"Jono" wrote:

"Ian Pawson" wrote in message
I have had an sap300 for a few days now and I notice that the volume of
incoming calls on the pstn is much lower than those on the voip line
(line1).

It's a known quirk AFAIAA

I have looked at the configuration pages, but I can't find a
setting for this.

Gain?

Is it possible to alter the level on the pstn line, and if so, how?

My efforts have not yielded much benefit...........I'll be bookmarking this
thread, though.

If you dick around for long enough on the advanced config pages you may get
there. However, high gain causes echo at the remote end!

I have had a play, and it took some time to get an improvement without
increasing the echo - now seems to be about what I want. Thanks for the
pointers.
Old July 30th 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ian Pawson laid this down on his screen :

I have had a play, and it took some time to get an improvement without
increasing the echo - now seems to be about what I want. Thanks for the
pointers.

Perhaps you could share what you've arrived at?

Old July 30th 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Martin wrote:
Jono wrote:

Ian Pawson laid this down on his screen :

I have had a play, and it took some time to get an improvement without
increasing the echo - now seems to be about what I want. Thanks for the
pointers.

Perhaps you could share what you've arrived at?

Yes please! That would be useful: I could then have a fresh play with my
setup and give the figures for comparison with yours. However, my setup is
a bit odd, as it includes an unusually-faint PSTN line(*) and a vintage
handset (which itself needs modest gain).

Sounds good to me, I'm getting near the stage where I'm thinking about
burning mine in a ceremony and putting together a new server that's got
space for a linecard in it.
Old July 31st 06, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:
Ian Pawson laid this down on his screen :

I have had a play, and it took some time to get an improvement without
increasing the echo - now seems to be about what I want. Thanks for the
pointers.

Perhaps you could share what you've arrived at?

Ok, only 2 changes made:-
1) on the 'regional' tab changed FXS port output gain from -3 to -6
2) on the 'pstn' tab changed pstn to spa gain from 0 to +6

These settings seem to work best for my setup give optimum sound levels
without excessive echo.

Note that I use a dect system for my phones, also, I am a long way from
the exchange so I don't use adsl, but use ntl cable for broadband.
Old July 31st 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

It happens that Ian Pawson formulated :
Jono wrote:
Ian Pawson laid this down on his screen :

I have had a play, and it took some time to get an improvement without
increasing the echo - now seems to be about what I want. Thanks for the
pointers.

Perhaps you could share what you've arrived at?

Ok, only 2 changes made:-
1) on the 'regional' tab changed FXS port output gain from -3 to -6
2) on the 'pstn' tab changed pstn to spa gain from 0 to +6

These settings seem to work best for my setup give optimum sound levels
without excessive echo.

Note that I use a dect system for my phones, also, I am a long way from
the exchange so I don't use adsl, but use ntl cable for broadband.

Thank you for that, If I've not already got those settings in use, I'll
give 'em a go.

Old July 31st 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:

Ok, only 2 changes made:-
1) on the 'regional' tab changed FXS port output gain from -3 to -6
2) on the 'pstn' tab changed pstn to spa gain from 0 to +6

These settings seem to work best for my setup give optimum sound levels
without excessive echo.

Note that I use a dect system for my phones, also, I am a long way from
the exchange so I don't use adsl, but use ntl cable for broadband.

FWIW, I have:

Regional tab: FXS port input gain -2, FXS port output gain -2
PSTN tab: SPA to PSTN 14, PSTN to SPA 14

I don't actually know if it goes up to 14! (This Is Spinal Tap anyone?)

I'm not sure that this will be my final config. Needs more testing first.
This is on a faint PSTN line, and one of the handsets is on the quiet side
too.

- Martin.